Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if anyone advances the whole dirty roll in one go, as in just below the sensor level from one side to the other which I would estimate it to be about 30cm in my ReefMat 500. The reason I ask is mine is currently set to default where it moves like an inch at a time, but when the roller starts filling up it creates a waterfall on the clean rolls side followed by lots of burps from all the bubbles it creates which is annoying. I figured if the roll did a complete change you wouldn't have this issue as all the drain holes would drain evenly at the same time, instead of just the clean rolls side draining the majority of water as the bottom and other side are full of crap and drain minimally. I'm sure the sump water level wouldn't be affected if a full length was dispersed either, I few in 3 litres of fresh water last night and it rose probably 1mm, and the roller only holds a couple of litres of water. I also played around with the flow, I currently run an S2 at 50% so dropped it to 30 then 20% to see what would happen and same result. FYI the media basket has been removed, all connections are tight and have sealant and there's no air leaks to the unit the bubbles are from the rollers overflow.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JDCagley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not do the whole roll at at a go. I have read here, and a few other places, that the amount you roll afffects how fast one goes through rolls - I disagree! I have now used for my last 3 rolls - different amounts of advance from 1.5" to 4.1" and all of my rolls were finished in 41-43 days. Now, that is a long time to say "all things equal" and I get that, but I do not think changing the amount of advance changes anything other than how often the motor runs. So, in your case, I don't see any harm in allowing it to roll how ever far you need it to. I haven't experienced the bubbling you are and am a bit curious honestly to how this happening. Maybe it is a difference in design? I have the 1200.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video, if you look to the left you’ll see big bubbles coming up and popping which is making the burp sound. I’m not even sure if any of those bubbles are supposed to be there. FYI this video was taken when the water level was near the sensors, it’s not like this after it dispenses.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
S

shadyraro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not do the whole roll at at a go. I have read here, and a few other places, that the amount you roll afffects how fast one goes through rolls - I disagree! I have now used for my last 3 rolls - different amounts of advance from 1.5" to 4.1" and all of my rolls were finished in 41-43 days. Now, that is a long time to say "all things equal" and I get that, but I do not think changing the amount of advance changes anything other than how often the motor runs. So, in your case, I don't see any harm in allowing it to roll how ever far you need it to. I haven't experienced the bubbling you are and am a bit curious honestly to how this happening. Maybe it is a difference in design? I have the 1200.
I'm curious to try a 12" advance and see how it goes, I don't see how it would make any difference to how fast you'd go through a roll. I'm currently going thru about 14" a day, so if the motor does one big turn once a day instead of 14 or 15 small ones then surely that's better for it.

Last edited:
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back