Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the Hanna checker, purchased it 4 months ago ... it came with 25 test. I have 23 test left. Big pain in the butt of a test
The LR one i assume is what you have in that case? - The HR nitrate is the simplest test to do out of all including salifert. add 1 pouch of powder - wait 7 minutes.

I think people are still getting the LR and HR mixed up or arent aware there is two.

AquaCave Logo Banner

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I was just looking for a tester, one that was better than the Hanna ULR Nitrate tester and found this. Does anyone have any experience with these or anything similar?
View attachment 2220015

Compact Nitrate Ion Meter LAQUA Twin - NO3-11​

Product code: NO3-11

Compact Nitrate Ion Meter LAQUA Twin, compact meter for a quick measurement of nitrate ion using ion selective membrane.
Honestly, salifert is all you need. Cheap and accurate and only 3 mins

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both Salifert and the Hanna checker.

I personally prefer variable data and love the Hanna checker as a result. For the layman, the Hanna is probably too much procedurally to do on a consistent basis (or even once for that matter), but it's right up my alley.

For speed, ease, and consistent results I'd go with Salifert. I'm just not a fan of trying to discern varying levels of pink, but thats just my preference
LOL, just pick the darker pink.

Really, 10 or 20 ppm is the same. You either want to bring it down or you're happy with it.

Regards
Graham.

Corals.com

IKD

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As John said I start it first then do ulr phosphate and they are done within a min of each other. And having the digital read out of the number is way better then my eyes having to compare and choose a number
I do this exact same thing. Start the Hanna HR, then the Phosphate.

flyingscampi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got it worked out so I test Hanna Nitrate HR, then Phosphate ULR, then KH, and the results all come in about the same time :)

I love the Hanna HR and have so far had consistent results. Other Nitrate test kits I've tried are Tropic Marin which was OK, and the Salifert which I didn't like as I struggled with colour identification. I always test in the evening and colour charts can be a pain with artifical lighting and the Mk1 eyeball. I use the Salifert Ca & Mg (and sometimes KH) because none of them use colour charts.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the Hanna checker, purchased it 4 months ago ... it came with 25 test. I have 23 test left. Big pain in the butt of a test
Please take a picture of your tester and post it here so we can prove that you’re not using the high resolution you’re using the low resolution for everyone else here

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, just pick the darker pink.

Really, 10 or 20 ppm is the same. You either want to bring it down or you're happy with it.

Regards
This is the exact reason to get a Hanna you’re over there trying to decide if it’s 10 or 20 and mine specifically says 14 and I’m done

Avast

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the exact reason to get a Hanna you’re over there trying to decide if it’s 10 or 20 and mine specifically says 14 and I’m done
If it says 14 according to the specs that means it is somewhere between 11 and 17, which is why I said 10 or 20 is the same thing..

And thats assuming you do the test exactly as they say And the instrument and reagent is new.

it's irrelevant, and unless you're color blind you get the same accuracy from a cheap salifert test kit.

I own the Alk, Calcium, phosphate and copper checkers, and I've found it much cheaper to use a cheap test kit, which is faster and just as accurate.

Regards
Graham

chiefifd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that everyone does not get the accuracy that you claim. While you might get accurate color renditions that are relatively accurate for our purposes. There are several factors that come into play, lighting, and background play a big part. Individual biological makeup, color perception is less about seeing what is actually out there and more about how our brain interprets colors to create something meaningful. The perception of color mainly occurs inside our heads and so is subjective and prone to personal experience.
Have you ever been to the Dentist for a filling? While the Dentist sees one shade of white to use for your filling. His assistant, usually a female has a completely different opinion on what shade of white is a match.
Just my opinion, I'd rather have a piece of equipment that is relatively stable for our purposes. Taking some of the variables out of the equation.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that everyone does not get the accuracy that you claim. While you might get accurate color renditions that are relatively accurate for our purposes. There are several factors that come into play, lighting, and background play a big part. Individual biological makeup, color perception is less about seeing what is actually out there and more about how our brain interprets colors to create something meaningful. The perception of color mainly occurs inside our heads and so is subjective and prone to personal experience.
Have you ever been to the Dentist for a filling? While the Dentist sees one shade of white to use for your filling. His assistant, usually a female has a completely different opinion on what shade of white is a match.
Just my opinion, I'd rather have a piece of equipment that is relatively stable for our purposes. Taking some of the variables out of the equation.
Fair enough, I just think accuracy for Nitrate is not that important :)

For copper, I am waiting on an LR to replace my HR, as now cupramine has been banned in Australia, I need that level of accuracy for the only copper product left, which is copper suphate/Citric Acid and the safe dose is so low like 200 ppb

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowest i found the laqua for was $345, that is pretty steep. i would have to say hanna nitrate for ease otherwise
I am not sure if that’s even worth the money as nitrate level IMO you only need to know the approx range. 10 or 20ppm won’t make a huge different so why spending almost $300 more for something unnecessary

chiefifd

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering....
What's $300 dollars??? The Hanna HR 782 Nitrate Checker is $50 dollars, and yes 25 tests will run you $15 dollars.
I think you may underestimate just how far off you (or others) may actually be.

Top Shelf Aquatics

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering....
What's $300 dollars??? The Hanna HR 782 Nitrate Checker is $50 dollars, and yes 25 tests will run you $15 dollars.
I think you may underestimate just how far off you (or others) may actually be.
Where I live the tester is over $100 and 25 tests set you back $32

I can buy a salifert test kit for $20. It's a no brainer.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back