• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Soprano Growout Growth and Update Thread

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be same, I thought I replied twice to phu's pm but something must no be working right. Want to ship wed, try to cut eveything else up thurs or this weekend and ship everyone else stuff soon after (maybe a week to heal)

Top Shelf Aquatics
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

oigimsar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be same, I thought I replied twice to phu's pm but something must no be working right. Want to ship wed, try to cut eveything else up thurs or this weekend and ship everyone else stuff soon after (maybe a week to heal)

How did the fragging go?
Phu, how does your stuff look?
Anyone else have their frags yet?

Avast

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to know how everything is looking as well. I don't think BCT is active on the forum much lately, might be better to send a PM.

I THINK that reefpeeper has his, and Phu should have his. I don't think the last 3 of us have anything and not sure where things are on fragging.

Thanks for bumping up this thread!

oigimsar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tabasco, I contacted him via PM and he got back to me but he has not logged in since he replied (11/2). He is having a rough time and said he was thinking about sending the last of the frags to one of us to finish the growout.

Reefpeeper and Phu, can you confirm if you have your frags?

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tabasco, I contacted him via PM and he got back to me but he has not logged in since he replied (11/2). He is having a rough time and said he was thinking about sending the last of the frags to one of us to finish the growout.

Reefpeeper and Phu, can you confirm if you have your frags?

yes i have my frags. almost all of them died after i recieved them though.

AS

oigimsar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

Here is the master list of frags we are expecting. Let me know if I have missed any updates or information.

Original Pack (still alive):
4 Insanos;
2 pink hippos;
1 Bloodshot;
2 fiery phoenix;
1 god of war;
4 Blondies;
4 darth mauls;
3 tyree Arm;
3 lazer lemons;
4 eclipse;
3 black magic;
5 slimeria;
4 soul snatchers;
4 tequila

From Original Pack (lost):
1 Soprano;
3 time machines;
3 Blue Rhinos;
2 psycho trippin;
2 Mayan Sun
2 Serena Nova;
2 **** beaches;
3 black magic;
3 ring of toxin;
2 princess toadstool

Replacement Pack 1 (are these all lost?):
One soprano morph
3 black magic,
3 psycho trippin,
4 p toadstool,
1 blue rhino and
3 **** beaches
5-6 polyp of eclipse

Replacement Pack 2 (I only saw 4 frags in the pics) - sent to Joker
RDPE (replacing Soprano morph) - Never opened - replaced with gift card from Akwarius
3 Black magic - (only 1 polyp received)
1 Blue rhino
5-6 Eclipse (only 2 polyps received)
3 **** beach - never received, note that they were giving akwarius problems

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok group. I received the remainder of the grow out today. We received 22 frags total. At this point I don't know how many are duplicate, but looks like bct sent some to offset losses. There are some that will likely not make it, although nothing is open right now except the proto paly which is pretty cool.

The frags had a good amout of pest algae so went though several dips and inspections, including a peroxide bath. Nothing really to show in a pic except angry closed polyps. Hopefully we will get some open tomorrow and I can take a pic then.

The good news is that the majority of frags are ready to be divided. Plan is to let everyone chill/recover in my tank for a couple weeks. Then frag and recover a couple weeks. Then ship out. I'd say we are looking at about 6 weeks.

More tomorrow after I see who is going to open for us.

Avast

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, another update. I'll try to post iPhone pics after. Not super savvy on that.

Not a great update. Not sure how much is going to make it. The water was pretty warm when I got it, a lot of heat packs. Didn't think it was going to be an issue but I think it affected everything more than I thought. Also some of the bag smelled really bad. A lot of the polyps are grey and a sloughing off.

Could also be my acclimation process, but the only coral I've lost in acclimation wasa shipment last winter that arrived so cold there were starfish and bristle worms floating in it.

I temp acclimated everything for half hr bc of the dif in temp. Then began dropping the coral to change to my tank water. After that I gave an iodine bath for 10 min and then rinsed in tank water. Because of the amount of pest algae and bristle worms I then gave a 10 bath in revive and put back in pure tank water and floated in the tank. Then I looked at each frag and removed as much algae as I could, dipped in 30 peroxide bath and placed in the frag tank.

I have not had an issue with polyps using this process.

Bct did warn me that there was quite a bit of bubble algae and there was. The whole process took a little over 3 hrs with the 22 pieces.

At this time I still don't know what most things are as the bags were not labelled. It does look like there were several duplicates.

I might try another iodine dip today.

At this time what looks good are the proto plays, dragon eye, a couple w very similar coloration that I can't quite tell if they really are the same or not but they are greenish skirt w neon center and dark mouth. There is one that looks like the eclipse that is starting to open.

I will keep you updated as hopefully we get some good progress but just wanted to let you know what was going on.
Let me know if you have any questions?

I do think based on their condition that they will probably need more than 2 weeks healing time.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354389076.953536.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far what has opened and I think we are in the clear:
Pink hippos. 3p
GOW 1p
Time machines 6p, but there are prob 15 more that are gettin ready to. These are really cool but tiny
Tequilas 1p, but a bunch more will prob open
Radio active dragon eyes 16p (replacement)
Nuclear death 2p (replacement)
Lightning proto paly 8p (replacement)
Blondes (I think) 3p and several starting to open
Metallic pink w green mouth ??3p w a couple more starting to open
Neon orange , greenish skirt, dark oral disk 8p

There are 4 others that are looking better and half open but can't get a description on that I think will pull through. There are 8 that I don't think will make it. Still grey and sloughing off tissue.

There is also a coral I have no idea what it is. Bright blue mat and green polyp things. Kinda looks like anthelia.

Gave everyone another iodine bath today.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I will keep updating til everything is stabilized and then go to every two weeks.

Corals.com

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I think we are mostly settled in and stable. I removed 3 of the 8 that I thought were not going to make it about 3 days ago. I will be removing a couple more tonight. Of the 8 that were not going to make it there is one that I now give 50% chance and another one that I give about 10% chance. Pods are getting a good scavenger meal right now. I gave the 2 that are struggling another iodine bath last night and will continue every 3rd day until they either die or get better. Below is how we are loking on everyone else. Everyone is pretty much all open and happy! Let me know if you have questions. I will try to get pics of everyone soon. But at the very least will be updating status. After we know what is going on with the 2 iffy ones I will go to every 2 weeks.

GOW 1p 2 babies-all open
Time machines-prob 15p all open
NEW opener-Pink Hippos!!-I was able to frag 3 polyps off their plug of about 9 that looked rough, but still alive, and these are doing well, open and happy!
Tequilas-9 all open
Radio active dragon eyes 16p (replacement) all open-I will say this is a nice variety
Nuclear death 2p (replacement) all open
Lightning proto paly 8p (replacement) all open
Blondes 8p and several starting to open-will call this one Blondies for now, but I am not convinced. The polyps are really small and the color is really dull. Could just need some love to color up and get larger polyps
Metallic pink/peach w green mouth ??5p w a couple more starting to open
Neon orange , greenish tan skirt, dark oral disk 10p on 1 disc, 5p on another so there is a duplicate of this-all open. I will try to come up with and ID or a name for our GO so we know what is going on with it. I don't recognize it though.
Neon orange skirt, dark center with some neon orange flecks-1p pretty cool, don't know what it is, but it is tentative.
Neon Green skirt, unknown center-starting to open up and pretty small polyp size. I am not sure if this is a duplicate of the RAD or something else. It kindof looks like the center will be blue, if so, freakin way cool. But I can't really tell at this point.
Some sorty of blue/green colt coral or something that was thrown in. I will try to get an ID on that as well at some point.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Hanna
Back