Thinking of leaving the hobby

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting from when I moved in my current apartment back in November of 2023 I have really lost intrest into my tank. I’m not sure why and can’t explain it but I just don’t really care for it. My tank is covered in green hair as well as a few aiptasia. Water change hasn’t been done in weeks and even just feeding the fish can be annoying too sometimes. I more feel bad for the fish as they should have a much better tank and someone who cares more like I used to.

Originally when I lost intrest I thought to myself, this has happened before and just give it some time and I will get back into it. Well that never happened and it’s been 10 months. I’ve tried to force myself by cleaning it up, doing water changes weekly but I just had no drive to do it.

I don’t want to make a mistake if I do leave the hobby because I won’t be able to restart for many years. I love my fish collection that I have created and I’m not sure what to do, stay or leave. I feel like if I stay I will continue on this way and keep making life worse for the fish by not giving them a clean home and if I leave I will regret it dearly.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you a member of any local reef clubs? Meeting others face to face and talking about whatever reef or life in general may put some motivation back in you. Shared interests of others adds to the fun. :)
Not really any reef clubs around me, it’s not that big in my city

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting from when I moved in my current apartment back in November of 2023 I have really lost intrest into my tank. I’m not sure why and can’t explain it but I just don’t really care for it. My tank is covered in green hair as well as a few aiptasia. Water change hasn’t been done in weeks and even just feeding the fish can be annoying too sometimes. I more feel bad for the fish as they should have a much better tank and someone who cares more like I used to.

Originally when I lost intrest I thought to myself, this has happened before and just give it some time and I will get back into it. Well that never happened and it’s been 10 months. I’ve tried to force myself by cleaning it up, doing water changes weekly but I just had no drive to do it.

I don’t want to make a mistake if I do leave the hobby because I won’t be able to restart for many years. I love my fish collection that I have created and I’m not sure what to do, stay or leave. I feel like if I stay I will continue on this way and keep making life worse for the fish by not giving them a clean home and if I leave I will regret it dearly.
Getting out is not a forever decision. I left in 2018, and sold everything. Got back in around 2022. The only initial rub was I did not keep any equipment, but that turns out ok because equipment got better in 2 years. Cost me a little more, but I would not change the path. Upon my return, the real differentiator in level of success was real ocean live rock. Check my tank thread. It has been a real journey.

My point is that this not a forever decision.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i totally understand feeling of disintrest, I went through a rough patch a few years ago and my tank fell to ruin. its normal to take a break for a while and if possible to keep the tank running while rehoming the fish for a little bit, and when you feel the reef bug bite again to start a new. this hobby is all about the love and care of the ocean and its inhabitents but its also a difficult hobby with a lot of care, patience and time. I regret leaving my tank to fall to aiptasia and nusience algea but I took a break to get better mentally and while my love for the hobby never left I didnt have the mental space to take care of it. its better to give yourself time to feel better then having to feel like its a chore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting out is not a forever decision. I left in 2018, and sold everything. Got back in around 2022. The only initial rub was I did not keep any equipment, but that turns out ok because equipment got better in 2 years. Cost me a little more, but I would not change the path. Upon my return, the real differentiator in level of success was real ocean live rock. Check my tank thread. It has been a real journey.

My point is that this not a forever decision.
For sure, just right now it’s summer and nice out and all you want to do it go outside. Come winter I might really miss my tank

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i totally understand feeling of disintrest, I went through a rough patch a few years ago and my tank fell to ruin. its normal to take a break for a while and if possible to keep the tank running while rehoming the fish for a little bit, and when you feel the reef bug bite again to start a new. this hobby is all about the love and care of the ocean and its inhabitents but its also a difficult hobby with a lot of care, patience and time. I regret leaving my tank to fall to aiptasia and nusience algea but I took a break to get better mentally and while my love for the hobby never left I didnt have the mental space to take care of it but when it comes back. its better to give yourself time to feel better then having to feel like its a chore.
Very well said, greatly appreciated. That’s the best way to put it, it’s been feeling like a chore for the last while not something I enjoy doing.

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my suggestion is try a different approach. Look for a fish or coral that you have always wanted and give it 2 months to see if you can get the tank to thrive.

I did this when i moved 15 years ago and I regretted it. I couldn’t control the valonia and it was becoming too much of a chore.

Don’t give up just yet. I go through this with guitar. I feel like quitting when i plateau and then just put it down for a few days. Then i learn a new song and it excites me. You don’t want to throw all that money away on corals, cycling etc that you won’t get your. money back on. Just think of one of your colonies suddenly taking off and growing at a rapid pace. That happens in this hobby.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well said, greatly appreciated. That’s the best way to put it, it’s been feeling like a chore for the last while not something I enjoy doing.
thank you! my tank now is doing much better and completely revived from the aiptasia and GHA (but there are still a few aiptasia >: ( i hate those things) its not impossible to bring things back from the brink once you feel better and its less of a chore and more fun again. Plus i still have my 2 original fish! if you wanna see what happened i have a build thread about my journey in and out of reefing :). I wish you the best of luck and lots of support!

JohnnyBlowfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in this hobby around 20yrs ago. During that time I’ve definitely taken some breaks. Some forced due to health reasons and other by choice, similar to what you’re feeling now.

My advice would be to do whatever makes you happy. If that’s tearing the tank down then so be it. Just don’t be too quick to sell all your gear. You may find that a short break and a tank reset was all you needed to get excited about the hobby again. Either way best of luck with whatever path you choose.

wjm6449

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. I lost the bug and it took 4 years before I cared about starting again.
I mean. Here’s the thing. I had a 16 gallon biocube in my sons room. I enjoyed it a lot but then life happened. A baby, aptasia. Water changes were a *****. I didn’t see progress. I saw… backsliding.

I knew I liked the hobby. I upgraded to a 125. It’s gotten my attention again. I enjoy doing the feedings and even water changes (I have it automatically pump to the sewer no lifting!) sometimes…. Having to do a chore is well… a chore. See if there’s a better way to automate your work if you can.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my suggestion is try a different approach. Look for a fish or coral that you have always wanted and give it 2 months to see if you can get the tank to thrive.

I did this when i moved 15 years ago and I regretted it. I couldn’t control the valonia and it was becoming too much of a chore.

Don’t give up just yet. I go through this with guitar. I feel like quitting when i plateau and then just put it down for a few days. Then i learn a new song and it excites me. You don’t want to throw all that money away on corals, cycling etc that you won’t get your. money back on. Just think of one of your colonies suddenly taking off and growing at a rapid pace. That happens in this hobby.
That’s another thing I forgot to mention, all my coral died off a few months ago for unknown reasons. I’m talking rocks had loads of euphyllia and all different kinds, they were my favourite.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! my tank now is doing much better and completely revived from the aiptasia and GHA (but there are still a few aiptasia >: ( i hate those things) its not impossible to bring things back from the brink once you feel better and its less of a chore and more fun again. Plus i still have my 2 original fish! if you wanna see what happened i have a build thread about my journey in and out of reefing :). I wish you the best of luck and lots of support!
Thank you so much, I will check out your build thread for sure!

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s another thing I forgot to mention, all my coral died off a few months ago for unknown reasons. I’m talking rocks had loads of euphyllia and all different kinds, they were my favourite.
my corals had died off also when i got over run by cyano, if you can i would remove the rocks and wash them to try and kill off the aiptasia and if youre able to rehome the fish and just have the system and rocks, to lower salinity till the aiptasia starts to die off completely. that helped me clear MOST of them out of my system. but take my advice for this with a grain of salt cause i have a much smaller system then you (26 g) :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Last edited:

*unique*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every hobby is everyone’s hobby , you need to know what is right for you, you shouldn’t be drained and dread your hobby , you should wake up everyday with excitement and fulfillment from your hobby.

If your hobby gets to the point where it’s becoming a chore that you dread doing then find another hobby. We are all human do what feels right for you nothing is wrong with taking a break and leaving maybe in a few years you will be back, or you will find another hobby you enjoy . Don’t take life too seriously buddy :) it’s life…

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my corals had died off also when i got over run by cyano, if you can i would remove the rocks and wash them to try and kill off the aiptasia and if youre able to rehome the fish and just have the system and rocks, to lower salinity till the aiptasia starts to die off completely. that helped me clear MOST of them out of my system. but take my advice for this with a grain of salt cause i have a much smaller system then you (26 g) :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Good advice either way! Appreciate it lots

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back