Which red sea salt

Saltwater_Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting red sea salt for my lps and softie reef tank. I have 5 scans 1 torch and 1 hammer and some basic softies. Which would be better the Blue or black red sea bucket? I am doing 3-gallon weekly water changes on my bio cube 32 and Tropic Marine just gets too pricey.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What alkalinity do you want to run? There is nothing better about one over the other. Just what you want in a salt.

The black bucket Pro salt is high in elements, precipitates easily, can’t be stored, and should be used within 4 hours of mixing

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to match up which salt you want to use based on what levels of Ca, Mg and ALK you'd like to keep. Myself for example, I'm going to keep an ALK at about 12, Ca around 465 and Mg around 1400. So Red Sea Coral Pro is where I'm leaning at present.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the black bucket on my main tank since the elements consumption is super high, so I like that it pushes my parameters higher.

I use the blue bucket on my other 2 tanks which are mainly softie tanks.

OP
OP
Saltwater_Reefing

Saltwater_Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What alkalinity do you want to run? There is nothing better about one over the other. Just what you want in a salt.

The black bucket Pro salt is high in elements, precipitates easily, can’t be stored, and should be used within 4 hours of mixing
Calcium 400-450 Alk has been 9, but I want whatever is best for keeping torches and acans happy. I have also looked into fritz blue box.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Calcium 400-450 Alk has been 9, but I want whatever is best for keeping torches and acans happy. I have also looked into fritz blue box.

The ocean alkalinity is around 6.5-7dkh. I have preferred my alkalinity around 7-8dkh for years

BriDroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the TM Pro Reef salt, and got really frustrated that I couldn't find the small boxes anymore. I looked for something that was very close to the parameters of the Pro Reef, and I settled on the blue bucket. I was shocked that it mixes almost as fast as the Pro Reef and has parameters that are very close as well.

OP
OP
Saltwater_Reefing

Saltwater_Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the TM Pro Reef salt, and got really frustrated that I couldn't find the small boxes anymore. I looked for something that was very close to the parameters of the Pro Reef, and I settled on the blue bucket. I was shocked that it mixes almost as fast as the Pro Reef and has parameters that are very close as well.
I currently have been getting tm pro reef salt and I love how it mixes clean but it costs too much. So I am looking into buying a 75 gpd rodi unit pro from brs. I want to make my own saltwater and stop paying 15 dollars a week for water.

BriDroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have been getting tm pro reef salt and I love how it mixes clean but it costs too much. So I am looking into buying a 75 gpd rodi unit pro from brs. I want to make my own saltwater and stop paying 15 dollars a week for water.
The blue bucket mixes fast. Not as fast as Pro Reef, but totally mixed in 10-15 minutes. Clean too, no extra stuff in the bottom of my bucket.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back