+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has a tank crash, he could have some back. A couple of kilos :D
Wasn't Lasse looking to add a fish that ate SPS? Seems like he could use a food source if he goes that route!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't Lasse looking to add a fish that ate SPS? Seems like he could use a food source if he goes that route!
Lasse needs a fish that eat GSP.. ;)

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall reading his build thread and when I saw he added GSP, my first thought was ‘uh oh’
But he really like them. They get the best spots in the tank while SPS corals are placed in the corners! :p
But it's great to see other types of reef tanks, not only SPS tanks. Even if I try to talk him into throwing out the GSP almost every time we talk.. :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But he really like them. They get the best spots in the tank while SPS corals are placed in the corners! :p
But it's great to see other types of reef tanks, not only SPS tanks. Even if I try to talk him into throwing out the GSP almost every time we talk.. :D
I love the GSP also. Mine is on an island where I closely monitor it. I don't want it spreading but I don't want to get rid of it, either! I have found that it isn't as colorful now that I kicked up my flow so that rock may get pulled soon.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the GSP also. Mine is on an island where I closely monitor it. I don't want it spreading but I don't want to get rid of it, either! I have found that it isn't as colorful now that I kicked up my flow so that rock may get pulled soon.

My list of "not in my SPS tank"-corals is getting longer all the time.. :rolleyes: Fortunately I run a couple of tanks and all of them doesn't have to be dominated by SPS corals :) And I really like both GSP and Xenia for example, just not among the Acropora colonies. BTA on the other hand, I'm having a hard time appreciating at the moment.. But a BTA-only tank on the other hand can be beautiful.
BTW, sometime I would love to set up a smaller reef tank with just one massive colony. Or two. Really highlighting one large Acropora millepora for example. That would be cool IMO.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My list of "not in my SPS tank"-corals is getting longer all the time.. :rolleyes: Fortunately I run a couple of tanks and all of them doesn't have to be dominated by SPS corals :) And I really like both GSP and Xenia for example, just not among the Acropora colonies. BTA on the other hand, I'm having a hard time appreciating at the moment.. But a BTA-only tank on the other hand can be beautiful.
BTW, sometime I would love to set up a smaller reef tank with just one massive colony. Or two. Really highlighting one large Acropora millepora for example. That would be cool IMO.
I've thought the same think. I think a 40g cube with a massive staghorn would make an impressive display.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought the same think. I think a 40g cube with a massive staghorn would make an impressive display.
Yes! And a bunch of green chromis! That would be like one of the many inspirational dive pictures I've found online. One small rock on a vast sand bottom, a large staghorn colony growing on the rock and chromis all around the coral. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! And a bunch of green chromis! That would be like one of the many inspirational dive pictures I've found online. One small rock on a vast sand bottom, a large staghorn colony growing on the rock and chromis all around the coral. :)
I might go with a variety of different damsels to add more color, but yup, that is what I would envision.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to add Green Chromis damsels. Just waiting alittle bit.

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You mean from this?

26000-b.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short update on the building process.
Today we've been working together with our consultant on where all the pipes will go, the ones that goes inside the concrete floor. It looks like a spider web on the drawings:D
Not the most aquaristic super fun work, but now we're getting closer a final version. These pipes won't be changeable, so we have to get it right(but we probably won't..).
We are still working after our original idea, to connect tanks in different areas of the Aquarium building to three large systems. We will also have RO water and new ASW on tap in at least five different spots.
There will be some tanks not connected to the large systems , like seahorses(didn't go well the last time we tried).

Today we also started to talk to a consultant who will help us in the process of buying the large acrylic windows and ordering the sealing of the concrete tanks. Seems like there's a lot of things that can go wrong building large tanks.. :eek:

If everything goes according to plan they will start digging the hole for the new Aquarium after the summer.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean from this?

Sincerely Lasse
Short update on the building process.
Today we've been working together with our consultant on where all the pipes will go, the ones that goes inside the concrete floor. It looks like a spider web on the drawings:D
Not the most aquaristic super fun work, but now we're getting closer a final version. These pipes won't be changeable, so we have to get it right(but we probably won't..).
We are still working after our original idea, to connect tanks in different areas of the Aquarium building to three large systems. We will also have RO water and new ASW on tap in at least five different spots.
There will be some tanks not connected to the large systems , like seahorses(didn't go well the last time we tried).

Today we also started to talk to a consultant who will help us in the process of buying the large acrylic windows and ordering the sealing of the concrete tanks. Seems like there's a lot of things that can go wrong building large tanks.. :eek:

If everything goes according to plan they will start digging the hole for the new Aquarium after the summer.
If in budget add one or more pipes (ones in cement)if not to large in dia.,as reserve for future. Never know

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If in budget add one or more pipes (ones in cement)if not to large in dia.,as reserve for future. Never know
Yes, that's our plan. One reserve. :)

AS

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have learned from your uncle - ask David what´s my mantra is :) :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst case scenario, if a pipe breaks or get clogged, we can also put up a new return pipe in the ceiling and use the return pipe in the floor/concrete as an overflow line back to the sump.
But we also want an extra pipe in the floor as a spare.
Since we "inherited" the old Aquarium from the former staff 11 years ago we've pretty much changed everything and we have become so used to think "how can we change this if it doesn't work" every time we do something new. So we are probably a bit of a pain for the consultants/engineers when we keep a lot of stuff open, do decide later. We also want backups for most things(or two instead of one skimmer for example) and to oversize all pipes :)
One thing we had to compromise was the pipes in the floors. We wanted a "grave", a tunnel for the pipes which we could open and where we could get access to the pipes everywhere. That didn't work out(too expensive, they would have needed another 0,5m deep hole for the building then). The pipes had to be in the concrete.
At least most pipes are in straight lines, so cleaning them (with something that sounds like "pig", don't remember the word now), will be possible.

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least most pipes are in straight lines, so cleaning them (with something that sounds like "pig", don't remember the word now), will be possible.

Iller in Swedish :) -> ferret in English :)

Sincerely Lasse

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iller in Swedish :) -> ferret in English :)

Sincerely Lasse
Gris they call it in Denmark. Means pig :) Also called pig in English, for pigging pipes. My memory wasn't that bad ;)

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gris they call it in Denmark. Means pig :) Also called pig in English, for pigging pipes. My memory wasn't that bad ;)
You are old fashion - but I am the modern guy using preasured water to do the job - then it is a "iller" - running around in the pipes like a ferret :)

Sincerly Lasse

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back