Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are running T5's I would think LUX would help with knowing when the bulbs go bad?

The PAR will also drop and the spectral range which the seneye has a sensor for will shift as well which I'll be looking fur for the PUR to change as well.

Long term with the LED's I'll be watching for PUR shifts as well as the phosphors in the LEDs burn out before the LED does.

Avast

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we should be as it measures light intensity. so to have 2 light meters with inconsistent readings is kinda concerning.

Maybe the par meter is good but the lux meter is just terrible. A this point Id like to use my color meter against theirs as well.

I'm not sure it's concerning if the LUX is calculated. The sensor in the seneye is supposed to be spectral and par specific and the rest is calculated on that. I'm also still don't see why "brightness" is important if PAR is known with in reason. nm peaks are more interesting to me.

Avast

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt pur just an estimate based on type of organism? thus a preselect programming set point?

To the Seneye the PUR is defined by the Chlorophyll A and B and calculated based on the PAR and the Spectral ranges detected and how much of that spectral range detected is inside those areas.

710px-Chlorophyll_ab_spectra-en.svg.png

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure it's concerning if the LUX is calculated. The sensor in the seneye is supposed to be spectral and par specific and the rest is calculated on that. I'm also still don't see why "brightness" is important if PAR is known with in reason. nm peaks are more interesting to me.
lux shouldn't be calculated its a set and testable amount.
all intensities are measurable in each nm peak, par is actually a calculation of color and intensity levels.
one thing to consider is if you do par/lux you can see the efficiency or best spectrum of the light. Ie t5 w a 40 conversion and led with 60.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the Seneye the PUR is defined by the Chlorophyll A and B and calculated based on the PAR and the Spectral ranges detected and how much of that spectral range detected is inside those areas.

710px-Chlorophyll_ab_spectra-en.svg.png
Yes, so an engineer has built in a preference to marine organisms and using the spectral data , intensity and par calculates the Pur. An estimate.

Nutramar Foods

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, so an engineer has built in a preference to marine organisms and using the spectral data , intensity and par calculates the Pur. An estimate.

Yes that is correct. So, I'm interested to see if that PUR changes as the T5 bulbs shift spectrum. The PUR should change and I'll be curious if it shifts before the PAR drops as the bulb ages past 12 months or sooner.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is correct. So, I'm interested to see if that PUR changes as the T5 bulbs shift spectrum. The PUR should change and I'll be curious if it shifts before the PAR drops as the bulb ages past 12 months.
I basic light study it would be interesting to see if there is intensity drop as well. As there should be. The three should be linear.
But with one of those components an algorithm based estimate and one a proven inconsistency, Im not sure how good that data is. Esp with the spectral data testing results being as yet untested.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking they should decline at the same time for the T5 bulbs. For the LEDs I'm thinking the PAR may actually go up as the PUR goes down over a long period of time as they age. I don't know if I have the sensitivity to see that though but hoping so.

As the base LED is still going strong and producing the same amount of intensity but the phosphors burn out giving the coloration chosen for it I would assume the light spectrum will shift towards the base pumps true color which is some kind of white. This will drop the PUR and possibly increase the PAR as that is what I saw when testing just the white channel on my LEDs vs just the royal blue channel at the same intensity which uses phosphors to achieve that color.

Corals.com

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the LEDs I'm thinking the PAR may actually go up as the PUR goes down over a long period of time as they age.
This will drop the PUR and possibly increase the PAR
Not sure. It would be tough to gauge as the led output intensity should decrease, the colored dye should fade. what fails first would be the question.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PUR on the seneye has me scratching my head. When I had my light intensity at 30% the PUR was 83% vs. Light at 100% and PUR at 80%.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. It would be tough to gauge as the led output intensity should decrease, the colored dye should fade. what fails first would be the question.

I took away from reading some of @Luc Vogels posts was that with a good LED, with a good fixture, kept cool the base LED would outlast the phosphors. I could be wrong and either way I do not know but curious.

CLICK TO VIEW

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PUR on the seneye has me scratching my head. When I had my light intensity at 30% the PUR was 83% vs. Light at 100% and PUR at 80%.
I think its because its not linear. Par and lux mosty is. pur is color based. low light with good spectrum will have the same pur no matter the intensity.

Top Shelf Aquatics

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took away from reading some of @Luc Vogels posts was that with a good LED, with a good fixture, kept cool the base LED would outlast the phosphors. I could be wrong and either way I do not know but curious.
I agree with that. Yes.

BRS

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back