Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates (most notably Ostreopsis) use amino acids for food. If you have elevated amino acids and bad luck, you can get an exponential Ostreopsis outbreak that will decimate your tank in days. Functionally, you end up with a red tide event in your aquarium with equal toxicity.

Ask me how I know this.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates (most notably Ostreopsis) use amino acids for food. If you have elevated amino acids and bad luck, you can get an exponential Ostreopsis outbreak that will decimate your tank in days. Functionally, you end up with a red tide event in your aquarium with equal toxicity.

Ask me how I know this.

Not if the corals are taking it up (and other organisms). The same could be said for literally any kind of food. If something eats it, and not much else is around, the of course it will thrive. But amino acids are not something that appear to correlate with dino outbreaks in the vast majority of cases I have worked with and have seen on here.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea is like a lot of reefing companies who claim X trace element promotes Y color. This is something that is likely made up. Many companies will say the same element does one color and another saying it helps with another color. Color is a result of zooxanthellae density, chromoproteins, photopigments, and what colors are being bounced back at you from having a certain color of light on the coral. Fluorine has its functions (of which vary), but color is not likely one of them.

Corals.com
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ask me how I know this.
I think other factors contribute primarily to dinos and of course if you throw high nutrient aminos into the tank I could see that aiding and accelerating what was about to occur in the first place. It's like feeding algae the perfect amount of light for photosynthetic growth.

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Buckeye
Back