Struggling with lighting decision

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old tank did not have a center brace and the new one does (3/8 clear glass about 4" wide). This is probably a stupid question, but would that interfere with a 3rd light mounted in the middle?

Sorry - I'm all over the place with this decision still
Not too much if you keep the glass clean. If this is about placing 3 units like reefi or radion, etc then you could always try 2 units at first and add the 3rd on later if you felt it wasnt enough. No bulk deal on 3 units so no need to rush

tpack17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48x25x18. I have 2 Reefi uno 2’s with 120degree reflectors. All lps and they are way turned down. Way too powerful.

Attachments

• IMG_4010.jpeg
    IMG_4010.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 52

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer used fixtures. Reefbrites are nice because they run cooler and are available new. but, when it comes down to it, they have the least faces to the reflector. Not the most efficient design, imo. I forget the name of these fixtures, but they have like 25 faces to the reflector, instead of 2 or 3. That means the light is being bounced back in 20 something different angles angles, great for coverage
1000008731.jpg

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to go with a MH Reefbrite setup (assuming new), I would need:
2 pendants @ $300/ea = $600
2 ballasts @ $220/ea = $440
2 bulbs @ $100/ea = $200
2? LED strips @$100/ea = $200
Total = $1,440

If I have a correct understanding what would be needed, the cost of going with new fixtures would make that a tough pill to swallow. Based on very limited searching for old/used fixtures, seems like I could do it with older fixtures for less than $500 (attached photo is something I saw on FB for $50 nearby). Do the benefits of the modern fixtures justify the added cost or does it make sense to chance a used/older fixture? I know that's probably an impossible question to answer, but curious to hear your thoughts.
There is no need for new fixtures. The most important part of a halide setup are the ballasts IMO, bulbs second. So if you can splurge on some good ballasts and get a secondhand fixture, you will be just fine.

OP
OP
D

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for all the feedback. I spent this weekend building the canopy. It still needs final paint, but the test fit went well. Photos below.

No progress with lights yet. Was hoping to hear more on the helix light since they started shipping, but haven't come across much.

I have been looking more into MH. I actually picked up an old 48" Hamilton MH fixture from FB for $10, but that isn't going to work out for various reasons. I came across these retrofit reflectors but I assume they are no good? https://www.championlighting.com/parabolic_reflector_w_socket.html?category_id=2028

Attachments

• PXL_20241003_005653957.jpg
    PXL_20241003_005653957.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20241003_005716541.jpg
    PXL_20241003_005716541.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 26

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see the 48" you got. A retrofit reflector will work, that one isn't too far from a reefbright reflector. But I would keep looking for a assembled pendant. The housing around the reflector acts as a heat sink. Some are more efficient than others, but any is better than none. That bare reflector will burn your arm on contact, but it will get the job done(heat management required)

OP
OP
D

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here the light. DE type but doesn't have the glass cover. It also vents out the end and there is only 1/2 clearance on the side. I was thinking about mounting the fans on the canopy sides, but I don't think I want to do that.

If I did anything with that fixture I would not run those fans. So loud. I have a pair of dc fans and controller I could swap them with but don't know if they would move enough air

Attachments

• PXL_20241003_014734881.jpg
    PXL_20241003_014734881.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
D

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don't have ballasts for the light.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don't have ballasts for the light.
Yea that looks like an an oldie. Flat reflector. Is that compact fluorescent mounts in there?
Better off finding something different...
Believe the old ones used acrylic "uv absorbing" shields.
most plastics cut nm's around 390-ish..

OP
OP
D

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a different 48" Hamilton MH system with t5s and ballasts. Definitely a more shapely reflector on this one. Everything seems to work. However, I have to admit I'm having second thoughts. Everything is so big, heavy, and loud lol. My main concern is wiring. I was hesitant on the Helix bars because I'd need to wire 5 separately. This thing still has 5 wires - large wires. Ideally, I would want to run a power strip up to the canopy and plug/everything in and mount the ballast in there, but from what I've read it will get too hot. Is that right?

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't put the ballasts in canopy or stand, some get hotter than others- all produce heat. Stuff the big ugly fixture in the canopy, hidden from view, enjoy the light they produce

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're serious about metal halides, at this point I would go Quanta Atlas. A LOT less heat involved, 2 cables to run, 0-10v control, etc... Seems a no brainer.

I still say that from the looks of your canopy, the 5 bar Helix would be way more than enough, easy to mount, etc. There isn't any feedback yet because they just started shipping the bars this week. I will say, the Quanta Pro bars had great reviews, and these are "better" from both a spectrum and a control standpoint. I'm ordering a pair to run as fill lights on my tank.

OP
OP
D

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're serious about metal halides, at this point I would go Quanta Atlas. A LOT less heat involved, 2 cables to run, 0-10v control, etc... Seems a no brainer.

I still say that from the looks of your canopy, the 5 bar Helix would be way more than enough, easy to mount, etc. There isn't any feedback yet because they just started shipping the bars this week. I will say, the Quanta Pro bars had great reviews, and these are "better" from both a spectrum and a control standpoint. I'm ordering a pair to run as fill lights on my tank.
I'm not really serious about anything (I guess that's why I've been struggling with it). I'm just exploring options to make the best decision I can. The MH suggestion seemed interesting to me because I didn't realize that was still an option. Now that I've been looking into it and reading some of the MH vs ___ arguments, it seemed even more interesting (just for personal experience - not to weigh in on those arguments).

I had decided I would not go down the MH path if it was going to cost alot upfront, but stayed open to looking for something used. I'm only $90 in and seem to have a working light, which was a nice surprise. Still, I won't use it if it doesn't make sense. I'm still figuring that part out. I have had it on for a couple hours (not on the tank) to see get a better understanding of the heat.

I appreciate your comments on the Quanta lights. I will likely go the Helix route if I don't use this thing.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really serious about anything (I guess that's why I've been struggling with it). I'm just exploring options to make the best decision I can. The MH suggestion seemed interesting to me because I didn't realize that was still an option. Now that I've been looking into it and reading some of the MH vs ___ arguments, it seemed even more interesting (just for personal experience - not to weigh in on those arguments).

I had decided I would not go down the MH path if it was going to cost alot upfront, but stayed open to looking for something used. I'm only $90 in and seem to have a working light, which was a nice surprise. Still, I won't use it if it doesn't make sense. I'm still figuring that part out. I have had it on for a couple hours (not on the tank) to see get a better understanding of the heat.

I appreciate your comments on the Quanta lights. I will likely go the Helix route if I don't use this thing.
I'd use it. $90? Yes sir!

In fact, I would pop that fixture apart and throw away the housing. Mount the reflector(that one or new) on some standoff's, mount the rest of the hardware in there. Wire up the balists under the tank or remote location.
Buy all new bulbs(extra indeed).

With T5, just make sure you have the distance correct. I used an old bulb while assembling.

Here is a pic of my canopy mounting T5 inside. My work was throwing them away. The balists are for use in moisture areas.
I lit them up on the basement floor to make sure they worked.

20240412_112145.jpg 20240412_140402.jpg 20240325_172534.jpg

MarieKelvdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you plan on growing? If SPS or anything light loving corals I would say 2x Reefi UNO’s/ or Quanta Atlas and 2 Helix bars for fill against shadowing. That’s what I’m doing.
AA604AE5-BDFD-4038-B2C7-65EEF14DC224.jpeg
Did you go two meso or meso and reef creast? Debating fill light on my hydras.

jonelder68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you go two meso or meso and reef creast? Debating fill light on my hydras.
Both quanta’s are reef crest. Will turn them on for day time peak hours. Use the Reefi UNO’s for ramping up and down. Luca (owner of Quanta) suggested reef crest spectrum to help balance out the Reefi’s as they’re strong in violet spectrum. All comes down to what look you want. I wanted a more natural spectrum for day light peak period vs the “windex blue”

OP
OP
D

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally finished the canopy and got lights up and running. Thanks for everyones input!

Attachments

• PXL_20241015_181540061.jpg
    PXL_20241015_181540061.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 20

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back