Starting to cycle?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok ok. I'll just sit back and watch my hitchhiker snails move about for a few weeks lol. I just get so excited for my new hobby that I just wanna touch it lol
If you can't resist the urge to mess with things, grab a cheap microscope and periodically look at all the stuff in a drop of water ;)

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as far as the test kits themselves, API and Red Sea are popular because they are inexpensive, but many here don't trust them.

I like some of the Hana Checkers for some tests, I got most of mine used like new over time.

Otherwise, the Salifert test kits are very popular. They work like a titration, and are much easier to read than the type where you have to match the color to the chart:

Salifert Ammonia Test Kit on Chew.com

Salifert Nitrate Test Kit on Chew.com

And I think a lot of people like the Nyos test kit for nitrate. It's a color changing one, but it's much easier to read than most:

Nyos Nitrate Test Kit at Bulk Reef Supply.com

I'm sure others can offer further recommendations.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as far as the test kits themselves, API and Red Sea are popular because they are inexpensive, but many here don't trust them.

I like some of the Hana Checkers for some tests, I got most of mine used like new over time.

Otherwise, the Salifert test kits are very popular. They work like a titration, and are much easier to read than the type where you have to match the color to the chart:

Salifert Ammonia Test Kit on Chew.com

Salifert Nitrate Test Kit on Chew.com

And I think a lot of people like the Nyos test kit for nitrate. It's a color changing one, but it's much easier to read than most:

Nyos Nitrate Test Kit at Bulk Reef Supply.com

I'm sure others can offer further recommendations.
These are all great options, but at this point in the process, a salifert nitrate test is really all that's needed... API is fine for ammonia and once the Salifert reagents are used up, if the OP wants a fancier nitrate test, he can invest in one. (And no, I have no stock in Salifert, just trying to simplify ;) )

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't resist the urge to mess with things, grab a cheap microscope and periodically look at all the stuff in a drop of water ;)
I agree! I'm in the market for one myself. I found this recent thread helpful.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microscope-recommendation.1067333/

It looks like a used Nikon Alphaphot is the best value for a serious scope, but for a budget scope it looks like the AmScope is popular. At least one R2R member in that thread mentioned a scope on Amazon by Swift. I'm now looking at a Swift, I think. I did a lot of microscopy in college, and I know you get what you pay for with a scope, and you want quality optics. But for home use on my aquarium I think these Swift scopes hit a sweet spot of features and price point. They seem to get good reviews too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DHQJD9B/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A30TU0C34MP3SD&psc=1

And I'm also considering a low power, stereo microscope for ID'ing more macro critters. What fun!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all great options, but at this point in the process, a salifert nitrate test is really all that's needed... API is fine for ammonia and once the Salifert reagents are used up, if the OP wants a fancier nitrate test, he can invest in one. (And no, I have no stock in Salifert, just trying to simplify ;) )
I just wanted to give the OP some reliable test options that were much cheaper than the Checkers ;-)

I would buy different tests but I'm not sure which I should get. I can't fathom paying 500$ for all the Hanna tests I would need...

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back