OP
90addict

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think is I'd probably just let it go a little longer after your most recent water change. At this point I think time and patience are your friends. I don't think you fatally harmed your live rock, it just may need some time to catch up between the move to your tank and the ammonia you've added. The good bacteria will persist and continue to grow and do their job.

I wouldn't add extra ammonia at this point. Wait until it goes to zero, if at all.

Keep in mind if you're still using the API brand test kit, those may not be the most accurate tests in the world, so take the results with a grain of salt.

Are you testing for and are you seeing any nitrates yet? When you see nitrates start to accumulate and rise, that's a sure sign the bacteria are processing the ammonia to nitrite, and then to nitrate, which is what you want to

What I think is I'd probably just let it go a little longer after your most recent water change. At this point I think time and patience are your friends. I don't think you fatally harmed your live rock, it just may need some time to catch up between the move to your tank and the ammonia you've added. The good bacteria will persist and continue to grow and do their job.

I wouldn't add extra ammonia at this point. Wait until it goes to zero, if at all.

Keep in mind if you're still using the API brand test kit, those may not be the most accurate tests in the world, so take the results with a grain of salt.

Are you testing for and are you seeing any nitrates yet? When you see nitrates start to accumulate and rise, that's a sure sign the bacteria are processing the ammonia to nitrite, and then to nitrate, which is what you want to see.
I've been mostly only testing the ammonia cause I was so worried about it and it wasn't moving. Pic below is testing after you asked. So in person reading, ph7.8, ammonia between .5-1.0, nitrite-0, nitrate- 0-5ppm. I would buy different tests but I'm not sure which I should get. I can't fathom paying 500$ for all the Hanna tests I would need... Should I add bacteria? I have some API quick start and have microbacter7 coming today
IMG_3123.jpeg

OP
OP
90addict

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also understand ammonia more and your fears will lessen. In a tank new like yours id put the ammonia down and let nature do its thing and enjoy the ride. your 1ppm ammonia will benefit something as it gets converted into nitrates.

check out this thread, dont get lost in it as it is more geared towards matured biomes but it gives you alot of insight into how it all works and alot of posters have linked great articles to read. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ammonia-is-our-friend-2-article-outline.1069937/page-2
I'll check it out! Do you think I need to add more bacteria? Does the bacteria get effected/die with too much ammonia

305 Steve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mostly only testing the ammonia cause I was so worried about it and it wasn't moving. Pic below is testing after you asked. So in person reading, ph7.8, ammonia between .5-1.0, nitrite-0, nitrate- 0-5ppm. I would buy different tests but I'm not sure which I should get. I can't fathom paying 500$ for all the Hanna tests I would need... Should I add bacteria? I have some API quick start and have microbacter7 coming today
IMG_3123.jpeg
your ph is low enough to keep the ammonia in a non toxic level. i would not worry about it and continue to let it run its course and convert completely. No you do not need to add micro bacter but if you would like to it will not hurt.

OP
OP
90addict

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and no more water changes until you see the nitrate high and the ammonia 0 for a few consecutive days
10-4 I'll keep checking it and keep an eye on it. Is there a chance that ammonia will go away and I won't see nitrate spike? If so, what then lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4 I'll keep checking it and keep an eye on it. Is there a chance that ammonia will go away and I won't see nitrate spike? If so, what then lol
What you want to see is nitrate.
If you're in a hurry, add a bottle of Fritz Turbo Start and test in 2 days. When ammo is zero and nitrates are above 10 (to eliminate the margin of error for API), you're good to add a fish or 2.

Last edited:

305 Steve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no there is no chance, you should go back and read through the article i posted the other day about the nitrogen cycle and then you will understand fully why thats not the way it is going to work. Also if you want my honest real advice man, Stop testing the water for a few weeks and just watch the show. nothing you will be able to do will change what is going to happen over the next few months - year of this tank and the more you test and chase numbers the more you are going to stress and make poor decisions trying to interfere with nature. Let it run its course and i promise you in a years time you will have a happy healthy maturing tank that will thank you for not using additives and treating problems that are just a normal part of the process. check your nitrates next month or ina a few weeks and if you see them high and no ammonia present then do a large water change and start adding your fish!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a chance that ammonia will go away and I won't see nitrate spike? If so, what then lol
If this happens (with or without adding more bacteria), your nitrate test is wrong. API's (which is not as PRECISE as others but is ACCURATE when used correctly), nitrate test reagents need to be mixed very well in their bottles before each use and the test tube needs to be shaken for the full minute to get an accurate result. Best bet, buy a better nitrate test kit (I recommend Salifert).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop testing the water for a few weeks and just watch the show. nothing you will be able to do will change what is going to happen over the next few months - year of this tank and the more you test and chase numbers the more you are going to stress and make poor decisions trying to interfere with nature.
^^^THIS

OP
OP
90addict

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no there is no chance, you should go back and read through the article i posted the other day about the nitrogen cycle and then you will understand fully why thats not the way it is going to work. Also if you want my honest real advice man, Stop testing the water for a few weeks and just watch the show. nothing you will be able to do will change what is going to happen over the next few months - year of this tank and the more you test and chase numbers the more you are going to stress and make poor decisions trying to interfere with nature. Let it run its course and i promise you in a years time you will have a happy healthy maturing tank that will thank you for not using additives and treating problems that are just a normal part of the process. check your nitrates next month or ina a few weeks and if you see them high and no ammonia present then do a large water change and start adding your fish!
I agree that I need to learn patience lol... The reason I asked about the ammonia leaving without nitrate spike was because after going from 4-5ppm ammonia to 2ppm, I still never saw a spike in nitrite or nitrate. I did read thru every article anyone has ever sent me. I'm trying to retain as much as I can. Sometimes it seems that it's not always black and white tho

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that I need to learn patience lol... The reason I asked about the ammonia leaving without nitrate spike was because after going from 4-5ppm ammonia to 2ppm, I still never saw a spike in nitrite or nitrate. I did read thru every article anyone has ever sent me. I'm trying to retain as much as I can. Sometimes it seems that it's not always black and white tho
It's probably user error (no offense) of the API nitrate test

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* Of course, at only 2 days, it could be that the bottled bacteria was dead and the nitrifying bacteria in the air hasn't had time to multiply yet... but you added actual live rock so assuming it wasn't just tossed in the LFS bin in the last week or 2, it should have had some bacteria in it as well.

305 Steve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are things that are black and white and there are alot more things that arent black and white and then there are alot alot alot more things that arent even definable yet as we dont know the proper questions to even ask. You will not be able to discern the difference between 4 ppm and 2ppm nitrate on an API with absolute precision so dont even stress it man. You are heading in the right direction but nothing good in the hobby happens fast and if you want to avoid alot of the issues that 90% of starting reefers have then just sit back and watch your glass of nature do its magic and while you fascinate over it, do as much research on your own by lurking through here and other forums and talking to other reefers as possible!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add 10 drops, shake bottle #2 like hell for 30sec, 10 drops and then shake vial like crazy for 1 minute. I do exactly what it says
Did you shake the bejezus out of each bottle before using? (Like smack it on the counter...? Lol)

305 Steve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* Of course, at only 2 days, it could be that the bottled bacteria was dead and the nitrifying bacteria in the air hasn't had time to multiply yet... but you added actual live rock so assuming it wasn't just tossed in the LFS bin in the last week or 2, it should have had some bacteria in it as well.
i think i saw a piece of tonga rock that he got from the owner who im familiar with and i know that rocks been in there for at least a year or double so the rock was good its just time IMO

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are things that are black and white and there are alot more things that arent black and white and then there are alot alot alot more things that arent even definable yet as we dont know the proper questions to even ask. You will not be able to discern the difference between 4 ppm and 2ppm nitrate on an API with absolute precision so dont even stress it man. You are heading in the right direction but nothing good in the hobby happens fast and if you want to avoid alot of the issues that 90% of starting reefers have then just sit back and watch your glass of nature do its magic and while you fascinate over it, do as much research on your own by lurking through here and other forums and talking to other reefers as possible!
And try to develop a love and fascination of algae so when you're in the ugly stage it's still fun ;)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i saw a piece of tonga rock that he got from the owner who im familiar with and i know that rocks been in there for at least a year or double so the rock was good its just time IMO
Are you in Delaware or Florida?

OP
OP
90addict

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok ok. I'll just sit back and watch my hitchhiker snails move about for a few weeks lol. I just get so excited for my new hobby that I just wanna touch it lol

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back