Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember there's a lot of ways to do this. No right way.

Some things I buy new, some things I diy, some things I modify.

You have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze
I honestly have so many woodworking tools and do so much woodworking stuff that I am probably just being lazy not building my own stand :|

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have so many woodworking tools and do so much woodworking stuff that I am probably just being lazy not building my own stand :|
I'm a woodworker. If you are too, there's No reason to buy a stand or a sump if you want to keep the price lower.

You can cut, route and install the acrylic on a tank for a sump in under an hour. Save yourself 500 bucks vs the equal size trigger sump.

Using kiln dried dimensional lumber skinned with cabinet grade ply, hardwood doors and blum hardware, you'll still be into it $5-600 under buying an equivalent stand.

I also Completely get not wanting to start more projects. I get there too

twentyleagues

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm terrible at building things that look great. They look ok and they work. I might as well have 0 wood working tools for what they are but I get by. Stands are so expensive. If you can make one that works and looks great cheaper why not? You'll not only have a stand at a lower cost but as people are oggling your tank you have bragging rights to the stand as well. I have a fish room (yeah I'm lucky....and single) but when people come over they are always saying "wow this is awesome!" To me it looks like garbage but I know what awesome looks like. I just can't do awesome.

OP
OP
vittpsu21

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a woodworker. If you are too, there's No reason to buy a stand or a sump if you want to keep the price lower.

You can cut, route and install the acrylic on a tank for a sump in under an hour. Save yourself 500 bucks vs the equal size trigger sump.

Using kiln dried dimensional lumber skinned with cabinet grade ply, hardwood doors and blum hardware, you'll still be into it $5-600 under buying an equivalent stand.

I also Completely get not wanting to start more projects. I get there too
Yeah I just redid our whole kitchen, made all the cabinets, so as you said you are a woodworker then you get it. The thought of doing more really makes me want to die inside but honestly the savings is probably huge and I have every tool needed already so really all I am spending on is paint and mats.... ugh I think you just made me realize I have to build it

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just redid our whole kitchen, made all the cabinets, so as you said you are a woodworker then you get it. The thought of doing more really makes me want to die inside but honestly the savings is probably huge and I have every tool needed already so really all I am spending on is paint and mats.... ugh I think you just made me realize I have to build it
There. It's settled. I'll be sending you the bill for my consultation services.

A dimensional stand can be a weekend, and done.

Post in thread 'Sauced and Confused (Lost Remix)' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sauced-and-confused-lost-remix.947219/post-10756337

you can also build your light canopy.

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely been there! I was a furniture maker previously. I still enjoy the occasional hand tool project, but a never ending supply of obligation projects zaps the desire to add more for sure. I ended up welding a steel stand for my tank, saved money and mixed things up a bit.

If budget is a concern, making the stand and sump is an easy way to save significant money. Especially if you already have the skills and materials.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
vittpsu21

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the canopy gives me the options of other lights too because of the vent above in the ceiling
You can make it however you want, then modify it when you realize how badly you placed the lights initially, or maybe that's just me ..

Genvid

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RedSea Reefer 350 90 gal, Apex, MP40,2 RADION XR30 PRO G5, changed to KESSIL AP9X (2), SKIMMER NOYOS, TRIDENT, DOSER4, REFMAT, and many others, give birth, etc. all bought new, long time ago for 10000, I use APEX only because of TRIDENT, I am very satisfied, but still tests HANNA and salifert every week, if I started first, I would go along the path of buying used ones, and the biggest mistake was a dry stone, torment for a year and a half until the tank worked. If I had carefully read the necessary topics and assemblies, I would have saved more than half. Read a wonderful site more and you will understand what is right for you, just time, time is money, in my case more than half was spent incorrectly. And believe me, my tank was super popped.

AquaCave Logo Banner

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You realize that you can Just as easily, bust up ocean live rock and build any scape you want with it, ya? The methods are slightly different but one doesn't preclude the other.

I chunk up live rock all the time. It's way easier to get the pieces you want, than with Marco crap cement.
Should have clarified, the way I tend to scape involves a lot of experimentation and repositioning before supergluing and epoxying. I usually take a few days to get it all situated. Doing this while keeping the rock moist would be tough for me and my living situation, so much easier to use dry rock. Could definitely do the same with live rock, but. . . not for me.

Also I like the manufactured flat bottoms for my bare bottom tanks. . .

Plus I love that sweet instant purple look!!!

Not that I am some sort of aquascaping master haha just enjoy the process, kinda like making art or something.

That said, Lost in the Sauce is correct, depending on how you plan to aquascape/what look you are going for, there are no disadvantages to using live rock over dry.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Rijodan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old adage of $100 per gallon should give you a rough estimate. Understand though that that figure can be less if you look for deals on used gear, or conversely, easily double (or triple) if you go top of the line with everything.

Pro tip: expensive does not always equal "best", and inexpensive does not always equal "cheap". Happy reefing!
ive never heard this, nor adhere to this. But it definitely feels that way some times. I think unless youre going way high tech its closer to 10-20 a gallon maybe 30.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never heard this, nor adhere to this. But it definitely feels that way some times. I think unless youre going way high tech its closer to 10-20 a gallon maybe 30.
Nah .. it's way closer to $100, than $20

cpschult

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are okay with used set ups I’d keep my eyes open. Now is the time of season people start selling full set ups for cheap. I picked up a nice tank, lights, apex, wavemaker, dosing pump, stands, a ton of extra stuff for $1500. I made that almost back just selling the lights (after I broke the tank moving into my basement sob).

I’ve never bought a new tank- I have bought a used custom tank *miracles tanks are chefs kiss. Just something else to think about!

AS

Rijodan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I must note is that above where the tank is going there will be a vent for the houses HVAC so no matter what I get it can't be a hanging fixture at all as I can't drill / mount into that area.
this can be cause of concern. some heating sysems will cause ph issues if directed at tank and then ac blowing on the tank in summer, just keep in mind this can cause issues.
may I ask if I plan on this being a long term tank do you still hold the same opinion? I did think about DIY on the sump, but honestly I have enough house projects that with the tank I think I would rather just spend then do that part myself.
highly recomend a made sump, if youre looking at mp40s to start off youve got the money to burn on a good sump. especially if your planning 5,10 year tank.

on the live rock, bare rock decision keep in mind that youve gotta do the live rock scaping while theyre still wet. dry rock while it has its issues gives you infinite amount of time to build the scape you want

Thetankdoctor

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is the real truth about what it's costs....if my wife is reading this it cors about $20....
If she is not it costs about 10x what I think it should cost.
In reality used gear can save money I am redoing my sump on my big tank currently and I'm going to be in about 5k. But it has 2 reef mats and 2 returns and everything I ever wanted...I think....I had to combine 2 sumps to make wahy I wanted.
I am scared to really add up what I have paid for my setups. I even more scared to have my wife find out. Good luck for sure though

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back