Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition (revised)

Nutramar

mosreef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't keep feeding a fat fish a lot of food.
Any recommendations for a tank full of fat fish that are more aggressive feeders & take all the food from the more shy fish?

I have a watchman goby and a scooter blenny that have to be target fed with a Pipette because they aren’t getting enough to eat.

Tank is fed 4x/day with a plank auto feeder set at 30 seconds, and 1 or 2x a day by Pipette with emerald entree or marine cuisine. The fat aggressive feeders (damsels, Midas blennie) turn into a pack of pirhanas when they see the Pipette.

Also what do you think of the Reef Jerky? It still floats even though I set it to soak for 3 minutes before turning on the pump. They don’t love eating floating food.

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more aggressive feeders & take all the food from the more shy fish?
Aquarists love a wide variety of ornamental marine fishes. Unfortunately, not all fishes match up and we have to sacrifice. For example, putting a delicate, slow-eating Butterflyfish in with assertive Triggerfishes doesn't work well for the Butterflyfish. In essence, the community tank needs to be well matched. Keep shy fishes with shy fishes; keep aggressive fishes with aggressive fishes. It may be time to 'reorganize' the fish inhabitants and decide which group you want to keep.

Feed the aggressive fishes first, then spot feed after these fishes have had their fill. That is about the best approach under these circumstances.
what do you think of the Reef Jerky?
It has such a large blend, that this food doesn't 'target' a specific kind of fish. The picture shows a wide diversity of food sizes. I'm sure some will be lost on fish too large/too small to enjoy the entire blend. Maybe the picture I'm looking at isn't the final product? If the feeder works with this freeze-dried food, then it will work with others. A custom mix of freeze-dried foods is possible.
They don’t love eating floating food.
Our ornamental marine fishes are not used to eating food on the surface of their tank water. Some will adapt to eating floating flake foods and floating freeze-dried foods.
a plank auto feeder set at 30 seconds
I'm unsure how well this auto feeder actually keeps the freeze-dried food in the water column v. floating. You would probably have better experience with this.

My concern is getting supplements to the fish. The auto feeder doesn't seem to lend itself to adding liquid supplements.
Also what is your opinion of these single ingredient frozen cubes from tropical marine centre - they have prawn, mysis, krill, mussel, bloodworm & vegetarian (will avoid the brine shrimp)

I think they look great. As the maker suggests, straining is important, but I like 'rinsing' the best. Seems pricey.

Last edited:

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a list of your favorite or go-to frozen fish foods? Where would you suggest buying blackworms online?
Thanks for your questions. I have a revised post that has yet to be uploaded here. I have answers to those questions in that revision.
Do you have a list of your favorite or go-to frozen fish foods?
I like to vary my frozen foods. That is to say, I don't just feed a single frozen food. I choose one from the following list, then when it expires or runs out, I choose another from the list. The list is:
PE Frozen Mysis (diluviana) Shrimp
PE Frozen Calanus (to aid in marine fish coloration)
Hikari Mega-Marine Angel food (frozen)
Ocean nutrition angel formula
R.O.E. Real Oceanic Eggs by Reef Nutrition
LRS Herbivore diet
Reef Frenzy
I add Frozen clams on the half-shell now and then in addition to the above.
Where would you suggest buying blackworms online?
Live Blackworms (a.k.a. California Blackworms) (Lumbriculus variegatus) can be bought online. Most availability seems to be from biological supply companies, and just a few sources of reptile companies. I bought mine from Carolina Biological Supply Co. The suppliers I fine most reliable are those that supply goods for teachers/classes.

EliMelly

Review score
+0 /0 /-1
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your questions. I have a revised post that has yet to be uploaded here. I have answers to those questions in that revision.

I like to vary my frozen foods. That is to say, I don't just feed a single frozen food. I choose one from the following list, then when it expires or runs out, I choose another from the list. The list is:
PE Frozen Mysis (diluviana) Shrimp
PE Frozen Calanus (to aid in marine fish coloration)
Hikari Mega-Marine Angel food (frozen)
Ocean nutrition angel formula
R.O.E. Real Oceanic Eggs by Reef Nutrition
LRS Herbivore diet
Reef Frenzy
I add Frozen clams on the half-shell now and then in addition to the above.

Live Blackworms (a.k.a. California Blackworms) (Lumbriculus variegatus) can be bought online. Most availability seems to be from biological supply companies, and just a few sources of reptile companies. I bought mine from Carolina Biological Supply Co. The suppliers I fine most reliable are those that supply goods for teachers/classes.
Wow thanks so much! Would you mind me shooting you a pm with some more questions?

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back