Purple firefish black dots (small)

Staplesofficewar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not sure if disease or not… several black dots. Back story: 14 days tank transfer moved every other day. Two seperate 24 hour doses of prazipro a week apart. Daily feeding with metro and focus soaked food. In a long term monitor tank right now… am I being paranoid?

IMG_1013.jpeg IMG_1017.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Not sure if disease or not… several black dots. Back story: 14 days tank transfer moved every other day. Two seperate 24 hour doses of prazipro a week apart. Daily feeding with metro and focus soaked food. In a long term monitor tank right now… am I being paranoid?

Too much of everything, Stop the metro which should be used IF absolutely necessary by weight and makes food taste bitter. Prazi lowers both oxygen and appetite and is being added too frequently. You want to with this fish dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
These can be simple scrapes, grains of sand or bite marks. Keep an eye on the areas for any increase . You can stop all the meds and go with reef safe ruby rally pro

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those could just be inconsequential melanin spots. If they are turbellarian worms, the treatments you’ve used do far won’t treat that. Formalin dips work best (150 ppm for one hour with good aeration). 5 minute FW dips sometimes work. Personally I wouldn’t treat this unless the spots increase in numbers.

OP
OP
Staplesofficewar

Staplesofficewar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Too much of everything, Stop the metro which should be used IF absolutely necessary by weight and makes food taste bitter. Prazi lowers both oxygen and appetite and is being added too frequently. You want to with this fish dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
These can be simple scrapes, grains of sand or bite marks. Keep an eye on the areas for any increase . You can stop all the meds and go with reef safe ruby rally pro
Thanks. All that ended a week ago with the end the TTM. The prazi was only two doses, week apart, 24 hours each. Airstone run with it, Then transfer to new bucket. No metro either since completion. Eating very well and active. They ( there’s a clown going through same protocol with it) would normally be in display by now but I’ve gotten cautious in my middle years.

OP
OP
Staplesofficewar

Staplesofficewar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Those could just be inconsequential melanin spots. If they are turbellarian worms, the treatments you’ve used do far won’t treat that. Formalin dips work best (150 ppm for one hour with good aeration). 5 minute FW dips sometimes work. Personally I wouldn’t treat this unless the spots increase in numbers.
Thanks Jay. I’ll monitor and research turbellarian worms as well. Will report back good or bad.

OP
OP
Staplesofficewar

Staplesofficewar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Update - Black spots went away, then one came back on its rights side, but that one is gone now too.

Thinking of TTM them to a fresh 10 and continue to monitor. FYI - Bare bottom, PVC for hiding only - HOB filter.
Seems these worms are self limiting so continuing to watch.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Black spots went away, then one came back on its rights side, but that one is gone now too.

Thinking of TTM them to a fresh 10 and continue to monitor. FYI - Bare bottom, PVC for hiding only - HOB filter.
Seems these worms are self limiting so continuing to watch.

Turbellarians are often self-limiting. You can increase the chance of that in a bare bottom tank by siphoning the bottom each morning for a week or so.

OP
OP
Staplesofficewar

Staplesofficewar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Turbellarians are often self-limiting. You can increase the chance of that in a bare bottom tank by siphoning the bottom each morning for a week or so.
thank you. One thing in the back of my mind - do these organisms have a longer "on fish time" than ick? Theses fish went through TTM over 14 days with a transfer every 48 hours. I would think it would have taken care of them too.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you. One thing in the back of my mind - do these organisms have a longer "on fish time" than ick? Theses fish went through TTM over 14 days with a transfer every 48 hours. I would think it would have taken care of them too.

There are a couple of different species, but one reference I have says the life cycle is 10 days, so a bit longer than TTM is designed for.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back