Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the color transition on that piece! The size of these colonies is mind blowing.
We use doping.
IMG_7110.JPG

Some fish gets very excited
IMG_7101.JPG

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! Do the fish share with you?
I prefer red wine and the lumpsucker prefers shrimps :)
The ethanol is used as bacteria food, DNA samples and cleaning stuff in the lab.

The lumpsucker is our most domesticated fish, even if we didn't plan on it. We cough it when collecting mysis shrimps two years ago when the fish was about 1cm. Now it's the size of a hamster and acts like a dog, begging for food all the time. :)
Popular when we have guests behind the scenes. But not great if you want to display a natural habitat and animal behaviour:p

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice this, I have stored, real SW. I checked alkilinity was 6 kh. From just siting now 1 month. Was on day one stored at 8kh. SW in clean empty barrel. Water is not run thru uv, filter at 50micronwhen bought? Nothing else. Anyone any input?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate rising would cause a drop as would precipitation. Not sure how likely either of those things are in your situation.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate rising would cause a drop as would precipitation. Not sure how likely either of those things are in your situation.
Im thinking bacteria in water?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behind the scenes. And this is a good day.. :D
IMG_7117.JPG

Right side: cleaning station, buckets, pumps and hoses, 1m3 RO water, 1m3 saltwater.

Left side: sumps for the cold water system(12 degrees C)(above the sumps, grow out tanks and shrimp holding tanks). Sulphur- and algae filters.

Straight ahead: phytoplankton cultures(the reflector sheet is rolled up while we work with the cultures)

Beneath the floor: 10m3 holding tanks, nowadays uses as storage for smaller aquariums not in use. Can be used for mixing larger volumes of new saltwater.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behind the scenes. And this is a good day.. :D
View attachment 952661
Right side: cleaning station, buckets, pumps and hoses, 1m3 RO water, 1m3 saltwater.

Left side: sumps for the cold water system(12 degrees C)(above the sumps, grow out tanks and shrimp holding tanks). Sulphur- and algae filters.

Straight ahead: phytoplankton cultures(the reflector sheet is rolled up while we work with the cultures)

Beneath the floor: 10m3 holding tanks, nowadays uses as storage for smaller aquariums not in use. Can be used for mixing larger volumes of new saltwater.
Reminds me of my "Backwoods Lab"
By the way, look what I got. 2 pieces from Vietnam. Still waiting on 22 NPS softies.

Screenshot_2019-01-21-12-22-40-1.png

Screenshot_2019-01-21-12-22-51-1.png

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of my "Backwoods Lab"
By the way, look what I got. 2 pieces from Vietnam. Still waiting on 22 NPS softies.

View attachment 952685

View attachment 952687
Nice! Do you have room for that many?!
I follow your thread and some other NPS threads trying to pick up all the info I can get. I don't know when our next try with Dendronephthya or Scleronephthya will be, but I want to have another go. Just need to figure out a new feeding regime to test and get a new tank for the test(the last one is full of Acroporas now. At least they liked the food we tried for the NPS..).
So in the meantime I let you do the hard work ;)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Do you have room for that many?!
I follow your thread and some other NPS threads trying to pick up all the info I can get. I don't know when our next try with Dendronephthya or Scleronephthya will be, but I want to have another go. Just need to figure out a new feeding regime to test and get a new tank for the test(the last one is full of Acroporas now. At least they liked the food we tried for the NPS..).
So in the meantime I let you do the hard work ;)
I can fit nicely 36 small corals . If they come small. Some if large. Have friend take care of large ones.

Avast

biophilia

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More aquarist job today, more coral colonies moved from the 1500L room devider reef!
View attachment 948874 View attachment 948875 View attachment 948876 View attachment 948877

No water changes since 2014 in this tank. It has worked out well! :)

Wow - those are beautiful! Do you find detaching and moving colonies that size is riskier than moving smaller corals? It seems like it would be hard to get the colony positioned well in a new tank after years of growing at a certain angle relative to the light/flow/etc in the old tank.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - those are beautiful! Do you find detaching and moving colonies that size is riskier than moving smaller corals? It seems like it would be hard to get the colony positioned well in a new tank after years of growing at a certain angle relative to the light/flow/etc in the old tank.

Thanks!

A year ago I would have said that moving large colonies were a bigger risk compared to moving frags or first-sized colonies. We have lost a couple after moving them. But the last year we've move some more and now it has gone well. So I can really say. I know some of the now dead colonies had flatworms and were stressed before we started moving them. And some we moved from high nutrients tanks to low nutrient. So those thing had an inpact of course. The colonies we've moved this week and last were healthy and moved from one low nutrient system to another, so I'm not so worried about them.

For sure it's hard to offer them the same light conditions. You want them to continue to grow the same way, but often they start growing in another way in the new tank. Right now I just want them to survive and to keep on growing, to have some large colonies if we will do any sexual reprocution experiments in the near future(most Acropora species needs to be over 20 or 30 cm in size to start reproduce).
But when starting the new reef tank in the new Aquarium I would prefer many 10cm colonies instead of a couple 40+ cm. Just feels safer.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, a lot of post on the same subject this week.. But I'm fascinated by the growth of these Acropora efflorescence! I know all of them comes from the same frag we got from a hobby aquarist a couple of years ago. If he has a tank crash, he could have some back. A couple of kilos :D
IMG_7124.JPG

A small rock with a SPS mix on it.

Here's the base of the A. efflorescence.
IMG_7129.JPG

The aquarium still looks quite full. So this is just to get some better circulation and light for the rest of the corals in the tank.

Now I'm covered in coral mucus again. And my phone. Great..

Nutramar Foods

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, a lot of post on the same subject this week.. But I'm fascinated by the growth of these Acropora efflorescence! I know all of them comes from the same frag we got from a hobby aquarist a couple of years ago. If he has a tank crash, he could have some back. A couple of kilos :D
View attachment 953362
A small rock with a SPS mix on it.

Here's the base of the A. efflorescence.
View attachment 953363

The aquarium still looks quite full. So this is just to get some better circulation and light for the rest of the corals in the tank.

Now I'm covered in coral mucus again. And my phone. Great..
that's mind-boggling, the amount of growth. I always scratch my head when I see Frags where the acro's spread out over the frag plug they look flat the part of the acro that's growing but I noticed in the ocean when acro's are fraged they don't do the same thing, here's an example

20190122_060337.png

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's mind-boggling, the amount of growth. I always scratch my head when I see Frags where the acro's spread out over the frag plug they look flat the part of the acro that's growing but I noticed in the ocean when acro's are fraged they don't do the same thing, here's an example

View attachment 953374
Yes, the ones from the ocean often looks like branches or parts of a plate when they're being sold. Probably newly cut. If that was what you meant.
About the spread/growth over a frag plug or a substrate, that depends on what species. Many of the Acropora species called staghorn doesn't do that much at all what I've seen.
Fun thing about Acropora colonies is that they need to get to a certain size before you see their actual "adult shape".

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back