+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
Your frame because it's black, made me think you found some kind of ridged plastic, or fibreglass.
So I guess using Metal is ok (since the top of my tank does get mist/salt creep coating)? Aluminum is obviously immune to corrosion, so probably ok (since it's not like water off it drip back into Tank).
Pretty simple if just screen frame. I already have enough of the clear nylon aquarium netting, but I just kind of bungee cord wrap around tank corners. (Works but not perfect).

I see now looking again, you have your frame PERFECTLY fitting into the Tank Rim. Nice. I can't do that since I have a Glass Euro Top (so Frame will sit on top).

What I've be trying to build but haven't found a way, is a screen that is on a spring loaded blind roller. Just like blinds on a window, but you pull horizontally across tank top (Thin roller mounted on wall).
Was looking for a roller tube/mechanism and then use the netting (somehow).
Probably impossible to do, so your way should work for me.

Nice craftsmanship on your project. I bet those 90 degree turns which you had to re-enforce were a bit of a challenge (to keep Screen tight)
I see you got Cable guards,
and openings for a Feeder portal (Is there a safeguard in there? My fish (of the Past), targeted any opening to find their way to the DRY FLOOR :( ).

AND WOW. I first looked at your CORNER Pieces on Ebay, thought $27 is insane for one or 4, but it's for a pack of 100 (much better).

You could buy a pack of four on there for $3.

Good call on the feeder cutout. Ironically, three days after I started using this tight fitting, well thought out, and nearly-impossible-for-a-fish-to-jump out screentop, I found my small ruby red dragonet on top of it. It's the only place she could have made it out.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could buy a pack of four on there for $3.

Good call on the feeder cutout. Ironically, three days after I started using this tight fitting, well thought out, and nearly-impossible-for-a-fish-to-jump out screentop, I found my small ruby red dragonet on top of it. It's the only place she could have made it out.
I assume the Dragonet didn't make it? Maybe you got it in time (I hope).
I bet that was a shock after building the perfect net top.
I now see in you photo you have an rectangular insert, to close up that Feeder Portal of Opportunity.

You have no idea how many screen/egg-crate tops I made, and each time a fish found it's a way out.
The last time shocked me. It was a 10 Gallon QT tank with a Factory made SOLID LID. But at the back were the flaps you lift to insert a hang on filter.
Just barely a crack open. 45 Degree angle.
Fish fount it and jumped out (died)!!! THAT MADE ME Furious!!

So for my 35 Gallon QT/Frag Tank that I'm just starting, I made a FORT KNOX LID. Left over Glass from a Terrarium found in garbage, which I tore apart, and added sides from Screening for venting, etc
The Glass got misty even with the Screen vents, so I used a mini Laptop-computer-fan for a power vent thru a tiny hole at back, and it glass cleared up.
2019-05-25_FragTankLid.jpg

Nobody is getting out of this Tank.

I still need to make a DIY Custom screen like you did for my DT's, since Glass isn't a option.
Thanks again for the TIPS.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the Dragonet didn't make it? Maybe you got it in time (I hope).
I bet that was a shock after building the perfect net top.
I now see in you photo you have an rectangular insert, to close up that Feeder Portal of Opportunity.

You have no idea how many screen/egg-crate tops I made, and each time a fish found it's a way out.
The last time shocked me. It was a 10 Gallon QT tank with a Factory made SOLID LID. But at the back were the flaps you lift to insert a hang on filter.
Just barely a crack open. 45 Degree angle.
Fish fount it and jumped out (died)!!! THAT MADE ME Furious!!

So for my 35 Gallon QT/Frag Tank that I'm just starting, I made a FORT KNOX LID. Left over Glass from a Terrarium found in garbage, which I tore apart, and added sides from Screening for venting, etc
The Glass got misty even with the Screen vents, so I used a mini Laptop-computer-fan for a power vent thru a tiny hole at back, and it glass cleared up.
View attachment 1082274
Nobody is getting out of this Tank.

I still need to make a DIY Custom screen like you did for my DT's, since Glass isn't a option.
Thanks again for the TIPS.

Just weld a steel plate on top and be done with it. . . :p

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FarmerTy

Hey Ty : I moved your Ectoplasm up higher in the tank and all I can say is "Wow". I can't get the iridescense captured with a phone but this thing is nuts. Did it ever qualify and make it to your DT?

2SzO911h.jpg

2cqdEcHh.jpg

FarmerTy

Follow me on Instagram: black_label_aquatics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FarmerTy

Hey Ty : I moved your Ectoplasm up higher in the tank and all I can say is "Wow". I can't get the iridescense captured with a phone but this thing is nuts. Did it ever qualify and make it to your DT?

2SzO911h.jpg

2cqdEcHh.jpg

Gorgeous! Man, it's really grown for you!

Don't feel bad.... I can't ever catch its color in pictures either.

It still sits in my frag tank as a giant football sized colony. I'm torn whether to cut a chunk off and throw it in the display or leave it in the frag tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

FarmerTy

Follow me on Instagram: black_label_aquatics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been all over the place the last two months. Blue = nitrates, Red = phosphates, and Purple = dKH

xe9Lyjth.png

Looks like a heart rate monitor! [emoji12]

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t
Phosphates is flat dead... ;Dead

Do you measure this manually each day?

I typically measure manually once a week on Saturday morning. When I'm having swings I will also measure alk, NO3 and PO4 mid-week. The phosphates look flat, but it's just the graph's scale. I've had PO4 higher these last two months than it's ever been and the range on the graph is .009 to .083. Started seeing GHA for the very first time in my tank.

So I bought a larger skimmer, cleaned out my sump and overflow, started a GFO reactor, rinsed out my MarinePure bricks, and replaced my fuge light. I'll get it back in line eventually.

BRS
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having a hard time controlling my alk, nitrates, and phosphates last month or two. This has lead to browning out, burnt tips, and an overall dull color. SO, what do we do when we have parameters off? Start changing a bunch of stuff all at the same time to completely lose track of what is going on in your tank and why. . . :p

I could not pass up a great deal on a monster of a calcium reactor. Hooked it up last night and this morning. SRO CR5000D calc reactor, CarbonDoser regulator, and a ReefFanatic controller. The reactor is rated for 1000 gallons - it will probably be two years before I have to add media. :) I had to place it in an adjoining room and run the lines through the wall.

VHyxCL6l.jpg

FRG4TQTl.jpg

36Am191l.jpg

GEIsgoel.jpg

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! This is Nathan, hows your ac holding up this summer?

Hey Nathan! We did the "maybe, just maybe we can get one more summer out of it. . ." on the AC. Prayer cards were submitted at church and I burned incense and fasted for the month leading up to July for good measure. :p How it has not given up the ghost is beyond me. At 74 degrees it will cool the house. Set it to 73 and the compressor overheats and shuts down. We will be tested severely this weekend at the projected 103 degrees.

Tank is recovering from an outbreak of GHA, lighting change, and switch to a calc reactor. Doesn't look bad, but doesn't look as good as it usually does. How about you?

Avast
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, well that's good, hopefully no problems! I saw your ca reactor and it's awesome. Was it easy to swap from dosing? I'm still afraid to swap over from dosing but I'm at 185ml per day of alk.

It wasn't hard. I went slow. I used the constant flow method where I kept the effluent at a steady beaded stream and slowly lowered the reactor's pH with the controller. I started at 7.5 pH and reduced my doser timers by 30 seconds , then kept lowering pH while cutting back the doser timers. Now I have the reactor chamber at 7.15, have ceased dosing, and have maintained 8.3 - 8.4 dKH steadily for the last week. First time I have not had ALK swings from day to day. Only downside is that my tank's pH dropped from a daytime average of 8.2 to 8.0.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. Do you run a magnesium supplement also? What kind of doser are you feeding it with?

Magnesium I'm still going to manually dose when needed. I use IO regular salt and with a 10% weekly water change I usually stay in the 1350-1400 range.

I was using the BRS 1.1ml/minute dosers controled by a DA Reefkeeper controler. I was dosing two part calk and alk every 30 minutes.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

LA
Back