+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah that is why I am stressing out here. The others seem to be eating great and on occasion I think, not positive but I do think I see something on one and later that week, it is gone. Like my yellow tang, about 10 days ago he clearly had ich, but it has not popped back up on him. I am going to feel like **** if I move them to quarantine and wipe out healthy fish in the process. I am emotionally tied to my critters.
If you think you see something on one, move them over. 30 days goes quick for treatment.
Leave display fishless at 80.5 degrees and add ruby rally pro to display as an insurance policy. You can cut the fallow to 4.5-6 weeks.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to do all but I see your point. Go ahead with the gramma and keep careful watch on all others. It others start showing infections

low light, tiny flow, say 10% WC every day or two should keep ammonia in check.

As you know ick falls off, replicates, then looks for fish.
Some fish seem to more resistant than others.

Some elevate water temp to reduce fallow period to 45ish from 72 ish days.

I have no idea which route we are going to go just yet. When my wife gets done with work today we are going to sit down and make that hard decision. I have had a sinking feeling all day because of this, I am not sure why I am so emotionally invested in this tank, I guess it is the amount of work I have done to get it to this point, not to mention all of the cash.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you see something on one, move them over. 30 days goes quick for treatment.
Leave display fishless at 80.5 degrees and add ruby rally pro to display as an insurance policy. You can cut the fallow to 4.5-6 weeks.

Well yeah, 30 days is not long. But the display has to remain fishless for way longer correct? I remember reading that was 11 weeks.

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well yeah, 30 days is not long. But the display has to remain fishless for way longer correct? I remember reading that was 11 weeks.
6-8 weeks

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-8 weeks
Well hell 2 months, I can make that go by quick. I am really contemplating clearing out some things in our study and setting up a low boy for frags, which can double as a quarantine for new inverts and coral. If no more than one fish die from this, I would be comfortable never, ever getting another fish. I mean that would basically keep any and all things like ich away correct? If one fish dies, I will be sad but in the long run we are currently fish heavy so tiny silver lining.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We captured them all, had to take the majority of the rock and corals out. You know how it is, no matter how well you label them you never get them turned back quite the same way. The gramma pitched himself between two pieces of PVC but the other fish are swimming around like nothing ever happened.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch ammonia. It can be a killer in quarantine. Petco sells biospira to help with the cycle and it actually works pretty well but copper can suppress the biological filtration.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch ammonia. It can be a killer in quarantine. Petco sells biospira to help with the cycle and it actually works pretty well but copper can suppress the biological filtration.

Well we have the Hannah ammonia tester, plus I picked up ammonia badges to stick on the inside.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am useless but for sympathy. Ich wiped out all my fish a couple months ago. I am almost done with fallow.

Hang in there.

Hanging! Ultimately we have done what we can, so our guilt will not be an issue. We did what we can, we spared no expense on the cash, we did it as a couple and we complement each other well on our strengths. Not saying we will not be sad if we lose fish, but we are in this for the long run. We will not give up, that is not an option.

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Red Sea e-250 for around 2 years now, pretty heavy fish population but they have been extremely healthy until March 18. Around that date the seam busted on the tank, because of the situation of having to dismantle the tank, you can imagine the fish really got rattled around. Everything seemed fine after the move but around a week later the Royal Gramma, I thought I saw something on him and I was right. I also noticed he began flashing against the rock. My best guess it was ich. I waited and watched and whatever it was seemed to come and go, I was trying to approach it as it could go away on it's on and around that time I added a hefty UV light. Some days he looks okay, others days it is worse. Up until this week the other fish seem unaffected but just yesterday I think I see ich on the 6-line and a smaller clown fish. The tail on the gramma is looking more ratty now. We were hoping to get live food in and supplement their diet but there is just no way I can do that in time. We also purchased a fish trap but low and behold the gramma is the one fish that will not get in the trap.

I was trying to avoid spending even more money, this tank busting cost me 4k but I think I am just going to have to do it. I am beyond annoyed at Red Sea right now, my tank was gorgeous and beyond having to start over now my fish are sick. What I could do is lay down some pink foam on the floor and my thought was to purchase two 40 gallon breeders from Petco, my tank purchase options are limited today. If I do this what do you do for biological means during this? Add dead rock or nothing? I have powerheads and air pumps to move water and I can pickup another heater. Skimmers needed?

I am at my wits end, this blows chunks. Oh and I have yet to get a picture of the gramma until just now, I caught him sleeping and this is the worse I have seen this disease on him. And all the fish including him are eating fine. The others are showing no distress.

Fish tally...

2 clown fish
6 line
Yellow watchman
Yellow Tang (no, I did not buy him, came with the Red Sea)
Royal Gramma
Azure Damsel

View attachment 3119827 View attachment 3119828
That sucks snoop, I'm sorry man. You've had a bad run lately. I have a bunch of medications and stuff for running QT tanks. Let me know if you need anything.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks snoop, I'm sorry man. You've had a bad run lately. I have a bunch of medications and stuff for running QT tanks. Let me know if you need anything.

So far we are good, this has been expensive but I knew when I got started it could go that way. Ultimately we will not give up, far from it.

We got this. We are even kicking around the idea of setting up a lowboy in another room that will double as a quarantine for invertebrates and frags we are bringing inn.

Nutramar Foods

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far we are good, this has been expensive but I knew when I got started it could go that way. Ultimately we will not give up, far from it.

We got this. We are even kicking around the idea of setting up a lowboy in another room that will double as a quarantine for invertebrates and frags we are bringing inn.
That's a good idea. Turn this into a positive and start the West Mobile Coral Farm.

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have too much time, money and energy to go any other way. What good would it do to take all this knowledge and quit?
Well you know, instead of creating reef problems for yourself, you could come over and help me figure out my problems!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So day two now. One clown is eating, the other is not. Goby is hiding, no idea what he is doing. Tang that was acting fine yesterday, and never had ich is not eating since in the copper. He is definitely breathing faster, hanging out at the top more and his mouth is open. He never showed any signs of ich, so this appears to be the copper. The only fish showing any interest in food is the 6 line. The gramma still shows ich, not eating and just hiding out at the bottom right now. Ammonia tag is still showing zero.

Temp 79 or so
Ammonia still showing low
salt around 1.024

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back