OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I appreciate the tip, my comment was a bit more meta. At the risk of coming off as a complainer, let me explain my thoughts.

Should the criteria for finalists really be so stringent? If this is a forum contest, why are reactions from the submissions thread not considered?

Why focus so much on quality of the photography over the creativity of the overall submission or interpretation of the theme?

Just seems like there's a disconnect between what gets a lot of reactions and what you tend to pick as finalists.
Reactions as mentioned above can be biased by popularity of the person posting the picture as well as random availability of people on the thread, except for few members who are very active on the POTM thread . I for example would react to any picture posted as an appreciation of participation but not necessarily to say picture Is of a certain quality.
It's always a mix of subject , photographic quality, interpretation.of the theme, creativity but it's always easier said than done to have a balance.
There's also always the debate whether we allow multiple votes or a single one ....

Again not claiming its the best approach but we had success so far with this approach looking at the improvement in quantity and quality of the last 10-15 POTMS yet of course more than willing to review.

Last edited:

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reactions as mentioned above can be biased by popularity of the person posting the picture , we try to avoid that by hiding the POTM thread while vote is ongoing which is not 100 proof I realize. Also the idea is that one might not scroll through 6-7 pages to react so they are very random except from few members we see in the potm consistently.
We never focus on any of the aspects specifically and try to have a combination of all the aspects you mentioned, u will.see submissions that are nice shots without necessarily being phtogrqphically excellent. Yet at times pictures are very flowed that even if the match the theme its still not fair to be allowed like for example dirty glass or blurry shots .... its a tough balance.
Typically it's not as bad with the selection but this month potm was very active that we had to nitpick.
And when pictures are close to the point it's unfair to allow one and not the other I increase the number of finalists allowing members to make the cut. That's what seemed like the most fair approach well definitely consider the Input.
Well stated. I appreciate the semi curated format of this competition. It seems to keep a higher standard of photography than people fishing for likes with whatever lowest common denominator content people react to. I could go many places on the net ( reddit, instagram, imgur) and let the mob decide. Which is usually a girl in yoga pants holding a goldfish bowl or whatever.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would make a lot more sense to simply ensure that the X pictures with the most community reactions get into the finalists by default. That way it's still curated, but the community voice is still strongly reflected.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well stated. I appreciate the semi curated format of this competition. It seems to keep a higher standard of photography than people fishing for likes with whatever lowest common denominator content people react to. I could go many places on the net ( reddit, instagram, imgur) and let the mob decide. Which is usually a girl in yoga pants holding a goldfish bowl or whatever.
You don't seem to hold your fellow forum members in very high regard. I'd definitely hesitate to call any popular content on this site as appealing to the lowest common denominator. :/

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think it's a weird attitude to say that something with a lot of reactions is inherently bad.

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would make a lot more sense to simply ensure that the X pictures with the most community reactions get into the finalists by default. That way it's still curated, but the community voice is still strongly reflected.
The first posts always gets more likes and reactions. As are ones posted by more well known posters.
A lot of people will only look at the first page and then post their photo so in my opinion reactions should have no roll in what photos are chosen

smitten with ocean life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we've done many photo critiques for hte first runner ups where I hoped many would chime in with their thoughts as photography isn't always a single persons opinioin except for the clearly visible observations...
will have a look at your shot and provide my input gladly but bnetter do it after the vote to avoid intergfeering with voters choices.
totally fine! my wasnt a runner up. im just a first timer ;)

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first posts always gets more likes and reactions. As are ones posted by more well known posters.
A lot of people will only look at the first page and then post their photo so in my opinion reactions should have no roll in what photos are chosen
Did you even look at old contest threads to see if this was true before you posted it? I just looked at a previous contest and the most likes were on the 3rd and 1st pages. (Out of 3). Just seems like a super explicit signal of quality being completely ignored. Sorry I can turn the product manager part of my brain off.

Last edited:

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't seem to hold your fellow forum members in very high regard. I'd definitely hesitate to call any popular content on this site as appealing to the lowest common denominator. :/
I meant a contest based solely on likes has potential for that. It is a common occurrence on other sites that base content exposure on reactions. Humans can be pretty predictable.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geesh you would think the prize was $1000 or something.
Well since this is turning into a complaint thread I'm still miffed because I'm not eligible to win the prize because I refuse to use Facebook. But I enjoy participating :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was honestly trying to provide feedback, wasn't the one that stated claiming other people's opinions are less than theirs, lol.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was honestly trying to provide feedback, wasn't the one that stated claiming other people's opinions are less than theirs, lol.
Sorry my post wasn't directed at you but just the general tone this thread has taken. It all started because someone got their feelings hurt when their image didn't make it to the finals. JMO

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you even look at old contest threads to see if this was true before you posted it? I just looked at a previous contest and the most likes were on the 3rd and 1st pages. (Out of 3). Just seems like a super explicit signal of quality being completely ignored. Sorry I can turn the product manager part of my brain off.
Yeah
Because I was also a bit bitter when I wasn’t nominated for the “green coral” and had your exact thought because I had I think the second or third most reactions. Though when I later looked back I saw a general decline in reactions and in all honesty my photo was over saturated and not really very green.

Look it’s normal to feel bitter when the photo you got your hopes up for doesn’t get nominated but it happens to everyone. Keep trying! Trust me it’s the chase and getting better that’s fun not the win.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah
Because I was also a bit bitter when I wasn’t nominated for the “green coral” and had your exact thought because I had I think the second or third most reactions. Though when I later looked back I saw a general decline in reactions and in all honesty my photo was over saturated and not really very green.

Look it’s normal to feel bitter when the photo you got your hopes up for doesn’t get nominated but it happens to everyone. Keep trying! Trust me it’s the chase and getting better that’s fun not the win.
It's natural to be defensive when the data doesn't support your hypothesis. I wasn't even in the top number of likes on my submission, so I wasn't talking about myself. Keep on projecting though.

No idea why you decided to make it personal. Never once did I demean or name call anyone, and I'm called bitter for sharing my feedback.

1727551846460.jpeg

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back