Reefi uno 2.0 Pro or Reefbreeders photon 50 V2 Pro??

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess how is the app vs each other, can they be controlled on the road away from home?
Can you hang a light bar on either with the mounting options they offer? I think performance wise they are probably pretty equal as far as performance, par, coral growth, and looks go.
I have 3 Reefi’s with 120 degree lenses along with a 4 bulb hybrid T5 over my IM 200EXT and love the combo. You could probably get away with 3 lights in the beginning and as the SPS grow in add a 4th to reduce shadowing. I bought some 80/20 rails and mounted them directly to the stand and hung the lights off of that.

Attachments

• IMG_3271.jpeg
    IMG_3271.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3273.jpeg
    IMG_3273.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
tankreefer

tankreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that look @ShoreReefer. Do you have a link to the mounting kit you bought? I’m getting the IM ext 170, so it has to be a wall mount or ceiling. I’m really leaving towards the Reefi at this point since the photon 50’s are discontinued.

With the reefi, what’s everyone’s thoughts on the best LED light bars to go with it? Would like the T5 fill ability with the bars and add some nice extra little PAR. There seems to be so many options out there now. Cheers

OP
OP
tankreefer

tankreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious why you would be wanting to mess with the lights this much ie on the road/ away from home control . Stability is key with sps lighting changes are honestly their worst attribute. once led is the light source it seems the water quality is more of a factor than the light itself like with T5 which is super forgiving but the water needs to be dialed running any led driven sps system, with that being said either light will do great they all work I’m running a G4pro and have a mitras in the closet (I like the mitras better) had g5 blues , really want to run the new Stratton pros and or the Dalua 4x
I’m on the road at lot and I would like full control of everything from my phone if needed. Don’t think my wife will know or want to mess with anything. So trying to automate what I can and as much as possible.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that look @ShoreReefer. Do you have a link to the mounting kit you bought? I’m getting the IM ext 170, so it has to be a wall mount or ceiling. I’m really leaving towards the Reefi at this point since the photon 50’s are discontinued.

With the reefi, what’s everyone’s thoughts on the best LED light bars to go with it? Would like the T5 fill ability with the bars and add some nice extra little PAR. There seems to be so many options out there now. Cheers
So on a 60x30 id def be running 4 reefis staggered. Alternatively you could do 3 with 2 strong light bars. I have a 72"x18" 125 and i have a lightbar, 3 reefis, and 2 xr30s.

Reefis throw down par. The spectrum can grow and color coral. The issue is they are a smaller form factor and you willl have shading issues. With just three, in an SPS tank, i can gaurantee you that as a huge reefi fan.

The quanta helix lightbars would be my recommendation on lightbars. I want to trash this god awful reefbrite on my maintank for a helix soon.

Your tank would be perfect for 2 quanta atlas and lightbars. Likely 1500ish all in, with alot more spread and par.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess how is the app vs each other, can they be controlled on the road away from home?
Can you hang a light bar on either with the mounting options they offer? I think performance wise they are probably pretty equal as far as performance, par, coral growth, and looks go.
Are you asking about reefis in this or the other two lights? Reefis just VPN into your home network snd access them whenever, i use tailscale to create the VPN.

OP
OP
tankreefer

tankreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I might do 3 to start then add 1 and add 2 reef bars. Specifically, how’s the app for the reefi, can you control from the road? Also, what’s wrong with the reef brites lol, that XHO was def high up on my list followed by quanta and orphek.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I might do 3 to start then add 1 and add 2 reef bars. Specifically, how’s the app for the reefi, can you control from the road? Also, what’s wrong with the reef brites lol, that XHO was def high up on my list followed by quanta and orphek.
Its spectrum for starters, the burned out UVs... not sure ifnthey have new models or if those samw issues still plague them but no reason to pay more for less IMO.

Reefi is just a webapp. You type in a browser address and manage everything from a very basic UI, with same functionality as mobius. Since its a local address you must be on VPN if youre on the road.

OP
OP
tankreefer

tankreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, which quanta light would you recommend to supplement to reefi light? A couple of the ab+ lights (reef quest daylight)?

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, which quanta light would you recommend to supplement to reefi light? A couple of the ab+ lights (reef quest daylight)?
Typically if i have a full spectrum light, ill use bars for blues only. You could practically run a reef crest and a meso on each side of the reefis and Id bet it look good, but if just two bars theyd be mesos.

At about 10" im seeing 150-200 par from just two helix mesos over a 72x25x16 on the edges.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ordered everything through TNUTZ.com and took the parts list from another user that he created. One thing I do recommend is that if you do attach it to the stand that you put the nuts in the extruded aluminum stand as you putting the stand together. Once you put the stand together and the tank on top you won't be able attach the 72" pieces to the back.
Extra Packaging (Paper + Double cardboard)
1​
QTH-015-1/4-20(QTH-015-1/4-20) 1/4-20 Drop-In Quarter Turn T-Nut with high neck
4​
COMBO-015-A-FL(COMBO-015-A-FL) 15 Series Economy T-Nut & 5/8" lg Flanged Screw
30​
EX-1515-BLACK-24EX-1515-BLACK - 1.5" x 1.5" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion
2​
TH-015T-Slot BLACK Nylon Tool Hanger & Snap Hook - 15 Series / 8mm slot
2​
EC-015-A15 SERIES - BLACK PLASTIC END CAP – BLANK - 1.5'' x 1.5''
2​
JP-015-H6-BLACK(JP-015-H6-BLACK) 15 Series 6 Hole 90° Joining Plate - Black anodize
4​
CB-015-B-BLACK(CB-015-B-BLACK) 15 Series 2 Hole Inside Corner Bracket - Black Anodized
8​
EX-1515-BLACK-72EX-1515-BLACK - 1.5" x 1.5" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion
2​

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I run a photon 48 v2 and prior I ran a photon 48 v1 and a photon 32v1
The photons have always been par and coverage monsters

The v2 is an excellent fixture. I feel zero need or urge to go to the meridian. The meridians are nice and supposed to be an improvement but I don’t think are worth the price compared to a photon v2

Here ya go, photon 50 v2, reconditioned with brand new parts, 2 yr warranty, hanging kit and tank mount kit, $899 each. Two of these and your set and the 1” profile looks sleek floating over a tank, and the panel layout will provide more even coverage than pucks or mini panel fixtures.

Reefi is great also don’t get me wrong. But I would keep it simple, two fixtures, slim sleek profile, silent, completely adjustable spectrum, par to spare, and full tank coverage. They have built in tslot rails if you ever decide you want to add bars. How easy can it get

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back