Red Sea Tank Fails, AGAIN! Any Recommendations?

BRS

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The days of "likes" equating to actually supporting or using a product are gone, I think. People love contests and raffles and it seens the norm is tying entry to "liking" social pages these days.

Avast

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The days of "likes" equating to actually supporting or using a product are gone, I think. People love contests and raffles and it seens the norm is tying entry to "liking" social pages these days.
I think you're possibly incorrect - though of course one can't tell exactly, the fact that RedSea has by far the highest number of followers and likes suggest to me that there is not a groundswell of dissatisfaction with their products. It also explains perhaps why the biggest number of problems seems to concern RedSea as compared to, for example, some of the others. But - in reality you're correct, it's hard to get 'hard' data. But - I think a lot of the ideas about RedSea are similar to the comments that API tests are much much worse than others. API tests have been shown in at least a couple 'studies' to be equivalent to others - or at least there was no clear winner out of all the testing kits. But - a lot of people use them because they are less expensive.

Back to Redsea - it is much more likely that someone who has a problem with their tank to post on a forum, as compared to the hundreds of people using them without problems. BRS on their website states that: "Red Sea Reefers have really established themselves in recent years as being one of the best premium off-the-shelf tanks you can buy. Almost every major city will have some location in which you can go see one of the tanks in person. We have well over a handful of these tanks here at the BRS headquarters including the E170 lab and ULM tanks, an XXL750 in the lobby that we worked on with World Wide Coralsand the E260 that is a frequent back drop for our videos." "From our experience, most owners are impressed with the quality and are happy with the results." (yes - I know they want to sell tanks)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why is it we're not going to be seeing any Cade breaks, or waterbox breaks this week, only red sea
how can that predictability by whittled down to insignificant

there's no way to avoid the fact this is a big deal trend, and that lots of breaks are coming in may.

Top Shelf Aquatics

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the #1 group of readers who don't buy into MN's defensive logic/pro red sea are the split seam owners filing insurance claims for their home damage. I would expect that defense/downplaying of seam break risk undisclosed to them, even with a five year tracking thread running, seems bananas

they'll likely be thinking: ya'll knew of this for five running years, but I couldn't find out until 200+ gallons was on my floor?

there are plenty of gatekeepers who want to hide behind product brand loyalty and insignificant % risk ratio numbers, anything other than a fair and proper warning from the magazines and blogs about the matter.

this is the most correlated group of seam splits any brand in reefing has ever encountered that Ive seen in forums. at least if oceanic tanks failed it was spread out, unable to be collated in giant sixty page threads all grouped around 2-3 production years.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - IMHO you don't. They sell thousands of tanks. If 3 break their seams - thats ok. And if per chance the stand is not leveled/put together correctly thats something else. I have 2 redsea that are 5+ years old - with no problem.
I think many of you are grossly overestimating the sales volume of products in this hobby by many magnitudes, let alone per vendor sales of something like 150+ gallon aquariums.

The hobby is not that large to begin with when you take away consumable and livestock sales, etc. Durable goods sales are small, many of which are used for a short time and sit dry as people exit the hobby but can't recoup an investment on sale. Further segment durable goods sales in to aquariums, and then into LARGE aquariums above 100 gallons and then divide that by the number of vendors. The sales numbers are almost meaningless and any pattern of failure reports is extremely significant.

I don't know a thing about RS tanks and have no care one way or the other, but they reported failures are more than a statistical anomaly or exposure bias.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the most correlated group of seam splits any brand in reefing has ever encountered that Ive seen in forums. at least if oceanic tanks failed it was spread out, unable to be collated in giant sixty page threads all grouped around 2-3 production years.
If memory serves me right, Oceanic went out of business due to large tank seam failures...

Avast

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the failure rate is less the 1% in my opinion with the tens of thousands of units out there over the years so other issues may contribute as you indicated.

I am no expert but one big thing I learned in my marketing classes in college: People are more likely to leave a bad review than a good one. I am not saying there isn't a problem, but the numbers get drastically skewed because of this. You have to think about how many Red Sea tanks there are in the world and how many are having these problems, like you said is very small.

Top Shelf Aquatics

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my reef forum login history for trend spotting:

reefcentral, nano-reef.com and reefs.org 2002-2014, with nr. com still going/present with daily reads

reef2reef 2014-now

I never, ever saw oceanic get this degree of posts and just like today: if anyone's tanks were splitting in unison, they'd have posted on the boards. boards were even more popular back then than they are now. I have never seen this grouping occur until now, with red sea, although I agree all tank brands can/will fail at one point. never seen so many at the 2-3 year mark like today. I have never myself seen an oceanic seam split post in 23 years, but I can see per threads there have been some. not as a grouped trend

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but one big thing I learned in my marketing classes in college: People are more likely to leave a bad review than a good one. I am not saying there isn't a problem, but the numbers get drastically skewed because of this. You have to think about how many Red Sea tanks there are in the world and how many are having these problems, like you said is very small.
Again - there are not as many tanks out there as you would think, so any failure reports are significant and when those failure reports follow a pattern, they are more significant.

330Bob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I have an emergency and cannot really believe this is happening to me again. Back in 2019 I purchased what I thought was a wonderful tank! Everything was going great with my Red Sea 525 XL until it started leaking from one of the sides in 2020. Of course, I lost livestock and suffered some damages caused by the water. After reaching out, Red Sea agreed to change my tank and sent me a “new one“ under the limited warranty. Fast forward to last Friday 4/21/23 at 4:00 AM and my tank was leaking AGAIN! This time, the leak was from the bottom and the tank dumped all the water out in less than 2 minutes. I was able to save all my fish and transfer them to the sump. The corals I had were then placed in a small Waterbox tank. This is the second time in less thank 5 years that my tank fails on me. I do not scrape the edge, I do not go crazy cleaning, my stand and tank are perfectly leveled, etc. My questions are:

Is this a common issue with this tanks? I see tons of posts and a local guy told me the brand is prone to issues with the side and bottom silicone.

What brand do you guys recommend? I am between Innovative Marine and WaterBox, but I am open to suggestions.

Thank you!
Sorry about that. I'd had a few issues 20 years back running glass tanks and it was usually the stands fault. I That stand has to be dead level where the tank sits and they can shift if your floor is not level. Use to ad high density foam on the bottom of the tank to sort of help with any imperfections.

Check that stand of yours, if the tank is fine but the stand is off it will shift the glass and can break the silicon.

So you had to send a 110 gallon tank in the mail back to them they re silicon send it back you put it on the stand and it leaks again? Just wanted to make sure I understand.

I would go with a custom Acrylic tank. I would use a company that does large commercial projects like ATM use to.

Top Shelf Aquatics

danielankeny

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I have an emergency and cannot really believe this is happening to me again. Back in 2019 I purchased what I thought was a wonderful tank! Everything was going great with my Red Sea 525 XL until it started leaking from one of the sides in 2020. Of course, I lost livestock and suffered some damages caused by the water. After reaching out, Red Sea agreed to change my tank and sent me a “new one“ under the limited warranty. Fast forward to last Friday 4/21/23 at 4:00 AM and my tank was leaking AGAIN! This time, the leak was from the bottom and the tank dumped all the water out in less than 2 minutes. I was able to save all my fish and transfer them to the sump. The corals I had were then placed in a small Waterbox tank. This is the second time in less thank 5 years that my tank fails on me. I do not scrape the edge, I do not go crazy cleaning, my stand and tank are perfectly leveled, etc. My questions are:

Is this a common issue with this tanks? I see tons of posts and a local guy told me the brand is prone to issues with the side and bottom silicone.

What brand do you guys recommend? I am between Innovative Marine and WaterBox, but I am open to suggestions.

Thank you!
I like my fiji cube but I do question myself for purchasing a rimless tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If memory serves me right, Oceanic went out of business due to large tank seam failures...
And Marineland no longer sells large tanks. Because - there were many many reports of problems with leakage, etc.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again - there are not as many tanks out there as you would think, so any failure reports are significant and when those failure reports follow a pattern, they are more significant.
Just as I said, it's impossible to know the sales numbers or the percentage of breakages. There are 800,000 salt water aquarists in the US - and 2 million world-wide. RedSea acknowledged that a couple of their larger tanks had an issue - and they provided a brace. Other than those types of tanks - I'm not aware that other tanks don't have more or less problems. Most people with no problems don't post 'Today my tank is doing great'. That said - of course I have deep sympathy for anyone thats had a huge mess/lost coral/fish/etc. There is another thread out there with a list of people who had significant problems with another brand of tank. when I buy a tank - I assume - that some day - it may very well leak. I've had one experience with this - with another manufacturer. when a fish knocked a piece of rock and it made a small crack/leak in the bottom glass - of course this rapidly became a big mess.

330Bob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my fiji cube but I do question myself for purchasing a rimless tank
Big different between 20,40 and 110 gallon tank. The larger you go the more weight = the precise and strong a stand must be.

None of my 16 ounce acrylic cups has ever leaked but down my throat :)

I think your Figi will hold up fine.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Marineland no longer sells large tanks. Because - there were many many reports of problems with leakage, etc.
I think it has more to do with their major distributors (petsmart, petco, pet supplies plug) not selling tanks that large for insurance reasons.

CLICK TO VIEW

OU812Reefing

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!
Look in to a Proclear ProStar

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has more to do with their major distributors (petsmart, petco, pet supplies plug) not selling tanks that large for insurance reasons.
Right - because they were flooding people's houses - at least that was the reason I was told when I was out to buy a new tank 5 or so years ago

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back