Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
went to ORD aquatics again today because I had an errand up near ORD the airport...
Almost got a $35 bicolor angel. instead I got another yellow angel so I have a pair in QT now.
Hopefully I'll see some courting behavior with the two. At least the 6-line cant kill them.

they had an amazing silver-dollar-sized healthy yellow-bellied blue hippo tang for $75... so tempted.

Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW

powers2001

started reefing 1999
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went to ORD aquatics again today because I had an errand up near ORD the airport...
Almost got a $35 bicolor angel. instead I got another yellow angel so I have a pair in QT now.
Hopefully I'll see some courting behavior with the two. At least the 6-line cant kill them.

they had an amazing silver-dollar-sized healthy yellow-bellied blue hippo tang for $75... so tempted.
@Projects with Sam I love bicolor angels. My high school colors, royal blue and gold! However I have terrible luck with them. They are notorious for being collected with the cyanide method.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Projects with Sam I love bicolor angels. My high school colors, royal blue and gold! However I have terrible luck with them. They are notorious for being collected with the cyanide method.
This one was looking a little pale. they had others that were very healthy looking for $45.
I am just glad I didn't impulse buy the one I saw at Petco (where I got those well priced corals) for $75!
I'm sorry you've had bad luck with them; they're very beautiful fish.
Now I'm just hoping the yellows don't devour the corals Timmy (Emperor Angel) leaves alone!

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

powers2001

started reefing 1999
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my t5 light this weekend! I designed and 3D printed some parts that would allow me to use steel vertical shelving brackets (View attachment 2589012) I had and some aluminum flashing to make a double light. I'll be putting out a video about it on my YouTube channel soon enough. I need to add cooling because its getting pretty hot in that hood. I also need to relocate the lighting timers. I will probably redesign it wider and I'll make it so I can mount the LEDs to the frame and raise / lower it on pulleys. Cant run the lights for more then a few hours till I do the cooling because I'm worried about the heat.
View attachment 2589006View attachment 2589007View attachment 2589008
@Projects with Sam what is the name of your YouTube channel?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
2022-09-08 10:07 PMAlkalinity12.3
2022-09-08 10:10 PMCalcium485
2022-09-08 10:13 PMMagnesium1410
Seems my new equilibrium on Kalk dosing is 70ml/hr. everything has been stable for 3 days albeit high. I'm going to leave it and let the numbers drop on their own.

The new yellow angel died. I don't know why - looks fine was doing great last night & this morning; no signs of parasites on him. I acclimated him over 5 hours in the bag in the tank because of salinity differences and he ate last night and this morning. the other fish that were with him in QT are still fine.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any warranty on angel? If not, consider an autopsy and check liver or for internal worms.
I think They have a warranty. I'll call. hmm. want to get another dwarf angel in there with the yellow I'm putting in so I don't miss my window.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think They have a warranty. I'll call. hmm. want to get another dwarf angel in there with the yellow I'm putting in so I don't miss my window.
Just sounds like typical cyanide death. Hopefully next one will be healthy.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Corals.com
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ouch; that's a long acclimation. I have my QT at 1.024 so I was really being generous with acclimation at 5hrs; he was in great shape last night and this morning; looked in on him this afternoon and he looked dazed and confused... have a video but its huge. he was doing nose-up pirouettes.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sounds like typical cyanide death. Hopefully next one will be healthy.
This. I've had bad luck for a few years with dwarf angels because of cyanide. They look healthy and within 48 hours dead.

I've tried different LFS's and a direct Pacific importer. Same result, will only buy them qt'ed now after my latest loss last week. I figure after a few weeks to a month of qt, they have a decent shot of pulling through.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck yeah!

I love the WXM module being able to control my MP40s and MP10. was getting worried about upgrades when I get serious about the hobby.
So instead of a WXM, it's a MXM? So those of us with a older WXM are left in the dust? Yay... Not. As I said in the other A3 thread, they are forcing us classic apex folks to upgrade or go to the competitor.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So instead of a WXM, it's a MXM? So those of us with a older WXM are left in the dust? Yay... Not. As I said in the other A3 thread, they are forcing us classic apex folks to upgrade or go to the competitor.
I think for years there hasn't been a solution due to political reasons within the two companies. I just think its great that now there is something available for when our equipment fails.

It would be great if everything lasted forever but stuff changes; gets better.

I know from a coding standpoint that sometimes its way easier and better to greenfield something then shoehorn new features and functionality into old and antiquated frameworks.

I don't feel left in the dust; in fact, I purposefully went old because it coordinated with my color scheme better. ;)
For the time being, I can get cheap replacement parts to keep my existing setup going and now I just know that when I go to upgrade my systems there are solutions out there. It gives me piece of mind.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back