Reef octopus 300sss or Nyos quantum 300 skimmer?

Ecotech Marine

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my moderately stocked 450 gallon system is in need of a new skimmer. Was running a skims monster sm251 but the pump just dies and been obsolete for awhile now. So now I’m looking at one of these 2 skimmers the reef octopus I feel I like because it’s more popular and most would choose this because it’s been around longer and more known then the nyos skimmer. Now I like the nyos skimmer because it has 2 pumps just like my skimz did and I liked how well my skimz worked with the 2 pumps. Both are rated for about same size tanks how can the reef octopus do this with only 1 pump compaired to the nyos with 2. Both skimmers are about same price little over 1,000$ but price is not an issue. I do use an apex so reef octopus can connect to it but nyos does not only can be turned on and off. Well either way I’d love to hear others opinions. Thanks

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ran a nyos for a while and upgraded to an aquamaxx.

Nyos worked well but I felt it was rated too high for how it actually performed and was left wanted a larger Skimmer.

Love the Aquamaxx as it's a workhourse and out performs the nyos for at the same size rating.

When we started our 8'x 4' lagoon we went with a reef octo 300 and it's my favorite...it just works like crazy.

However it is limited to an old-school design.

Between the 2, for the size your looking at I'd go reef octo 300 for pure workhorse.

But if ypu want to add ozone and other things to your Skimmer, the nyos is an easier option for that.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Trizz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
depends on the build are you going to run a int or Ext, i like Ext reef oct recirculating better bang for the buck.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing few search’s my issue with nyos is again trying g to get replacement parts. It has 2 pumps and I can’t find where to buy needle wheel let alone a whole new pump if needed and we all know it will be needed

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FM
Back