Red Sea REEFER 200XL G2+ Mixed Reef Build

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

I've recently decided to pull the trigger on a Red Sea REEFER 200XL (I had to get this due to space restrictions), and I've also decided to document the entire journey. The ups, downs, good, and ugly.

I first started the hobby with a JBJ 20 gallon, then upgraded to a 110, and eventually downgraded to the 200XL after moving.

I've never kept a true "mixed reef," for the majority of my time in the hobby I've kept SPS dominant tanks, so this will be very interesting.

To start, I picked up about 60 pounds of marco rock and made some rubble pieces to make the aquascape.

I'd love to see some inspiration for a cube, since I am limited on space!

Marco Rock.jpg Rubble.jpg

OP
OP
JustinP.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your stocking plans? I just started up this same system. I love it so far.
I really wanted to have more of a wrasse tank, ever since I bought my first melanrus wrasse when I just got started, they just grew on me. Plus I can't keep a tang in there lol, but here is a list of things that I would like to put in there (I wont be able to get them all due to the limited space haha):

- Blue Spot Jaw Fish
- Emperor Pistol Shrimp
- Melanarus Wrasse
- Blue Head Fairy Wrasse
- Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse
- Rhomboid Wrasse
- Leopard Wrasse (I haven't decided which one)
- Blotchy Anthias

I think I can find some of the smaller guys and then be able to trade them out after they start to get bigger.

How about your tank? Any livestock plans?

OP
OP
JustinP.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 9/29/2024:

As of now I have the tank setup and in position! I was able to add the Hydros Launch and XP8 for control, and my Sicce SDC 3.0 return pump. I do need to figure out if I'm going to use 2 mp10s or an mp10 and an orbit 2 + nero 3 combination.

For the rock structure I decided to make 2 islands. 1 would be a mini island infront of the main scape, and the main scape which helps fill the back side of the tank! It only took 2 days to figure out how to build it lol, but the mini island is finished, and the main structure is about 60% done.

Attachments

• 20240929_200248.jpg
    20240929_200248.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240929_200239.jpg
    20240929_200239.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240929_200233.jpg
    20240929_200233.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240928_214830.jpg
    20240928_214830.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 50

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 9/29/2024:

As of now I have the tank setup and in position! I was able to add the Hydros Launch and XP8 for control, and my Sicce SDC 3.0 return pump. I do need to figure out if I'm going to use 2 mp10s or an mp10 and an orbit 2 + nero 3 combination.

For the rock structure I decided to make 2 islands. 1 would be a mini island infront of the main scape, and the main scape which helps fill the back side of the tank! It only took 2 days to figure out how to build it lol, but the mini island is finished, and the main structure is about 60% done.
All you need now is a roller filter, protein skimmer, and Inkbird 2 heaters controller, and you will be all set for some time, let the XP8 control the Inkbird, that’s what I do.

Attachments

• Sump ready.jpg
    Sump ready.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
JustinP.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need now is a roller filter, protein skimmer, and Inkbird 2 heaters controller, and you will be all set for some time, let the XP8 control the Inkbird, that’s what I do.
Yeah I was going to get the reefmat 500 for now to see how it performs since I like to feed heavy. Then later on if nutrients keep creeping up and pH is low, I can go get a skimmer.

OP
OP
JustinP.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 9/30/2024: Aquascape
1000105833.jpg
1000105830.jpg
1000105832.jpg
1000105831.jpg

(Please disregard the mess in the background lol its been a journey fighting with the scape haha)

I believe that I'm at the 90% mark with this scape. I can't really imagine any other branches or pieces of rock for this scape.

I really liked how both islands came together and I'm excited to see what they look like together in the sand. They were made to create a nice valley between them for the fish to swim through and have more of an open feel to it.

Once I get the final pieces of equipment and do wire management then I can finally add sand and water to kick off the cycle.

1000105833.jpg

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000105833.jpg
1000105830.jpg
1000105832.jpg
1000105831.jpg

(Please disregard the mess in the background lol its been a journey fighting with the scape haha)

I believe that I'm at the 90% mark with this scape. I can't really imagine any other branches or pieces of rock for this scape.

I really liked how both islands came together and I'm excited to see what they look like together in the sand. They were made to create a nice valley between them for the fish to swim through and have more of an open feel to it.

Once I get the final pieces of equipment and do wire management then I can finally add sand and water to kick off the cycle.

1000105833.jpg
That’s really sick. Was initially wanting to go with something along those lines, but ended up with something else. I wish I could re-do my scape… ugh.

OP
OP
JustinP.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really sick. Was initially wanting to go with something along those lines, but ended up with something else. I wish I could re-do my scape… ugh.
Thank you! I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the scape. You probably won't even see it in a year from now. I do wish I could change a few pieces around, but for the most part, I have more than enough space for sps that I'd like to add and also more than enough space for the LPS that I want to add.

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the scape. You probably won't even see it in a year from now. I do wish I could change a few pieces around, but for the most part, I have more than enough space for sps that I'd like to add and also more than enough space for the LPS that I want to add.
I know, it does change a lot, and rather quickly. There are just some spots that rock is in the way of flow, or my rock is too close to the glass and I can't get a scraper in there. I just wanted something less "full". I liked the layout initially but then I went to put it in the tank and my scape was way too big. Guess I screwed up on my cm to inches conversion :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Your scape is going to grow out pretty awesome tho.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000105833.jpg
1000105830.jpg
1000105832.jpg
1000105831.jpg

1000105833.jpg
Very nice looking aquascape!

OP
OP
JustinP.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 10/1/2024: Finished Aquascape

After working on this scape for days, it's finally complete. It came out perfectly (which is hard for me to say). I spent time ensuring room for swim throughs, areas for specific coral placement, and branches for that fuller look.

Overall im proud of how it came out, and it was my first true aquascape.

Seeing it in the tank allowed me to envision what I wanted in there, exactly where I wanted it to be.

I also tried to hide the glue as much as possible to ensure that it could properly be covered in coralline.

Now onto the final part of the build before we fill it with water: cable management and flow.

1000105972.jpg
1000105971.jpg
1000105970.jpg
1000105969.jpg

OP
OP
JustinP.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, it does change a lot, and rather quickly. There are just some spots that rock is in the way of flow, or my rock is too close to the glass and I can't get a scraper in there. I just wanted something less "full". I liked the layout initially but then I went to put it in the tank and my scape was way too big. Guess I screwed up on my cm to inches conversion :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Your scape is going to grow out pretty awesome tho.
I hear you, I made this mistake with my first tank. However, you could try to shift/rotate the scape to better fit it and create some room.

I did this with my current scape. It needed to be rotated ever so slightly to get the right look and once it was in place, it was where I wanted it to be.

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, I made this mistake with my first tank. However, you could try to shift/rotate the scape to better fit it and create some room.

I did this with my current scape. It needed to be rotated ever so slightly to get the right look and once it was in place, it was where I wanted it to be.
I thought I learned from my previous tank but I guess not… actually my previous tank had a pretty cool scape.

I’ve thought about trying to shift and move, but my rock work is basically one big rock unfortunately. It’s either glued or grouted together. Im just going to live with it. I’m sure it will grow on me once it starts filling out!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back