Are any of the captive bred Dottybacks safe with snails and hermits?

Nutramar

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 15g with quite a lot of rockwork, and I thought it would make a nice home for a single Orchid or Sunrise Dottyback. However, I added snails and hermits to the tank, and I am now understanding that there is a good chance they will dissapear with a dotty on the scene.

I like the idea of going captive bred after too many bad experiences working in an LFS growing up. Dottybacks seem very interesting in tanks full of caves.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 15g with quite a lot of rockwork, and I thought it would make a nice home for a single Orchid or Sunrise Dottyback. However, I added snails and hermits to the tank, and I am now understanding that there is a good chance they will dissapear with a dotty on the scene.

I like the idea of going captive bred after too many bad experiences working in an LFS growing up. Dottybacks seem very interesting in tanks full of caves.

I can't speak for the dottyback but since you mentioned captive bred have you considered the royal gramma? Biota has them if others report back invert issue.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you seen ornate dottybacks? if they're snail-safe (I don't know that for certain), might be worth getting; they're lovely little things with bright eyes.

Aren't dottybacks normally a problem for molting crabs and shrimp, not for snails and hermits that can retreat into shells?

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Lebowski_

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for the dottyback but since you mentioned captive bred have you considered the royal gramma? Biota has them if others report back invert issue.
I haven't been able to find one in stock here in Canada, at least not one labelled "Captive Bred" or something of that sort. I would actually prefer the RG as I have kept them before and really enjoy their personality.

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to find one in stock here in Canada, at least not one labelled "Captive Bred" or something of that sort. I would actually prefer the RG as I have kept them before and really enjoy their personality.

I missed the Canada part, I'm sorry. Not as in sorry Canada is bad but sorry as I missed it and they may not be available!

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back