Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 29 gallon with 2 clownfish 1 yellow tail damsel and 1 yellow watchman goby so it's fairly aggressive tank. I was wondering if I could keep a six line in that size tank or if it would need a larger tank size.

Top Shelf Aquatics

CRABDADDY

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line wrasse in my 40g AIO, which has roughly 30g display. It does just fine and shows no aggression at all. I think it varies greatly depending on the wrasse because I know some people have horror stories about them. My rock is very established and he has plenty to pick at throughout the day.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line wrasse in my 40g AIO, which has roughly 30g display. It does just fine and shows no aggression at all. I think it varies greatly depending on the wrasse because I know some people have horror stories about them. My rock is very established and he has plenty to pick at throughout the day.
Just wait till it sexes!! That’s when the inner demon comes out! Haha…

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend adding a sixline to a small tank. They're little ticking time bombs. They can be fine for a while, even a few years, but once they reach maturity their demeanor changes and they become very territorial. In smaller tanks sixlines can seriously injure and kill their tank mates, they're also a tough fish to catch if you need to remove it. Save yourself from future aggravation and skip the sixline until you get a much larger tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi I have a 29 gallon with 2 clownfish 1 yellow tail damsel and 1 yellow watchman goby so it's fairly aggressive tank. I was wondering if I could keep a six line in that size tank or if it would need a larger tank size.
Theyre hit and miss. My current is 4+ years and was in a 45 cube, 135g, 660g and in my 400g and a model citizen. Ther are some reefers who deal with them as a nightmare. I sold many at My LFS and never had complaints

OP
OP
R

reef2fish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theyre hit and miss. My current is 4+ years and was in a 45 cube, 135g, 660g and in my 400g and a model citizen. Ther are some reefers who deal with them as a nightmare. I sold many at My LFS and never had complaints
What other wrasse species could I have in a 29?

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
BRS

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my six line in a 32g for coming up on 20 months, model citizen. The other tank mates: 2 clowns, yellow tailed damsel, royal gramma and a diamond watchman goby. In my previous 16 years of reefing I almost always had one with the same experience.

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love yellow coris wrasse but my clean up crew is 2 snail 2 hermet crabs and a conch. Also would it not get to big for a 29?
A good choice for a tank of your size is a pink streaked wrasse aka Pseudocheilinops ataenia. They look similar to a sixline but don't have the attitude. Pink streaks can eat tiny snails, but typically they leave your CUC alone. My pink streak is in a 20 long full of snails, crabs, urchins, brittle stars, and a couple of pistol shrimp and she pays zero attention to them.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I love yellow coris wrasse but my clean up crew is 2 snail 2 hermet crabs and a conch. Also would it not get to big for a 29?
The larger of yellow wrasse generally gets to 3-5 inches captivity. Now its look-a-like the banana wrasse is a whole different story

OP
OP
R

reef2fish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger of yellow wrasse generally gets to 3-5 inches captivity. Now its look-a-like the banana wrasse is a whole different story
how long does it take for a six line to mature. Because if it's a good amount of time then I'll take the risk and if it becomes a demon then I'll get it a smaller tank just for it.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
how long does it take for a six line to mature. Because if it's a good amount of time then I'll take the risk and if it becomes a demon then I'll get it a smaller tank just for it.
They dont grow fast

Top Shelf Aquatics

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is looking at it the wrong way. You have to capture it to rehome it and while a small size display may not be that easy. Today vs tomorrow as the tank matures (larger corals, more corals, etc). It may not go willingly.

Also when choosing and buying a fish look at the long term aspect.

OP
OP
R

reef2fish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is looking at it the wrong way. You have to capture it to rehome it and while a small size display may not be that easy. Today vs tomorrow as the tank matures (larger corals, more corals, etc). It may not go willingly.

Also when choosing and buying a fish look at the long term aspect.
well, I don't really know what future tanks I'm going to have, and I could upgrade and leave the six line in the 29.

PeeperKeeper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I don't really know what future tanks I'm going to have, and I could upgrade and leave the six line in the 29.
I think what areefer is trying to say is not to put a fish in a tank that doesn’t make sense long term. 6 lines get mean when they reach maturity, usually a couple years in and they’re hard to catch. You may find yourself having to break down the whole tank (after corals have grown in) to get him out. I’ve been in that position for years with a royal gramma who picked off every fish in my 90 gallon and no matter what I tried, I couldn’t trap him. He had the tank to himself for about 2 years after his last tank mate passed until I finally had to move the tank to install new flooring so I took the opportunity to rehome the RG.

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a fluval flex 32, it was the last fish I added. It doesn't show aggression with other fish, but I'm pretty sure it ate my sea lettuce nudibranch I added. Seems they might not like new additions, so be aware.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquarium Specialty
Back