Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bob common is labelled ground, close switch and input's voltage (via pullup resistor) is pulled to ground.
I dont know if the ground is isolated or the same as plug ground.
A question for apex, or someone might check with a meter. If plug ground, then the 2 gnd terminals on 2 breakout boxes are at the same ground reference, so a single pole float switch could be used.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use the float connected to Apex 1 to power a relay. The relay can act as the switch input to Apex 2. That way your inputs will be isolated and you can control whatever you like on both systems. Should be pretty simple and clean.
Or just mount 2 floats at the same level. Floats are only $2.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or if you really want to over complicate it for guarenteed 100% isolation/redundancy. .. use 2 float switches, wired in parallel, to activate 2 relays . One for each apex, to close the i/o input. A separate power supply would power the relays via float switch

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole concept appears to be trying to something simple complicated for the sake of making it more complicated than it needs to be.
Can you do this? Yes, there are ways, but why add the complexity?
I am voting for 2 separate float switches, one for each Apex, mounted next to each other at the same level.
Simple, safe, and clean.

BRS
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You could use the float connected to Apex 1 to power a relay. The relay can act as the switch input to Apex 2. That way your inputs will be isolated and you can control whatever you like on both systems. Should be pretty simple and clean.
Or just mount 2 floats at the same level. Floats are only $2.

I am doing that currently as stated in post #9 but was looking for a cleaner solution where I wouldn't loose multiple EB outlets as i need multiple such input combinations between 2 apex controllers.

I've alluded to better solution in post #15 where no EB outlet is used and instead the float switch is used inline with relay solenoid.

@JDCagley had the same idea in post #19 but by post #24 the question changed from If I could do it (split leads without electrical isolation) to whether I should do it.

It was made clear to me that both controllers SHOULD be electrically isolated and so this is exactly what I will do using what I just described with a bank of DPDT relays.

Here is a quick diagram so one can see how the relay works.

1679616142558.png

Hope this helps somebody else down the line too.

JDCagley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing that currently as stated in post #9 but was looking for a cleaner solution where I wouldn't loose multiple EB outlets as i need multiple such input combinations between 2 apex controllers.

I've alluded to better solution in post #15 where no EB outlet is used and instead the float switch is used inline with relay solenoid.

@JDCagley had the same idea in post #19 but by post #24 the question changed from If I could do it (split leads without electrical isolation) to whether I should do it.

It was made clear to me that both controllers SHOULD be electrically isolated and so this is exactly what I will do using what I just described with a bank of DPDT relays.

Here is a quick diagram so one can see how the relay works.

View attachment 3078478

Hope this helps somebody else down the line too.
Yes - and I stated a 4 pole earlier, I see a way to make a 2pole work as well since your input is only seeking Open/Closed. Wire A1-B1 (NO) and A2-B2 back to controller. Once coil is made, A1-B1 are now closed and same for pole. 12v coil relay and done.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This whole concept appears to be trying to something simple complicated for the sake of making it more complicated than it needs to be.
Can you do this? Yes, there are ways, but why add the complexity?
I am voting for 2 separate float switches, one for each Apex, mounted next to each other at the same level.
Simple, safe, and clean.

Couldn't be further from truth.

As stated before, the float switch was just a simple example to explain the concept but the problem is far more complex.

What do you do when you have a set of dry-contacts that notify you that a battery backup or inverter changed from line to battery? Install two battery backups or inverters?

Nutramar Foods

JDCagley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally will be as complicated as it takes when protecting not only thousands of dollars in the tank, but even more on my control system! I did invest in flowlline #DX-10 just to (for now) watch how much water my tank evaporates? Overkill? I don't know - eventually - a perfectly tuned ATO system.

Attachments

• chart.jpeg
    chart.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I did invest in flowlline #DX-10 just to (for now) watch how much water my tank evaporates? Overkill? I don't know - eventually - a perfectly tuned ATO system.

I did look at that for my 80G water container but then LLS (35") came out which was a bit cheaper and easily integrated. Now, looking at the reviews I will probably be unhappy and end up getting the DX-10 - will reach out with questions if/when that happens.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do when you have a set of dry-contacts that notify you that a battery backup or inverter changed from line to battery? Install two battery backups or inverters?

Plug your Apex auxiliary power adapter into the same outlet as your battery backup power.
Enable Apex power monitoring.
Enter this simple code into your Email alarm output.

If Power Apex OFF 002 Then ON

Done. You now get an alert when your Apex head unit looses main power and is now operating on battery power.

JDCagley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did look at that for my 80G water container but then LLS (35") came out which was a bit cheaper and easily integrated. Now, looking at the reviews I will probably be unhappy and end up getting the DX-10 - will reach out with questions if/when that happens.
It is made for industrial controls systems (DDC/PLC) - outout 0-10VDC or 4-20ma (ddepending on model). Are apex controllers capable of those types of input signals?

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Plug your Apex auxiliary power adapter into the same outlet as your battery backup power.
Enable Apex power monitoring.
Enter this simple code into your Email alarm output.

If Power Apex 002 Then ON

Done. You now get an alert when your Apex head unit looses main power and is now operating on battery power.

Sean,

I appreciate you chiming in and I am sure this will help many down the line but I will quit here because you don't see my system and equipment placement in the house.

Your solution here would work for most people with simple ups etc. These are fine for a PC that can shut down within minutes.

I built a custom solution that eliminated all power bricks and provides multiple redundancies via remotely stored battery banks that i hope will provide days of battery backup to most essential equipment - nearly all all my stuff runs off 24V rail, even apexes will continue to run on 12V long after power is out. I have 4 separate circuits feeding the tank (not because of load but for redundancies), each being monitored. One cannot plug 4-5 power supplies into the apex to monitor each as you suggest.

You can however use this https://amzn.to/3K3xBX1 for each source of power.

My EBs are separated between multiple circuits, via separate GFCI - all just so if something trips I lose small part of the system. All the industrial type modules I used provide feedback of its state via N/O contacts (circuit state, online, on- battery, low battery, replace battery, defective battery, etc, etc, etc.) You can't get any of this from your basic UPS unit that inefficiently up converts back to 120V and runs out of juice in no time.

No way I would allow all of this to be plugged into a single apex either. I have it split between an A2 and a Classic and hence the dilemma that started this thread. I want certain things to be monitored by both.

You will probably say I couldn't cover it all....and yes, you'd be right. But I am covering what I can think of at the moment.

Long story short...

I used to rely on my father to tank sit when we went away I cant do that anymore.

When away from the house I want to just leave it and go. Most tasks will be automated, ATO, AWS, Feeding, etc. but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It is made for industrial controls systems (DDC/PLC) - outout 0-10VDC or 4-20ma (ddepending on model). Are apex controllers capable of those types of input signals?

No they are not.

There are no inputs of this kind on the APEX. I spoke to Terence (before Neptune was sold) about the million possibilities it would open but he wasn't interested. The array of high quality accessories with 0-10 or 4-20mA is just mind blowing....but until somebody starts selling their own why would you allow people to integrate anything from outside the ecosystem. Bah! god forbid you bought your Aquabus cables not from Neptune.

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse my ignorance, always trying to learn, I don't have a apex.. but I thought it had 0-10v inputs..(?) If so why can't any other 0-10v output accessory work? (I understand why the 4-20ma nay not be compatible)

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse my ignorance, always trying to learn, I don't have a apex.. but I thought it had 0-10v inputs..(?) If so why can't any other 0-10v output accessory work? (I understand why the 4-20ma nay not be compatible)
There are 0 to 10 v outputs, 4 i think, that can be used to control lights or pumps that accept a 0 to 10v reference.

BRS

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally run a 1500va APC on a bank of batteries( infinitely expandable in pairs). It gives 2x 12v circuits and one 24v. With 4x 105ah agm car batteries @24v it gives 1 day with lights, 2 without.(plenty of time to hook up generator) hurricane Ian just, end of September, test it with 12 days no power!! Its currently set up for 8 batteries. You can add all the batteries you want. Sounds like you're using more efficient inverters, but the concept is similar. But you want notifications/ reactions with the different levels of backup(and don't mind complicated)? If so, I would say multiple inverters/ banks of batteries Add a relay to each inverter and as they die/shut down and switch to the next, it can trigger the apex for reaction/notification.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back