Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Simple question. Can I use a single float switch on 2 separate apexes.

Float switch uses a simple reed switch to close (or open) a circuit but I want to make sure there would be no interference between I/O ports on different apexes and or modules.

AS
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
So you'd have this connected to two different Apex controllers? Is this an Apex component or something you're implementing through one of the 24v ports?

No, simple float switch connected to IO-01 on 2 separate APEX controllers.

I want to make sure they'd be nothing electrical happening between the controllers or a PMx and a controller.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I understand that it would be easier to just connect 2 float switches and that would add additional clutter of both multiple additional float switches as well as extra wires.

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that it would be easier to just connect 2 float switches and that would add additional clutter of both multiple additional float switches as well as extra wires.
I'm also going to go with maybe. +1

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm also going to go with maybe. +1

That's where I am at, but with maybe there is too much at risk to try it out.

I do have a few classics that perhaps I can test it with in the near future but I figured asking a question would have been both easier and quicker.

I have so far gotten around this limitation by sticking a small power supply in an EB outlet which triggers a relay that controls the other apex's Input port.

But that occupies an outlet, more wires, more relays....so not clean at all. And if you need few things to share between 2 controllers you'll quickly lose all outlets on an EB4 or 2

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I am at, but with maybe there is too much at risk to try it out.

I do have a few classics that perhaps I can test it with in the near future but I figured asking a question would have been both easier and quicker.

I have so far gotten around this limitation by sticking a small power supply in an EB outlet which triggers a relay that controls the other apex's Input port.

But that occupies an outlet, more wires, more relays....so not clean at all. And if you need few things to share between 2 controllers you'll quickly lose all outlets on an EB4 or 2
I guess I don't understand why you need to share it between two Apex systems.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I guess I don't understand why you need to share it between two Apex systems.

Willing to explain.... with another/different example.

Say you have a float switch that would alert you when the sump overfills.

That APEX goes dead, no email, no alarm - nothing!

If you connected the same float switch to 2 different controllers, if one suffered catastrophic failure the other one would still trigger an alarm and an email.

Hope I simplified it.

P.S. In the above scenario, my work-around mentioned above would not even work if the 'primary' controllers crapped out ..... we're talking APEX after all.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
In this example (dual redundancy), you'd want two float switches in case a float switch failed.

Yes and I am all about redundancies....I mentioned that in post #5, but there are other uses where a physical momentary switch triggers different functions on either controller (post #8).

As I am typing this I guess I can find a 2-pole momentary switch to cover the latter scenario.... but yet there are other scenarios where I'd still need to split my leads from a device that's N/O and switched to closed when there is a problem so the original question stands.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You should probably set a separate relay to do that. You might could find a float switch with 2 sets of NO contacts in it that would work fine as well

hmm, never seen 2-pole floats.... but at this point I already invested in a bunch of float switches that I can't send back.

The relay approach, yes a possibility (even without loosing an outlet on the EB) but still more complex than simply splitting leads.

AS

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, never seen 2-pole floats.... but at this point I already invested in a bunch of float switches that I can't send back.

The relay approach, yes a possibility (even without loosing an outlet on the EB) but still more complex than simply splitting leads.
Yeah, I’m in an electrical apprenticeship and we are currently going through motor controls…

I may end up trying to build a controller only out of relays and switches and the like one day just for the heck of it.

I’m not certain how well it would work running both controllers to the same switch simply because of backfeeding/computer issues you could run into. At the end of the day it is only a dry contact and both should be protected from voltage variances but those controllers aren’t cheap and I personally wouldn’t risk iy

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yeah, I’m in an electrical apprenticeship and we are currently going through motor controls…

I may end up trying to build a controller only out of relays and switches and the like one day just for the heck of it.

That's cool actually.

There are a lot of interesting DIN mountable industrial control modules out there to play with but for the price of an APEX controller one cannot go wrong - especially when you can get used classics on R2R for next to nothing.

... At the end of the day it is only a dry contact and both should be protected from voltage variances ...

That's what I am thinking but not 100% sure.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without the specifics of an application im a bit stumped. If your just needing lets say a single float switch to send a n/o or n/c to two different apex's at the same time through a analog input ala 'break out box' on each apex then sure that wont be a problem. You would just split the float wiring and run a set to each apex. With the analog signal you just do your outlet programming to each apex as needed.

BRS
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back