+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I've got a 45-gallon reef tank with dimensions of 20 by 20 by 27 inches. I've got a lot of rockwork and a lot of hiding holes and the tank is also a sand bottom. I already have two clowns and i was hoping to keep a splendid dotty back. Has anyone had any experiences with the fish and if so what fish do you think I can keep with these guys? I was planning on keeping them with a hawkfish but I've heard they don't really do well together.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello everyone
I've got a 45-gallon reef tank with dimensions of 20 by 20 by 27 inches. I've got a lot of rockwork and a lot of hiding holes and the tank is also a sand bottom. I already have two clowns and i was hoping to keep a splendid dotty back. Has anyone had any experiences with the fish and if so what fish do you think I can keep with these guys? I was planning on keeping them with a hawkfish but I've heard they don't really do well together.
Hawk can be annoying to many tank mates. The dottyback gets to an easy 4” and needs room and live rock to pick on and for cover
While peaceful can have a temperament towards certain fish and is also a jumper
They eat sponge, LRS fish frenzy and mysis shrimp

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I think this is a bad idea.. that dottyback is the biggest one and will be bigger than an adult clown (excluding maroons). I would go for a strawberry or orchid. Did a bunch of research on these guys and they are a brilliant purple and stay pretty small. Ill be getting one in a few weeks

Corals.com
OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a bad idea.. that dottyback is the biggest one and will be bigger than an adult clown (excluding maroons). I would go for a strawberry or orchid. Did a bunch of research on these guys and they are a brilliant purple and stay pretty small. Ill be getting one in a few weeks
Really. I heard that splendids get only about 5 inches.

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Splendid and it was a bully. Rehomed it after it decided to terrorize a Melanurus wrasse I purchased. It also targeted my Bangaiis in particular. Don’t do it is my opinion.

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well depending on if you’re going Fowler or coral heavy, dwarf angel, one of the smaller wrasses might be nice. A couple fire fish gobies are another option. Hawkfish good choice. Maybe a trio of chromis?

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on going coral heavy. Not for about another 6 months but around December planning on adding some LPS. I was thinking of going 2 fire fish and a hawk fish. Plus the two clowns I already have how do you think they would do.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a splendid housed with a royal gramma and there weren’t any issues. Great looking fish and was always active.
Thanks for the response but I think I'll stay away from them for know. Might consider putting them in last if I even go for them or might setup a one species only tank for the splendid. I'm I'm pretty scared about there aggressive tendencies and chance of eating snails and harrassing other fish.

CamoFan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response but I think I'll stay away from them for know. Might consider putting them in last if I even go for them or might setup a one species only tank for the splendid. I'm I'm pretty scared about there aggressive tendencies and chance of eating snails and harrassing other fish.
Mine never messed with the inverts. If anything, my blue eye kole tang harassed him, lol. Not aggressive, just would follow and stalk him.

Top Shelf Aquatics

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had an experience with these Dottybacks and coral banded shrimp
I have a coral banded shrimp. Shes a butthole but only goes after other inverts. Ive got a tiny damsel and they hang out. My coral banded did kill my arrow crab though. Shes also pretty small and no where near full grown. Ive heard horror stories about them killing smaller fish… not my experience yet haha

BRS
OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooh gotcha.
Yup, our border patrol drives me NUTS. Can't get anything imported.

Well, these are my stocking options. (Btw I already Have the clowns)

Hawkfish, Clownfish, Fire Fish
Clownfish, Goby and Pistol Shrimp, Clown Goby
Clownfish, Splendid Dottyback, (Damselfish)

Which one would you pick or would you rearrange any?

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

World Wide Corals
Back