• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

SC's Ultimate Chalice Growout

CLICK TO VIEW

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
option #2 it is then! I really didn't think anyone would find a reason to prefer #1, but I just didn't want to presume for anyone.

A few updates-

-Found a food that the flamethrower loves to eat. It was eating the caviar, but not very aggressively so I was worrying a little bit. I didn't say anything because I knew I was being paranoid (a local reefer who I consider an expert reefer has never had success with this chalice, so I was always a bit nervous regarding my ability to prevail where he was unable to) but I was still a little worried, especially when I thought I was seeing some exposed skeleton. Well, turns out the spots are actually the blue coming in :embarrassed: and it looks to be gaining in some size, especially after it chowed down last night. So very happy there :bigsmile:

-Might have a new camera lined up, maybe as early as this weekend, so will be able to get pictures rolling soon. I know y'all would probably be happy with the phone pics, but I just feel like it would be a step backwards in showing off how they're doing with the cruddy pics.

-The lingerie is coloring up more, and several of them have noticeable growth developing, so I should be able to show you some decent progress once I get the photo's going.

- Still letting the new frag tank "break-in" and get fully settled before I risk any of these guys, so just an FYI that they're still hanging out in the 20L for now. Not that it's a big issue, just letting you know where they are. I will admit I've been putting more time into the new frag tank, as well as a complete redo of my 30 gallon, so haven't been giving them as much babying as I'd like, but they're still getting fed every day/every other day. also just changed out the DI on my RO unit so can get some more water changes cranking.

xxbrianxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the update db. lol that's what happened with this frag of bazooka joe I got recently. Thought it was skeleton, but it was just the green coming in :feel_good: and I'm curious what kind of food did you end up feeding them? I've got a couple chalices that I feed every other day with reef roids but I haven't noticed much growth...so I'm lookin for a new food lol.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically feed the H20 Life's Reef Caviar and have great results. The flamethrower is the first one I've seen that hasn't hungrily gobbled up the caviar, which I'm guessing may be due to its smaller size. Let me keep up the feeding with the other stuff for a week to make sure the results are repeated before I have anyone get excited and waste their money on it.

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience some coral just don't eat like the others. I'm not sure what causes it, but I've had chalices that won't feed for weeks and then all of a sudden they'll do it again. I can't wait to see how well this goes for you guys. I'm sure it'll be great!

SD Actuary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw the chalices live and in person yesterday. They are looking AWESOME!
Totally jealous of everyone who was able to get in on this, and totally not jealous of everyone who cant walk on over to Brian's house and see the awesome chalices in person :bigsmile:

Corals.com

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hah- thanks Scott!

so here's some random photo's I took tonight during feeding- just taken on my phone cam still, and taken during/after feeding so the food is blocking up some of the chalices.

%
flamethrower, rainbow, and my new bowser at the top of the photo, with the crazy fox to the right of it, My Miami to the right of that
2011-04-16_00-11-58_865.jpg

closer-up of the rainbow with the my miami sucking in a nice pile of food above it
2011-04-16_00-12-04_778.jpg

just stoked that the bowser is chowing down, totally a shameless showing off picture :xd:
2011-04-16_00-11-47_966.jpg

closer of the flamethrower
2011-04-16_00-11-53_170.jpg

My Miami
2011-04-16_00-11-33_529.jpg

more- plus an utter chaos hanging out with the rest
2011-04-16_00-11-39_194.jpg

yes I'm obsessing over the flamethrower for no good reason anymore, my earlier paranoia is lingering
2011-04-13_21-44-09_957-1.jpg

Light hangs over, so tough to get a photo of the rest- but a few in this photo: SC's People Eater, WWC's Toxic Pie, a secret nuclear pink, then towards the 'front/bottom' are the JF Orange Rainbow (with new pups forming, btw it's also a muncher :D) our SC frozen Lava, SC lingerie
2011-04-13_21-44-09_957-1.jpg

2011-04-13_21-44-04_536-1.jpg

2011-04-13_21-44-04_536-1.jpg

2011-04-13_21-44-28_511.jpg

hope that helps for now! need to get them all remounted to some bigger discs, but still waiting on the new frag tank to get totally 'matured' before risking these guys. May end up keeping the 20 for awhile, and just emptying it out of all the other random stuff and turning it into the chalice lunch cart, maybe hooking up a big fuge to it or something.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any way I could get intoo this growout?

Sorry, but this has been closed for a while. Quite a few people have been asking about getting in on this. All it takes is one person to get the ball rolling on a new growout...

CJ

CLICK TO VIEW

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! Sorry, I honestly just don't think to post, so again, bump the thread whenever and ill put up any latest.

Last night cleared some room so that everyone is now on the sand bed and flush with it to hopefully encourage nice growth and shape, remounted the flamethrower, rainbow to discs instead of plugs. Fed everyone more, all are starting to feed more aggressively, especially noticeable in the crazy fox. The orange zoas are looking really nice as well, up to 4 polyps so we'll all have nice colonies of them by the time the chalices are ready to be shipped I think.

One reason I haven't updated much is the lack of a camera, still working on that. Did take a few phone snaps last night, ill update with them tonight but not that easy to see stuff with them.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm not too worried with pics. It is nice about once a month or so though. That way we can possibly see some of the growth. LOL. Glad to hear they are doing well. You seem to be the master at getting the growth out of chalices.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone shoot SD_Actuary a PM- Scott's letting me bum his camera so I can get some photo's taken! Only problem is he's got a much nicer rig than what I used to use, so taking me some getting used to it. Still, should have you guys some pics within the next few days.

One major note- the Lingerie seems to have gained an eye....or rather, three. I swear while I was feeding it last night it had four mouths munching down food! So very awesome news there, all are showing growth otherwise, though the flamethrower is proving the slowest growing, but has begun to eat Reef Caviar so fingers crossed it's going to start accelerating.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back