Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
spousal support and a wow! lucky man. hope the birthday girl likes it too (and you, you can appreciate it if you want).
haha! I'll appreciate it more when I stop worrying about killing it... it is beautiful.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha! I'll appreciate it more when I stop worrying about killing it... it is beautiful.
who's got a big one? is it @Eagle_Steve? I don't know how finicky they are. More than light and consistent params, what do they like?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So its a maxima so it likes rocky substrate and super high light. would have been great in the DT but emperor anglefish snack on them so he's relegated to the exile/frag tank. They like pristine water with low nitrate/phosphate so I may need to work on that.
They don't need to be hand-fed every other day till large like some of the other clams which is a plus.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its a maxima so it likes rocky substrate and super high light. would have been great in the DT but emperor anglefish snack on them so he's relegated to the exile/frag tank. They like pristine water with low nitrate/phosphate so I may need to work on that.
They don't need to be hand-fed every other day till large like some of the other clams which is a plus.
All of my clams do well in 10-20 no3 and at least .1 po4. Anything less and I have had issues when they are smaller. Over 4” and they need some nutrients still, as the zoox in them can then sustain them 100%.

Biggest thing to look for is new growth. If you see white shell growth then all good. If you do not, something is not right. You should be able to tell the diff in new car old every few days.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the ones around me seem to be derasa (sp). Probably what I would go with as they stay smaller; all these live sales lately make real estate tighter in the tank.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my clams do well in 10-20 no3 and at least .1 po4. Anything less and I have had issues when they are smaller. Over 4” and they need some nutrients still, as the zoox in them can then sustain them 100%.

Biggest thing to look for is new growth. If you see white shell growth then all good. If you do not, something is not right. You should be able to tell the diff in new car old every few days.
quick growers then? or is it more a white rim on the edge?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
DIY Kalk stirrer:
IMG_1722.JPEG
Stators printed; paddles printing now; timer received, power supply attained from goodwill. The pex shaft rotates in the stators; the bottom cap has a recessed nubbin the pex rests in. The pex has a tight grip on the motor shaft so once I get the paddles and topcap printed its basically done! (I wish I got a shorter motor. I don't need a 550 for this.)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick growers then? or is it more a white rim on the edge?
Both lol. Happy clams grow quick.

My squammy grew from about 4” to 13” long (shein a year lol.

Not the best comparison, but first pic is sept 12th 2021 and second pic is just now via my web cam. Tank is 24” front to back and overflow box is about 6” of that. Clam has moved itself at an angle now, so it can open up all the way lol.

69456E69-09CE-475F-89AE-91F5574CC2A4.jpeg

14E17774-A19F-4DFD-8EC2-7E5B3BC32378.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Not the best comparison, but first pic is sept 12th 2021 and second pic is just now via my web cam. Tank is 24” front to back and overflow box is about 6” of that. Clam has moved itself at an angle now, so it can open up all the way lol.
Thanks for the information! that's some clam! Glad to know they like some nitrates and phosphates in the water. Algae Barn mentioned they like them almost undetectable; something I cant accomplish with my fish load...

Just dosed FluxRx after noticing the Bryopsis that I so meticulously hand scrubbed away coming back... My fear is that its turf algae and it wont work...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information! that's some clam! Glad to know they like some nitrates and phosphates in the water. Algae Barn mentioned they like them almost undetectable; something I cant accomplish with my fish load...

Just dosed FluxRx after noticing the Bryopsis that I so meticulously hand scrubbed away coming back... My fear is that its turf algae and it wont work...
Last test was 40 or so no3, down from over 50 and .21 po4 lol. My nutrients ran high when I removed all of the macro and installed an algae scrubber. Slowly bringing them down, as not to shock anything. Scrubber is helping, but it has to establish itself and that take a bit.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Last test was 40 or so no3, down from over 50 and .21 po4 lol. My nutrients ran high when I removed all of the macro and installed an algae scrubber. Slowly bringing them down, as not to shock anything. Scrubber is helping, but it has to establish itself and that take a bit.
I've considered an algae scrubber. Seems like a great idea, but I find that "normal" algae smells worse than macro algae. Do you notice a funk from the scrubber at all?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2807405

View attachment 2807406
You target feed them? It looks happy for sure.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered an algae scrubber. Seems like a great idea, but I find that "normal" algae smells worse than macro algae. Do you notice a funk from the scrubber at all?
No smell so far. It is an icecap pro unit, so sort of sealed.

You target feed them? It looks happy for sure.
I do dose phyto daily, but it has gone weeks without any before with no issues. Big clams just need some nutrients and light. Little clams are the ones that need feeding most of the time.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I broadcast Reef Chili, coral aminos and restor from time to time. plus I usually feed 6-9 cubes of frozen daily. stopped pellets when I got the anthias but I guess I can go back to the auto feeder. Will be great for vacations!

AquaCave Logo Banner

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I broadcast Reef Chili, coral aminos and restor from time to time. plus I usually feed 6-9 cubes of frozen daily. stopped pellets when I got the anthias but I guess I can go back to the auto feeder. Will be great for vacations!
I have pellets and flakes, feed frozen periodically, and nori sheets. My biggest concern is not having any coral in the tank for nutrient uptake.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No smell so far. It is an icecap pro unit, so sort of sealed.

I do dose phyto daily, but it has gone weeks without any before with no issues. Big clams just need some nutrients and light. Little clams are the ones that need feeding most of the time.
Good to know. I should dose phyto more regularly.

I have pellets and flakes, feed frozen periodically, and nori sheets. My biggest concern is not having any coral in the tank for nutrient uptake.

That is many cubes, Sam. I split one between 2, sometimes 3 tanks. but I have a smaller bio-load than you. I look forward to the day I can feed the 40 a whole cube of food. Sometimes they get flakes or pellets.

The whole tank gets reef roids or another powdered depending on when a water change is coming. Generally not the roids though; aminos, but I'm not sure why I do this; and phyto when its on hand. I target feed and broadcast the rest. The LPS with large enough mouths get pellets some days too.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good to know. I should dose phyto more regularly.

That is many cubes, Sam. I split one between 2, sometimes 3 tanks. but I have a smaller bio-load than you. I look forward to the day I can feed the 40 a whole cube of food. Sometimes they get flakes or pellets.

The whole tank gets reef roids or another powdered depending on when a water change is coming. Generally not the roids though; aminos, but I'm not sure why I do this; and phyto when its on hand. I target feed and broadcast the rest. The LPS with large enough mouths get pellets some days too.
Aminos, in my experience, really seem to encourage feeding response in corals. I use Brightwell and within 5-10 minutes almost everything has PE and feeding tentacles extended.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aminos, in my experience, really seem to encourage feeding response in corals. I use Brightwell and within 5-10 minutes almost everything has PE and feeding tentacles extended.
So start with aminos then feed. Coral feeding drives the fish crazy. Kinda fun to watch.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back