+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone
I've got a 20 by 20 by 28 inch tank. 45 Gallon system with a sump which will be coral-heavy. I already have two clowns and I'm trying to add some more fish.
This is my potential list
Clownfish (2)
Clowngoby (2)
Splendid Dottyback (1)

What do you reckon? Doable or Not

Also if I were to get rid of the Dottyback could I Add a goby and pistol shrimp pair?

AS

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone
I've got a 20 by 20 by 28 inch tank. 45 Gallon system with a sump which will be coral-heavy. I already have two clowns and I'm trying to add some more fish.
Clownfish (2)
Clowngoby (2)
Splendid Dottyback (1)

Also if I were to get rid of the Dottyback could I Add a goby and pistol shrimp pair?
I'd lose the dottyback as they can be very aggressive. Then you could replace it with the goby and shrimp pair or a basslet like a black cap or royal gramma. Or you could do a possum wrasse which would be my favorite.

1112-425XL

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an electric indigo dottyback, if I could catch it it'd be donated to my LFS. Fortunately my Melanurus Wrasse and Swallowtail Angel keep it in check. But it chases my tail spot blenny and orange spot goby when it gets the opportunity.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems out of everyone I've asked and all the research almost everyone says I shouldn't keep the dotty back. I guess that solves that. Do you think I could keep a possum wrasse with 2 clowns, 2 clown gobies, and a Pistol shrimp goby pair? Or do you think that would be overdoing it

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems out of everyone I've asked and all the research almost everyone says I shouldn't keep the dotty back. I guess that solves that. Do you think I could keep a possum wrasse with 2 clowns, 2 clown gobies, and a Pistol shrimp goby pair? Or do you think that would be overdoing it
Depends on the filtration and a bit on the temperment of the clowns. I advise using an acclimation box for all additions.

BRS
OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the filtration and a bit on the temperment of the clowns. I advise using an acclimation box for all additions.
From when I saw them a the shop they where in a group of clowns and hawkfish and I saw no aggression. I watched the tank for half an hour. But I get what you mean I have heard of clowns being kinda aggressive. Why the acclimation box and how would I use it?

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From when I saw them a the shop they where in a group of clowns and hawkfish and I saw no aggression. I watched the tank for half an hour. But I get what you mean I have heard of clowns being kinda aggressive. Why the acclimation box and how would I use it?
It allows fish to safely get used to each other. I have one that uses suction cups. You put the new fish in there and watch to see any aggression from the older residents. If there is none after a couple days then there should be no issues.

IMG_6109.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so. I have a 20 gal. with two clowns, a possum wrasse a royal gramma and a pom pom crab. Rbta and a bubble coral. They all get along fine.
Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to stay away from the royal gramma for now. I might setup a single species tank just for a dottyback.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It allows fish to safely get used to each other. I have one that uses suction cups. You put the new fish in there and watch to see any aggression from the older residents. If there is none after a couple days then there should be no issues.

View attachment 3176805
Awesome thanks for the response. I might buy one of those they look pretty reasonable. Is that a marine betta in the acclimation box? They are stunning fish.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the response. I might buy one of those they look pretty reasonable. Is that a marine betta in the acclimation box? They are stunning fish.
Actually it’s a yellowtail tamarin wrasse! One of my favorite fish but can be very shy and sensitive. This the box.
IMG_3102.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

grynning4fish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone
Clownfish (2)
Clowngoby (2)
Splendid Dottyback (1)

Maybe try an orchid dotty back? I believe it’s one of the least aggressive dotty backs.. i’ve never had any problems. Also neon gobies and yellow line striped gobies are pretty fun, they are fast and nice to watch.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try an orchid dotty back? I believe it’s one of the least aggressive dotty backs.. i’ve never had any problems. Also neon gobies and yellow line striped gobies are pretty fun, they are fast and nice to watch.
Thanks for the response. I'm just gonna stay away from the Dotty Backs for now. Yeah lots of gobies are upright characters.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it’s a yellowtail tamarin wrasse! One of my favorite fish but can be very shy and sensitive. This the box.
View attachment 3176828
Looks STUNNING. Are they hard to keep? I've seen they need a 50-gallon tank or larger. Do you think I could squeeze one into my tank? I am a beginner so be honest.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks STUNNING. Are they hard to keep? I've seen they need a 50-gallon tank or larger. Do you think I could squeeze one into my tank? I am a beginner so be honest.
Unfortunately it is not right for you. I don't know where you saw 50 gallons. Mine is tiny but they reach 9 inches. Maybe for a few years you could keep a small one as they grow fairly slow however the other issue is their difficulty. You may have seen they are listed as an expert only fish on Live Aquaria and that is because they often don't take to captivity and are easily injured. If you see one at a store and you can see it eat and also swallow that food then I'd be tempted. However I'd also want a good copepod population. It is not a beginner fish.

A possum wrasse or a pink streak are great starting wrasse I would suggest though.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it is not right for you. I don't know where you saw 50 gallons. Mine is tiny but they reach 9 inches. Maybe for a few years you could keep a small one as they grow fairly slow however the other issue is their difficulty. You may have seen they are listed as an expert only fish on Live Aquaria and that is because they often don't take to captivity and are easily injured. If you see one at a store and you can see it eat and also swallow that food then I'd be tempted. However I'd also want a good copepod population. It is not a beginner fish.

A possum wrasse or a pink streak are great starting wrasse I would suggest though.
Awesome Thanks a lot or the detailed response. Ill definitely hold off on them in that case. Your fish looks amazing though. Im thinking of going for the possum wrasse if i can ever find on in Australia. I hate living here.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

TCK Corals
Back