Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to automate my saltwater changes a little more, not full auto but eliminate buckets. What is the best way to put mixed salt water back into your display? I am pumping from my salt water tank in the basement and bought a big enough pump to handle that. I was thinking 1" pvc for most of the run and then 1" flex (through the floor) to the display. How would I finish that part of it? I was thinking a ball valve and then what? thanks!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
fish face

fish face

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work. I would be sure there's an air space between the outlet of the plumbing and the water line in your DT (or sump?) so there's no risk of a siphon starting and draining your DT. (I wouldn't trust float valves.)
great point airspace check!

landlubber

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just ran a poly hose to my sump and ato reservoir then using valves rigged it up so all that is required is to plug in a small maintenance pump and can fill hands free.
Its worked very well to this point but I definitely have to keep focused as the potential to overfill becomes a possibility. would recommend!

OP
OP
fish face

fish face

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that's cool! I've seen it on youtube a while ago. The guy used a simple ball valve to release the freshly made saltwater from the basement to the DT. He also drained the water from the DT in the same fashion.
I am just interested in returning the water. When I do water changes I like to vacuum the substrate (mixed puka shells and sand). I was thinking of using the pump to drain as well but I think being able to clean the sand is nice. I only have a 75 g display. When I upgrade to 150 200g I would think about automating the drainage. thanks for your input!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Snowxcross

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just interested in returning the water. When I do water changes I like to vacuum the substrate (mixed puka shells and sand). I was thinking of using the pump to drain as well but I think being able to clean the sand is nice. I only have a 75 g display. When I upgrade to 150 200g I would think about automating the drainage. thanks for your input!
Gotcha, i think you know what to do, just use a decent pump in the basement to get the water up, then use a ball valve to release the water, easy!

OP
OP
fish face

fish face

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just ran a poly hose to my sump and ato reservoir then using valves rigged it up so all that is required is to plug in a small maintenance pump and can fill hands free.
Its worked very well to this point but I definitely have to keep focused as the potential to overfill becomes a possibility. would recommend!
thanks for the input that sounds similar to what I'm doing. I already have a 1/4 od line for my top off water. so this is only for water changes. I am going to have two ball valves one in the basement and one at the display and a wifi outlet to control the pump. I will be monitoring actively during water changes. There are so many ways to do things thanks again

landlubber

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input that sounds similar to what I'm doing. I already have a 1/4 od line for my top off water. so this is only for water changes. I am going to have two ball valves one in the basement and one at the display and a wifi outlet to control the pump. I will be monitoring actively during water changes. There are so many ways to do things thanks again
no problem!
It is a very satisfying upgrade to tank maintenance that made me wonder why i didn't do it earlier.
Also, a wifi outlet is a great idea!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Indymann99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running this system for 15yrs. Its NOT automated but removes buckets. I have to turn valves and start/stop pumps. I keep the Brute mix tank (heated and stirred) constantly full (I make fresh SW after each WC), this gives me water on hand if I need to do an emergency WC. Also I can pump DT water change water ("used") to the QT tank for acclamation the last 2-3 weeks of QT.

1680013554274.png

I have limited space so I only have a SW mix tank (vs RO tank and Mix tank). NOTE the RO system on the left is drinking water for the house.

IMG_7714.jpeg

Valve at sump location. Mag 5 pump is in the sump and connected to APEX for control.

1680014062798.png

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back