• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexycorals "My Miami chalice" growout..

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so some of us have been reading that other growout that apparently went all wrong :sad:

but, I have taken what went wrong with that growout and I think I have made corrections in the "plan" to have my own that will be successful.

The plan:
1) Reduce the amount of people involved--I want 5 people for this growout.
2) Get a FAST growing coral (My miami chalice is known to be a fast grower).
3) Don't ditch people. I have nowhere to go :)

That being said, I talked with www.sexycorals.com and they are willing to help with this growout! Mike even offered to throw in another chalice that we can grow out!

The price will be $120 per person to purchase the coral ($120 x 5 = $600). After the coral has been grown out, you will pay for shipping and then that's it. I usually can do USPS express shipping (overnight service) for $25-35. I don't charge for boxes or styrofoam since I get it for free.

My miami is pretty well known for being a fast grower, but I can't promise any sort of time frame. I personally hope it doesn't take long! Keep in mind, I am also paying part of the money ($120) as I am a member of this growout. You're not paying me--I'm collecting the funds and that's it; I'm not making any money on this.

The risks: I will do my best to keep the coral alive and thriving and I will frag it. I have a frag tank with over a hundred frags growing/thriving right now and I have personally fragged them all. I'd like to say that I know what I'm doing since I've been a hobbyist for many years. That being said, if the coral dies, we are all out of luck. I don't want the coral to die since I'm also invested. Therefore, I will do my best to make that thing grow :tongue:

I have 2 people that are interested. I'll message them now and see what they think. I said that I would like 5 people total. If you guys would like, we could do 6 people and reduce the price all around, but I don't want to go more than 6 people. You can post here or PM me if you're interested..and ask questions :) Don't be shy.

ps: Reef2Reef is in no way responsible for anything that happens good or bad from this growout.

Last edited by a moderator:
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense, but I would be a little weary of sending you a bunch of money on a promise.

Yeah, no offense taken. To be honest, I'm a little weary of having so many people put their faith in me :) I'm a good person though (I think...and I think my wife thinks...lol). I dunno though :) Everybody will have my contact information so they could call and yell at me if I skip town ;)

You don't have to trust me for this..and I honestly don't blame ya...but I know that >I< want this coral and if I can reduce the price, I'm all for it!

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a two eye frag in the fs form for under 600. wouldnt that be better.

Well, Mike said for $600 he would hook us up. I trust sexycorals :)

Also, as far as the wrong forum....I don't know where it "should" go :) Sorry if I put this in the wrong area mods!

AquaCave Logo Banner

NanoNano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so do you keep fragging off an eye as it grows and send them out, or wait till you have 5 eyes.

if you do it eye by eye, when its over you will be left with one eye and the first person to recieve theres probably has many eyes. right?

I need you to frag me some eyes of your 8 billion chalices you just won :wink:

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so do you keep fragging off an eye as it grows and send them out, or wait till you have 5 eyes.

if you do it eye by eye, when its over you will be left with one eye and the first person to recieve theres probably has many eyes. right?

The last guy had planned to frag an eye and allow two to grow. I've seen the growth from the my miami, I don't think there is need to do it that way because it could cause the growth to slow down. I plan to let 5 eyes grow on the frag I receive and then cut into 5 equal pieces and send 4 of them off.

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 4 people (including myself) interested so far (1 actually hasn't fully said they want to). I haven't talk to any of the other people about allowing for 6 total people to reduce the overall price per person..but I will.

I'm headed off to school (college) for now; I'll respond to my PM's when I get back home in 4 hours.

So far for interested:

Nanonano.
Extremehobbyist.
Me.
Rayzback.

ps: nobody has paid anything yet nor have I asked for payment. That'll be done if we decide we're all ready to go and if WE will include a 6th or not.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, to the mods, if you could put this in the group buy section for me, I would appreciate it. My fault, I didn't even see that section.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so said that I'll just answer questions here rather than getting a bunch of PM's and possibly answering people incorrectly.

I think, instead of everybody sending me the money, we'll all just send it directly to sexycorals in 5 parts. That way the money never even goes to me whatsoever.

Kraylen, you're welcome to join...but your theory does scare me a bit :p If Kraylen joins, we have 5. Unless you guys want to find a 6th person and reduce the total cost.

Current cost per person is 120 + shipping when it's time to ship the coral(s).

IF we decide to do 6 people, the cost would be: 100. It may be a little longer before we receive the corals though...but again, there is no time limit at all set or even an estimate that I'll give on how long it'll take. I'm just assuming that the time "won't be that bad".... "Won't be that bad" doesn't have any sort of time value set to it :)

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really like to make sure we have a solid 5 and a person as backup just incase someone backs out....so please send a pm if you're interested or have questions about this growout...

Once it's started...we'll officially call it "our miami" as another member pointed out :p

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 more person needed. We have a 5th who is currently a "maybe". So this last slot is still up for grabs. Would like to have the money sent by next week.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone that is unfamiliar with the Jason Fox My Miami chalice, here is a link to a picture that represents what the coral should look like: http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/mymiami.jpg

This coral has gone for over $2000 for a single eye!

We're only asking for each member to pay $120 + shipping when the time comes to ship!

We need one more member that's willing to go in.

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3 people listed as "maybes". Really want that one last solid person! Going to head off to bed. Maybe someone will be on board when I wake up :)

Also, for some peace of mind: I have two takes set up currently and I've been keeping fish tanks for about 20 years and been keeping reef tanks for 8 years (maybe 9). I have a small nano and a tank that I set up for just frags. I really don't care much for fish, I just love looking at pieces of coral :) That being said, the piece will go into my frag tank where I can feed it easily. If something goes wrong, I can easily move it to the nano. If the nano and frag tank has something go wrong, I have my brother, who is also in the hobby, just a few miles away and I can put the coral in his tanks.

This is to show that I'm ready for the worst :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back