From Pair to Power: Did My Clownfish Switch Teams?

brkesar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I need some help.

Background
I bought two Oscellaris clownfish over 6months ago, one larger (black and white) and one much smaller about 1/3 the size (orange and black).
They hit it off instantly, sparks flying you could say lol. They were inseparable, the larger one was always the dominant, protecting the smaller one. So we assumed bigger one was female, smaller was male winning! (Attached photo comparison)

Current situation
This week we have seen a change, all the sudden the small one has a HUGE belly (attached photo of fatty) and is hosting the anemone nonstop. Only coming out to eat then going right back. The larger one is still staying very close to the smaller one but appears to be charging at it then doing the twitching / submission. (Attached video of this)

Questions
Is it possible the smaller one has changed sex to female and is getting ready to lay eggs?
Does that mean I now have 2 females in my tank, if yes then do I need to plan to remove one?

What a roller coaster this has been. Thank you for all your help! I have attached photos of when they were first introduced so you can see the clear size difference and then photos / videos of what’s going on tonight.
IMG_1993.jpeg

IMG_1992.png

Attachments

• IMG_1991.mov
    22.9 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
brkesar

brkesar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I need some help.

Background
I bought two Oscellaris clownfish over 6months ago, one larger (black and white) and one much smaller about 1/3 the size (orange and black).
They hit it off instantly, sparks flying you could say lol. They were inseparable, the larger one was always the dominant, protecting the smaller one. So we assumed bigger one was female, smaller was male winning! (Attached photo comparison)

Current situation
This week we have seen a change, all the sudden the small one has a HUGE belly (attached photo of fatty) and is hosting the anemone nonstop. Only coming out to eat then going right back. The larger one is still staying very close to the smaller one but appears to be charging at it then doing the twitching / submission. (Attached video of this)

Questions
Is it possible the smaller one has changed sex to female and is getting ready to lay eggs?
Does that mean I now have 2 females in my tank, if yes then do I need to plan to remove one?

What a roller coaster this has been. Thank you for all your help! I have attached photos of when they were first introduced so you can see the clear size difference and then photos / videos of what’s going on tonight.
IMG_1993.jpeg

IMG_1992.png

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back