OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every hobby is everyone’s hobby , you need to know what is right for you, you shouldn’t be drained and dread your hobby , you should wake up everyday with excitement and fulfillment from your hobby.

If your hobby gets to the point where it’s becoming a chore that you dread doing then find another hobby. We are all human do what feels right for you nothing is wrong with taking a break and leaving maybe in a few years you will be back, or you will find another hobby you enjoy . Don’t take life too seriously buddy :) it’s life…
Very true and great advice. This thread just reminds me how great the people on here are, always willing to help out no matter the circumstance!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you a member of any local reef clubs? Meeting others face to face and talking about whatever reef or life in general may put some motivation back in you. Shared interests of others adds to the fun. :)
I'm old, and I've gone in and out of this hobby more times than most. I've been back and quite dedicated more recently, and I'm realizing that participating here on R2R helps me stay motivated to keep up my tanks, and to keep learning. Great reply!

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I don't have lot of options for local people to talk reefing or aquariums in general. I like R2R, it gives me an outlet, which keeps me motivated and on my maintenance.

THE_MAD_REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit for five years but kept my tank running and just fed fish daily. I got back in it a few months ago with a seven year old kole tang that jumped 300 times in price lol. Got a bigger tank and moved rocks and fish in. I sold the coral so I didn't have maintenance but now I'm glad I held onto the fish and rocks because I can't find either anymore. If you take a break, just keep the tank going with some hardy fish for when you go again. It's easier to get in it again when you don't have a cycle and you can jump back in.

Shawnd08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone through times when I lost interest. it was usually during the summer when I was home a lot less and didn't have the time to spend on the tank. It also didn't help any if the tank was over run with algae and not thriving. but as fall and winter came I would get back into. Then i got a bigger tank and have been enjoying that for the past year.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's discouragement because of bad conditions in the tank there's really 2 options for this: start over fresh which might give you that spark again and re-scape the tank, etc, or you can trudge through the cycle of combating the negatives of the tank and take measures to resolve it, and from that you'll be more equipped to tackle that in the future.

This hobby is and always will be a struggle in some capacity - it's how you manage that and have expectations that are true to yourself.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ok to take a pause.

Reef tanks are big users of time. (And cash)

But life changes,

I “paused” for a decade until retired.

Then with tons of time on my hands, went back in.

Way way easier now.
I recently started 3 tanks, and couldn't agree more - one day, I just realized I have triplets of every gear - ARGH!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ok to take a pause.

Reef tanks are big users of time. (And cash)

But life changes,

I “paused” for a decade until retired.

Then with tons of time on my hands, went back in.

Way way easier now.
That’s exactly it, I don’t have much spare time on my hands and everything is so expensive here in Canada I just don’t have the extra funds for my tank currently.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My advice would be to do whatever makes you happy. If that’s tearing the tank down then so be it. Just don’t be too quick to sell all your gear. You may find that a short break and a tank reset was all you needed to get excited about the hobby again. Either way best of luck with whatever path you choose.
couldn’t have said this any better so I copied it LOL
That’s another thing I forgot to mention, all my coral died off a few months ago for unknown reasons. I’m talking rocks had loads of euphyllia and all different kinds, they were my favourite.
…fwiw here is another voice encouraging a break, I’ve done it following a heartbreaking crash, Imean I was devastated…
Anymore I no longer place so much emotional baggage on my tanks…
maybe do a FOWLR for a minute, that way you keep your equipment should you change your mind latter…

Marine bettas and certain eels are great for this because they are extremely hardy and great fit for a busy life..and if you go back to reef they will transfer over

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's discouragement because of bad conditions in the tank there's really 2 options for this: start over fresh which might give you that spark again and re-scape the tank, etc, or you can trudge through the cycle of combating the negatives of the tank and take measures to resolve it, and from that you'll be more equipped to tackle that in the future.

This hobby is and always will be a struggle in some capacity - it's how you manage that and have expectations that are true to yourself.
The algae isn’t really it, it’s just a loss of intrest for no reason. I used to not mind the challenges like you said it would be a very Intresting learning curve and I enjoyed over coming the problems but just don’t have that spark anymore

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you feel like it's a drain on you, that is not fair to you, your loved ones, or the tank inhabitants. Nothing wrong with giving it a break, or leaving all together. You owe it to yourself and your fish to do what is best. I got out of this hobby 17 years ago for the exact same reason. I just now, back in September got back into it. I started fresh with all new (and very updated after 17 years) equipment. You do what makes you feel good. IF you feel like your tank is suffering from you head not being in it, just rehome the fish, break everything down. If you have room, store the tank for a bit just in case. The rest gets out dated very quickly. Do not beat yourself up over this. We all go thru it at some point, for many different reasons. Good luck to you, whatever way you go.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in and out many times over the last 15 years. Here is my advice:

1. Dedicate 2 hours one day to cleaning the tank up - this is a one time thing, and will be easier for your brain to commit to. Commit to 1 thorough clean - remember, even if you tear it down, it will be much faster and easier if you've done this.

2. Figure out the worst parts of the hobby for you right now and make a list of ways you could fix them. From your post:

• Feeding - buy an Eheim auto feeder. Flakes and pellets are enough, and you can mix in a little frozen when you feel like it.
  • Algae - One way to fight algae is to reduce light. This opens a new door - what if you downsized your corals to only the hardiest, lowest needs coral? Sell off the finnicky SPS and LPS, reduce your lighting schedule to just 4-6 hours when you are home at night.
  • Maintenance - See above. One of the keys to staying in this hobby is making it as little work as possible. That way when you are feeling down, the tank can still thrive on auto pilot. Switch your tank to a hands off softie tank.
Don't worry about algae on the side panels, and get a magnet scraper for the front so you can do it once in a while without committing to getting water all over.

If fish are your true passion, you can set up your tank so that it only requires the bare minimum intervention, and it will still be a wonderfully healthy habitat for the fish.

One final note....I really think these new rimless tanks are much harder to maintain and the added problem of evap is such a pain. If you downgrade, go with a regular ol' rimmed tank with glass tops.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2006 I quit for 13 years. Looking back, part of me wishes I stayed in. But in reality, I had to make a journey that shaped where I am now in life, and I’m glad it all happened the way it did. Just offering my experience, but this choice is your own journey to make. You have our support either way. Good luck!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been in and out many times over the last 15 years. Here is my advice:

1. Dedicate 2 hours one day to cleaning the tank up - this is a one time thing, and will be easier for your brain to commit to. Commit to 1 thorough clean - remember, even if you tear it down, it will be much faster and easier if you've done this.

2. Figure out the worst parts of the hobby for you right now and make a list of ways you could fix them. From your post:

• Feeding - buy an Eheim auto feeder. Flakes and pellets are enough, and you can mix in a little frozen when you feel like it.
  • Algae - One way to fight algae is to reduce light. This opens a new door - what if you downsized your corals to only the hardiest, lowest needs coral? Sell off the finnicky SPS and LPS, reduce your lighting schedule to just 4-6 hours when you are home at night.
  • Maintenance - See above. One of the keys to staying in this hobby is making it as little work as possible. That way when you are feeling down, the tank can still thrive on auto pilot. Switch your tank to a hands off softie tank.
Don't worry about algae on the side panels, and get a magnet scraper for the front so you can do it once in a while without committing to getting water all over.

If fish are your true passion, you can set up your tank so that it only requires the bare minimum intervention, and it will still be a wonderfully healthy habitat for the fish.

Love this advice!

I would like to add this.

If you go out, go out on top! Meaning...get your tank in great shape with a good cleaning so that it's nice to look at again and then with a clear head you can make a better decision. I hate having grass sometimes until it's mowed! :p

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae isn’t really it, it’s just a loss of intrest for no reason. I used to not mind the challenges like you said it would be a very Intresting learning curve and I enjoyed over coming the problems but just don’t have that spark anymore
Hmm....not knowing what sort of system you kept, what happens if you up the ante and try something different in terms of types of corals, or livestock? Ie. if you focused on soft corals, or LPS - try SPS....or if you are doing that, then to to soft corals such as easy ones that don't take much on point water conditions.

I actually went this route and growing a Green Star Polyp tank only with one damsel fish and it's awesome! I don't have to worry about having proper Ca or Mg levels, Nitrates, etc...

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back