Stocking an Aquarium with Fish Caught in the Wild, What's the Problem?

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of that. And activism
Respect you for disclosing.

Personally, I wouldn’t take climate change opinions from a Shell employee, but I will leave it up to other to come to their own conclusions.

Wish we had some more insight from confirmed non-industry Hawaiians but would be hard to find that on a site so focused like this!

Hawaii hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respect you for disclosing.

Personally, I wouldn’t take climate change opinions from a Shell employee, but I will leave it up to other to come to their own conclusions.

Wish we had some more insight from confirmed non-industry Hawaiians but would be hard to find that on a site so focused like this!
Ive never hid who I am. It’s been disclosed since day 1.
I don’t work for some corporation or a spokesman for Big Hawaiian Fish. We aren’t Shell Oil, lol. I’m a Hawaiian fisherman that’s worked at various levels in the trade and it all started in the hobby since I was knee high in diapers. You often like to quibble with me about the state of the reefs here or the sustainability of the fishery. My opinions are based on two things, the science which is very clear and impartial, and my opinion based on my lived experience. I’ll let the science speak for itself -you can accept it,or not. But as far as other Hawaiians that are not AQ associated…what do you think they’re gonna be able to tell you about the reefs or the fish that differs from what I’ve stated?Most people that live here have very limited knowledge about what actually goes on out there in the water. Unless you’re a waterman. Of the waterman here fishers,divers,spear fisherman, surfers etc AQ fishers are at the top for really understanding our marine resources for a number of reasons. That makes us experts at this stuff not biased morons. This is why the fishery scientists work with us like they do and they surely dont dismiss us. They need us. And we need them. Your entire premise tho that some non industry Hawaiians are going to show up here and know the real scoop on the reef and the big bad industry and whether it’s sustainable is just laughable. How would they really know that? The guys that know the reefs are the guys that put the time in underwater. Simple as. There is no substitute. The OP here is about stocking tank with wild fish. I’m a lifelong hobbyist that’s kept piles of fish in aquaria, It’s grown into a profession, I do aquaculture also, I’m a fisher, I’ve done it all. Not to boast but you won’t find another guy like me my friend. Moving forward we can communicate without tension. I’d appreciate that

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never hid who I am. It’s been disclosed since day 1.
I don’t work for some corporation or a spokesman for Big Hawaiian Fish. We aren’t Shell Oil, lol. I’m a Hawaiian fisherman that’s worked at various levels in the trade and it all started in the hobby since I was knee high in diapers. You often like to quibble with me about the state of the reefs here or the sustainability of the fishery. My opinions are based on two things, the science which is very clear and impartial, and my opinion based on my lived experience. I’ll let the science speak for itself -you can accept it,or not. But as far as other Hawaiians that are not AQ associated…what do you think they’re gonna be able to tell you about the reefs or the fish that differs from what I’ve stated?Most people that live here have very limited knowledge about what actually goes on out there in the water. Unless you’re a waterman. Of the waterman here fishers,divers,spear fisherman, surfers etc AQ fishers are at the top for really understanding our marine resources for a number of reasons. That makes us experts at this stuff not biased morons. This is why the fishery scientists work with us like they do and they surely dont dismiss us. They need us. And we need them. Your entire premise tho that some non industry Hawaiians are going to show up here and know the real scoop on the reef and the big bad industry and whether it’s sustainable is just laughable. How would they really know that? The guys that know the reefs are the guys that put the time in underwater. Simple as. There is no substitute. The OP here is about stocking tank with wild fish. I’m a lifelong hobbyist that’s kept piles of fish in aquaria, It’s grown into a profession, I do aquaculture also, I’m a fisher, I’ve done it all. Not to boast but you won’t find another guy like me my friend. Moving forward we can communicate without tension. I’d appreciate that
If we want to communicate without tension, I think that needs to begin with you no longer misrepresenting what I’ve said.

My two main points are:

1. It’s dubious to take the opinion of someone who benefits financially on this matter. Similar to how cops shouldn’t investigate themselves - I am uncomfortable with only people who profit from collection weighing in.

2. I don’t believe we need to be capturing wild caught fox for our aquariums, especially if there is local opposition.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back