Something stuck overflow drain

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellas,

I have 2 overflow drains and an additional third emergency one (which only runs when water gets to a certain level).

The lowest one has something stuck on it, valve fully open. I poked it with a long tweezer but it just won't budge whatever is there.

Ive added an abalone recently to my tank. I think it's him but I can't believe he was able to squeeze in that drain.

Either that or it's a clump of snails that just won't budge.

I will travel next week and a friend will look after my tank, but I don't want to leave while running on a single drain.

I'm thinking of draining the overflow box and removing the pipe to see if I can clear the blockage.

I'm open to any other suggestions as well...

Also should I close the top overflow box of my tank with a lid or anything, so the pesky animals don't do this again?

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a tupe/pipe on the end of the drain and blow air in. I fixed mine that way

Thanks man I will give it a try.
What did you have stuck in your case?

Cause I poked inside the pipe with decent strength and whatever is there is stuck like hell.

If it's abalone I know the ******* won't release his bestial grip.

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what was blocking my drain was a mix of sand, small pieces of rock, bubble algae and some sponge, mayby also small snails. Remember to turn of the return pump before ....
It can't hurt to try, and it was super easy fix

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellas,

I have 2 overflow drains and an additional third emergency one (which only runs when water gets to a certain level).

The lowest one has something stuck on it, valve fully open. I poked it with a long tweezer but it just won't budge whatever is there.

Ive added an abalone recently to my tank. I think it's him but I can't believe he was able to squeeze in that drain.

Either that or it's a clump of snails that just won't budge.

I will travel next week and a friend will look after my tank, but I don't want to leave while running on a single drain.

I'm thinking of draining the overflow box and removing the pipe to see if I can clear the blockage.

I'm open to any other suggestions as well...

Also should I close the top overflow box of my tank with a lid or anything, so the pesky animals don't do this again?
I bought sheet foam at Walmart and made a cover.

Turn off the pump and pull the pipe. Maybe a broom handle will fit in the pipe(or something simular).

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you manage to unblock your drain. or is it the abalone that is blocking it ?

Friend of mine helped there were a few snails possibly dead already blocking it. No abalone thank goodness haha.

Unblocked and ready to travel now.

I bought sheet foam at Walmart and made a cover.

Turn off the pump and pull the pipe. Maybe a broom handle will fit in the pipe(or something simular).

That's a good idea for the cover, pretty easy and simple. Managed to get it unblocked by draining overflow and removing the pipe.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back