Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without the specifics of an application im a bit stumped. If your just needing lets say a single float switch to send a n/o or n/c to two different apex's at the same time through a analog input ala 'break out box' on each apex then sure that wont be a problem. You would just split the float wiring and run a set to each apex. With the analog signal you just do your outlet programming to each apex as needed.
I think the concern is connecting the two ports into each other on separate controllers. They will not be electrically isolated if you do that which can cause problems and maybe screw up the controllers

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
....If your just needing lets say a single float switch to send a n/o or n/c to two different apex's at the same time through a analog input ala 'break out box' on each apex then sure that wont be a problem. You would just split the float wiring and run a set to each apex. With the analog signal you just do your outlet programming to each apex as needed.

That's exactly what I am asking.

Question is whether there is anything that would prohibit such setup.

Nutramar Foods

Rowboman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not well versed in Apex’s, but I work on programmable logic controllers for a living and that’s in essence what an APEX is. If done right there’s no reason this couldn’t be done. I’m assuming the float switches have an output, ground, and return signal wire? Is so as long as you split the ground and return it should be fine. DONT hook up the output from both controllers though. Run it off just one. Otherwise you’re doubling the current through that switch and could fry an Apex. Also, this is all theoretical though and I wipe my hands of any responsibility for bad outcomes

Top Shelf Aquatics

Rowboman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not well versed in Apex’s, but I work on programmable logic controllers for a living and that’s in essence what an APEX is. If done right there’s no reason this couldn’t be done. I’m assuming the float switches have an output, ground, and return signal wire? Is so as long as you split the ground and return it should be fine. DONT hook up the output from both controllers though. Run it off just one. Otherwise you’re doubling the current through that switch and could fry an Apex. Also, this is all theoretical though and I wipe my hands of any responsibility for bad outcomes
The main risk I see with this is if there is some sort of major issue with the float switch, say something over its control voltage shorts to it, it would wipe out BOTH Apex’s instead of 1. Outside of completely wiring the switch wrong, this should be very unlikely…. But not impossible

Rowboman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple answer is to use diodes to isolate the controllers from each other
Yup, this would definitely work. I’d also have the output from only one controller feed the switch too. Diodes will prevent back feeding and limiting to one output will keep your current from getting too high

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Float switches are simple reed switches that could be set to either N/O or N/C type contact. There are two wires to it like any other simple switch.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yup, this would definitely work. I’d also have the output from only one controller feed the switch too. Diodes will prevent back feeding and limiting to one output will keep your current from getting too high

There is no output per say with apex (outside the 120V outlets via EB). We are talking INPUT only in above discussion.

AquaCave Logo Banner
Nutramar Foods

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no power involved its a simple contact, think dry contact.
There is power from one of the leads on the controller, the flow switch simply completes the circuit which tells the controller to take an action. There is no power external to the controller though

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solution is the same. Use 2 diodes, one for each controller, so that "power" can only flow out of the switch
Diodes would work, but would there be any concerns to running both commons back? You can keep one controller from feeding to the positive of the other controller, but not the negative.

PS sorry if I got my electron flow theory and conventional theory reversed on terminology, low voltage is not normally my thing :grimacing-face:

Nutramar Foods

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be a bit rusty, but I believe it to be similar to rectifying ac into dc. The real question is whether the apex uses voltage or ground as the trigger. Voltage= no problem, diodes will isolate. Ground and I'm less sure. I believe it will pass through. However, a input that senses ground, has no ground to give(or send back into circuit). A 0-10v input obviously uses power, can anybody verify what the i/o input uses?

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back