OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was there back in May and sold everything off. My tank was absolutely thriving but I had no care or desire to keep going. It was nothing but a chore and zero enjoyment. Like you, I will not be setting up another tank for years, if I ever do. It certainly won't be in my current home with my current tank (I have converted it into a dart frog vivarium.)

The truth is only you will really know if it is time to take a break but if it helps at all, I don't miss having a tank one bit. The responsibility just wasn't worth it any longer for me
That’s where I’m at now, just torn in the ‘connection’ I’ve gotten with my fish, especially my foxface. I upgraded to this tank specific alt for him and I still love that fish just feel bad I am giving them a bad home. Plus like you said the responsibility it getting too much, even a simple vacation I really worry about the tank when I’m gone

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of different but in my opinion all solid advice. The thing that sticks out to me the most is again the lack of desire. I would assess if this is only related to the tank, or to more of life. If only the tank, probably a good idea to move on at least for now. If this lack of desire hold through more areas of your life, I would seriously consider talking to someone before making any changes. You don’t want to turn around in a few weeks and realize that losing the tank increases that feeling of desire.
I was out for quite a stretch due to family and financial considerations, but kept my tanks and often wanted to start up again. When I finally did, they bring out whole family joy. But I agree, it is a lot of work so it really needs to be a desire.
More to life, even my job is starting to really bother me and I used to absolutely love it. It’s my dads buisness and I’ve grown up around that type of buisness since I was a kid and always brought me lots of happiness, but over the summer it’s been very draining on me

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No shame in shutting things down if the hobby is more work and frustration than fun. If you do go that route, consider keeping the live rock in a plastic tub in moving, heated saltwater in your garage. That way if you decide to jump back in, you’ll still have the cycled rock (it’s brutal trying to find real live rock these days).

If you want to stay in but hate the maintenance, consider turning your reef into a FOWLR with a fleece roller, an ATO and an auto feeder. You can’t get much lower maintenance than with that setup.
Already there lol, the apex has made it so nice for me. Sadly I don’t have a garage or anywhere to keep it, I’m in a 950 sq ft apartment and the tank is in my living room, plus it gets down to about -40 C here come winter. Noise hairs freeze just looking at that temperature haha

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect and understand your decision.
At 55 I realize I've done a lot of things I didn't want to do that brought me stress and anxiety.
I don't want to do that anymore.
Life is short.
Be happy.
You have my support.
Truly appreciate it!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s been going on for a while and it feel’s more like work i think you should pull the plug and get out now, are you taking any medication, reason i ask i started taking those shots for weight loss back in June and I’ve felt like total crap since i started taking those shots both physically and mentally, i feel like a slug i don’t want to do anything i have no energy to do anything, I’m just doing bear minimum on my tanks it’s a total drag
Not taking any medication or anything like that but I feel the same way. Are you considering quitting as well?

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting from when I moved in my current apartment back in November of 2023 I have really lost intrest into my tank. I’m not sure why and can’t explain it but I just don’t really care for it. My tank is covered in green hair as well as a few aiptasia. Water change hasn’t been done in weeks and even just feeding the fish can be annoying too sometimes. I more feel bad for the fish as they should have a much better tank and someone who cares more like I used to.

Originally when I lost intrest I thought to myself, this has happened before and just give it some time and I will get back into it. Well that never happened and it’s been 10 months. I’ve tried to force myself by cleaning it up, doing water changes weekly but I just had no drive to do it.

I don’t want to make a mistake if I do leave the hobby because I won’t be able to restart for many years. I love my fish collection that I have created and I’m not sure what to do, stay or leave. I feel like if I stay I will continue on this way and keep making life worse for the fish by not giving them a clean home and if I leave I will regret it dearly.
Over the last year I have been pretty unmotivated by the hobby, I have had scams when buying fish and equipment, I have battled gha in my 20 gallon nano, my fish suddenly died one night in there, no fish in my 20 gallon tank and no fish in my 65 gallon either. I got a new job 5 months ago which leaves me very little free time to enjoy the hobby, I saved up a lot of money for a considerable time to get new and better quality equipment for my tanks, and a month after getting a new job I got into a car accident where I had to get rid of all the money I had saved up to upgrade my tanks, it was devastating and a hard blow to my interest in this hobby, I'm currently running my tanks on autopilot due to lack of time and interest but I've been here for over 20 years and I know the day will come when the enthusiasm will return, always I'm motivated by reading users' build threads and taking notes for when it's my turn, and of course looking at all the amazing pictures of their systems, in the meantime I have to deal with other situations in life, I guess.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby can be pretty brutal at times. I think when things are going poorly, many of us tend to build resentment and interest fades.

I hope you find your mojo again. Knowing me, I'd plan a major shakeup to reinvigorate my investment into the hobby. Best advice I can give is to honestly assess your reef keeping and find out what works for you and your situation.

What works for me is high difficulty Corals and fish.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posts like this puzzle me. What are you looking for, permission to give up or motivation to continue? None of us can do that for you and if we do guide you, are you doing what you want to do or what other people think you should do?

Point blank, if you have lost interest then quit. It is that simple. It is not a child or a job or a life essential task. If it doesn't make you happy or you have lost interest, then quite and find something else that you enjoy. If you will regret quitting then ask yourself why. Only you and your family (f that matters) can decide what is best for you.

If you are looking for discussion to ease the decision, I get it it. But remember that none of these people are you and the only thing that really matters is what will ultimately make you happy.

Last edited:

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting from when I moved in my current apartment back in November of 2023 I have really lost intrest into my tank. I’m not sure why and can’t explain it but I just don’t really care for it. My tank is covered in green hair as well as a few aiptasia. Water change hasn’t been done in weeks and even just feeding the fish can be annoying too sometimes. I more feel bad for the fish as they should have a much better tank and someone who cares more like I used to.

Originally when I lost intrest I thought to myself, this has happened before and just give it some time and I will get back into it. Well that never happened and it’s been 10 months. I’ve tried to force myself by cleaning it up, doing water changes weekly but I just had no drive to do it.

I don’t want to make a mistake if I do leave the hobby because I won’t be able to restart for many years. I love my fish collection that I have created and I’m not sure what to do, stay or leave. I feel like if I stay I will continue on this way and keep making life worse for the fish by not giving them a clean home and if I leave I will regret it dearly.
I can relate. I tore my last tank down 12 years ago. I lost complete interest until about 4 months ago. Now I have a new tank up and running and I'm obsessed once again.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posts like this puzzle me. What are you looking for, permission to give up or motivation to continue? None of us can do that for you and if we do guide you, are you doing what you want to do or what other people think you should do?

Point blank, if you have lost interest then quit. It is that simple. It is not a child or a job or a life essential task. If it doesn't make you happy or you have lost interest, then quite and find something else that you enjoy. If you will regret quitting then ask yourself why. Only you and your family (f that matters) can decide what is best for you.

If you are looking for discussion to ease the decision, I get it it. But remember that none of these people are you and the only thing that really matters is what will ultimately make you happy.
I understand what you’re saying but my reason for this is to take to other reefers about this and see what they had to say. I’m not looking for someone to convince me to stay or to give me permission to leave it’s just to get other insights on it. From this post I’ve learned a lot

stoned-reefer83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I feel like quitting and I'm only about 7 months in. I started with a 10 gallon and I'm still trying to balance that thing. I'm currently building a 75 gallon but even then I don't think I'll tear down my nano. I think for me the ugly tank stage discourages me to some extent but I don't like the feeling of defeat so I keep on fighting lol

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sell it, take a break and get back into it when or if you want. I stepped away for 10 years and jumped back in. Don’t over think it.
What part of N Ontario are you from? I’m originally from Kirkland Lake.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell it, take a break and get back into it when or if you want. I stepped away for 10 years and jumped back in. Don’t over think it.
What part of N Ontario are you from? I’m originally from Kirkland Lake.
I’m located in Sudbury, did you ever regret selling it all off?

SueAubu

There's always room on the sand!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel ya. We had huge plans for a monster build and I lost a bunch of truly magnificent fish over the stress of a move and completely lost my excitement for the project. It's been months and I'm slowly getting it back.

Take some time to sit with your fish. Hair algae and all, they don't care.... And water changes are overrated.

I put my face really close to the glass and "go underwater" with the reef. I found that helped me start to care again.

Good luck and I hope to say 'welcome back'!!

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not taking any medication or anything like that but I feel the same way. Are you considering quitting as well?
No i just started a new tank but this medication I’ve been taking all summer has me so messed up i just don’t feel like doing anything, i don’t even feel like feeding my fish or testing water, I’m just like a vegetable, i only have 3 more shots left and I’m going to tell my Dr I’m done taking this crap

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back