Reefi/Quanta lighting question over 48x36x20

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahoy all, I'm working on the lighting for a IM 150 ext lagoon mixed reef with SPS up top and LPS down lower on the sandbed. I'm between three reefi uno 2.1s spaced 12 inches apart from one another, or two unos and two 4' quanta bars once I figure out what supplemental color I'd like to add. Power wise its all entirely overkill. I'm just after really good color and spread recognizing that Im going to run them at 25% power because the tank is only 20 inches deep. For the unos I'd like to use the Reefi tank mount kit to mount directly on the tank from the back, but they're for 30 inch wide tanks max and not 36, so I'm considering just getting aluminum extrusion and fashioning my own mounts assuming I don't run into torque issues on the tank from the extended overhang levering. For people that have mounted lights on wider tanks like this, do you have any thoughts or advice? I've not tried to get uniform spread over wider tanks before. Thats where I think the quantas will shine, but thats a mounting can of worms I haven't worked out yet. I really like that clean/sleek look with lights and mounting so I'd prefer not to mount a bar across the tank, but I think thats my most realistic option with quanta bars involved.

One of the biggest considerations for me is that I can't stand side glare out of lights and have read that the unos do a great job of mitigating that. Are the quantas decent in that regard as well?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the quanta reef crest pro. Spill isn't a problem. Great light. The one I have has no control so it's off or it's on. no in between. I use a Kasa bar to control it

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive heard that a dimming option will be available at some point, but I could also rig something up. Glad to hear that they don't spill light. Nothing quite like being blinded while sitting in the same room as a tank

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would seriously consider making a canopy for the lights. It will help hide all of the cable clutter and also help with side glare. You should be able to mount both Reefi's and Quantas at the same height (around 10" above the water). The great thing about the Reefi's is the ability to switch lenses, so you can mount them at different heights depending on your setup. The Helix (new version of the Quanta Pro's) should be out soon, probably some time next month? The IM 150ext is in my future and I'm going to build a floating canopy for mine. It will house Quanta's and probably a couple RB halide pendants. With the tank's euro-brace, I don't think there are many "on tank" options out there.

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would seriously consider making a canopy for the lights. It will help hide all of the cable clutter and also help with side glare. You should be able to mount both Reefi's and Quantas at the same height (around 10" above the water). The great thing about the Reefi's is the ability to switch lenses, so you can mount them at different heights depending on your setup. The Helix (new version of the Quanta Pro's) should be out soon, probably some time next month? The IM 150ext is in my future and I'm going to build a floating canopy for mine. It will house Quanta's and probably a couple RB halide pendants. With the tank's euro-brace, I don't think there are many "on tank" options out there.
I'd love to, but the tank is far from walls and ceiling hanging isn't an option. Whatever I do needs to be attached to the tank or stand. I thought I'd have a hard time with eurobrace mounting, but it seems like there are a fair number of stock or easily available modifications made to existing mounting hardware to support eurobracing. Seems like Radion and others didn't want to exclude their giant tank customers that might be in the market for a bakers dozen of lights.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back