Restarting a tank days after Helene

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, we’ve been caught in hurricane Helene since Friday. I finally have a little cell internet. TLDR; we now have some generator gas and have restarted flow after 3 days on a 200 gallon tank. We’re looking at at least a week total and gas is still limited. What factors do I need to consider moving forward to keep our remaining fish alive?

We had 2 clowns, 9 demoiselles, 2 cardinals, 3 beautiful tangs including one of the last yellow exported out of Hawaii, a small transparent and clown goby, watchman. To my surprise, the clowns are ok and one cardinal lives. I removed the (intact) corpses of the tangs but I can’t find any more dead fish in the tank, I don’t know what happened to them. Corals: not a ton, but mostly softies, a few small Zoa colonies, two groups of out of control paly’s, little monti, little GSP, very floppy decent sized Kenya tree.

I’m not running the lights but from what I can tell most of the corals are retracted but don’t look dead. Biggest concern for me is the small zoa colonies and Kenya tree. Paly’s have color still (unfortunately). The clowns live in a four-headed mushroom, and it actually looks fine. We were also in the middle of a cyano bloom FYI.

My 2 biggest concerns are ammonia and coral toxins after restart. I’ve treated with a healthy dose of Safe (Prime), added 300g of carbon (all I had, “med removal” would be ~400g). Water change is basically out; we just have a trickle of contaminated water, no way the RO membrane would work, and I don’t really have enough spare water on hand to make a difference. Sponge baths are the only option, and a lot of people don’t have any running water at all, including the local hospital. So what other things should I think about and any suggestions to keep our oldest fish alive?

I could move the fish to a 20 gallon QT copper tank and just run that tank, but a few concerns there. If the outage and gas shortage is extensive, then the fish might have to go through another period with just a bubbler. Bubbler might be more effective than in the 6’ tank, but the larger tank will hold temperature better and I would think larger volume is better. Plus, it’s at least possible there could be some fish hiding in the extensive rock work, as I’m not running lights.

A note on preparedness. We weren’t exactly planning for a week plus of power outage plus up to 4 weeks without water in Western NC from a hurricane of all things that went from a category 1 to a category 4 in 12 hours. But, I did have some plans. We bought the generator specifically for this tank, but how much gas can you keep fresh on hand all the time? But, we do keep multiple cars and a 40 gallon boat; two of the cars are totaled, and two of the cars are stuck in the garage. 6 vehicles with like 140 gallons of gas. So my plan was always to use vehicle gas in an emergency like this. Word to the wise: all modern vehicles including boats have anti-siphon valves. It’s basically impossible to access the gas without, at minimum, a special siphon kit, if that would even work on a given vehicle. So don’t make my mistake and think you can just rely on extra vehicles without testing that you can actually siphon first. Our entire tank would still be alive if we had known that.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh Gas I can help with, if you buy the NON ETHANOL blends, that gasoline stores. It's the reason for Lawn Mower and ATV manufactures recommending you run 91 octane gasoline. It does not separate like blended fuels will in storage. For added storage life, add Seafoam.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, what a mess. Sorry your going through this.

I don't think temperature would be a problem being in NC.

I would most likely put them in the smaller tank somewhere that stays in the 70's with the bubbler.

kyreefville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
considering the state infrastructure and possibly unknown time line any chance you could collect as much life as possible and relocate them to a temp location not affected? I’m thinking big plastic container’s with needed lights for corals and filtration for fish.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very sorry to hear your town was impacted by the hurricane; prayers for you, your family, and your community for a quick recovery!

Dramsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really sorry to hear this and best of luck to you and the family.

Most important things from my understanding in order are:

Flow: Oxygenation
Temp:
Then lights etc

I think with restarting the flow you should be ok, maybe slowly incase there is a lot of dead stuff in the sump start with display and then slowly get the sump going, carbon sounds like a good idea place it in a high flow. Best of luck.

Re at gas maybe if you have a smaller air line or dosing line that might sneak pass the anti siphon device but no idea ‍♂️ just and idea.

Good luck and stay safe

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough deal. I think most reefers can ride out a couple days without power, but not weeks. If you have a generator, that is already a really good start. If you can get your hands on some battery operated air bubblers (sporting goods), this will help oxygenate the water and keep the fishes alive.

If your power is going to be out for awhile and not enough gas to sustain, then look for a smaller tank, I would just fill that smaller tank with your DT water and move all the fish/corals in there. It's much easier to heat and provide flow/air to a smaller tank than a 200g. I would focus on the fish. The corals can be replaced since you don't have much and mostly softies.

butterfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what kind of generator you have, but the Honda eu2200i (which is pretty popular and is what I have) has an “eco” mode if you didn’t know. I didn’t realize how much more efficient the mode is until I finally used the generator for about 36 hours during the Helene power outage—went from ~4 hours to ~8 hours on a gallon of gas.

I had the same plan as you to take gas from my car, and was disappointed to find out that I couldn’t siphon it (tried both 1/2” and 1/4” tubing). Next time I’m going to have several 5 gallon containers that I’ll fill up a few days before a predicted hurricane.

Sorry for your troubles.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry you are going through this. My heart goes out to all those affected and those who lost their lives and loved ones. So much tragedy.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that moving the corals, fish and as much rock as you can to a smaller tank or storage vat is a good idea. It will consume much less power to run it.

Remember that if you run LEDs they consume much less power when the intensity is turned down. It might not be ideal for the corals, but it won't kill them in the short term.

Depending on what the room temperature is in the house, you can probably get away with running your main display with only air stones and heater if you move the corals out. Assuming it's 75 ish in western North Carolina. Hell, the heater in the fish/coral tank might only cycle from time to time.

Remember not all hope is lost. I have run nano tanks with nothing but flow, a filter pad, lighting and good live rock for years on end with no alternative filtration. You got this.

Maybe cut back on food a bit so that there is less waste/ammonia.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses, cell internet is still spotty. Just lost my last drops of tap water today but we’re doing ok. When Jose Andres World Central Kitchen comes to your town….

Good news is there are shorter lines for gas, but I consider it available now so I should be able to keep running half the tank (I use 2 return pumps, 2 heaters, and 4 gyre’s split between two apex strips). I think I only budgeted my generator purchase for half the tank, no lights, and a freezer. Fish are still alive and I’ve discovered a few more! 2 clowns, 2 cardinals, transparent cave goby, and small clown goby total which are some of our oldest cutest fish. Makes me wonder if some of the demoiselles are still alive but hiding in the rocks like they do when it’s dark. I’m working a lot at the moment with a lot on my plate so removing 6 feet of live rock/coral isn’t feasible. Temperature-wise the tank registered 68 when I restarted it. For now I’m dosing Safe every other day and should be able to check ammonia tomorrow.

Knucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish should be fine without lights. You will need to get at least an air pump for the gas exchange.

The coral need light. I would find a way of putting all the coral under a small watt light until the power is restored. They will die back without light. 1-3 days are stressful but if it is too long then they will die off.

I'm sorry for your loss in fish. But don't give up you can recover from this.

souciemm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with the smaller tank plan that others have suggested I wonder if you could put it by a window and maybe that would give the corals enough light to survive without you having to use power?

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total Ammonia:
IMG_2249.jpeg

Free Ammonia:
IMG_2270.jpeg

Safe (Prime) for the win!! It was the right thing to do apparently (every other day). Hard to believe a not-super highly stocked 200g system could have so much die off but there it is.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jwood73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the Asheville area, and was fortunate enough to get power back. I have a battery powered air stone I can lend you. I also have rodi on hand and can mix up fresh saltwater depending on how close you are. Also, I was able to get gas today at an ingles without a line, so it seems like it might be getting better? Glad to hear you’re okay (physically/health wise). Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help!

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back