Powder blue tang compatibility

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intend to keep my powder blue with a lavender and lieutenant tang, would it work? Or is the powder blue too aggressive? The tank is 210 gallons

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intend to keep my powder blue with a lavender and lieutenant tang, would it work? Or is the powder blue too aggressive? The tank is 210 gallons
Possibly, my first one murdered 2 fish then went after my adult purple. Had to re home it

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one that is smaller than your lavender and lieutenant. I just got my 2nd PBT (1-2in), had one a long time ago in 2017. He’s pretty stuck up toward my yellow tang and tomini despite them being 3 times his size.

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one that is smaller than your lavender and lieutenant. I just got my 2nd PBT (1-2in), had one a long time ago in 2017. He’s pretty stuck up toward my yellow tang and tomini despite them being 3 times his size.
I'll definitely try to get one that small but they are indeed a bit more on the rarer side her and the smallest i can possibly get is 4 to 5 inches

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken, the PBT is an ich magnet of sorts. I'd be more worried it would stress out and get sick.
That is indeed one of the main reasons on why i set up a quarantine, i did hear that they were quite susceptible to ich when first introduced, though I am sure that they become a beast when established?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, i did hear that they were aggressive but that aggressive!?
Yep. Only reason Im trying again is I need aggressive tangs to put with my sailfin, he is getting too big for his britches and being a jerk cause none of my other fish will challenge him

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Only reason Im trying again is I need aggressive tangs to put with my sailfin, he is getting too big for his britches and being a jerk cause none of my other fish will challenge him
I think that it's a great idea, do you know any other aggressive tangs? If it's needed I could replace the lavender or lieutenant to other aggressive tangs which could stand against the pbt, please do mention on how it goes for you

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it's a great idea, do you know any other aggressive tangs? If it's needed I could replace the lavender or lieutenant to other aggressive tangs which could stand against the pbt, please do mention on how it goes for you
Will do. The pbt is in a holding tank for now

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely try to get one that small but they are indeed a bit more on the rarer side her and the smallest i can possibly get is 4 to 5 inches
Well a PBT that is 4-5in will immediately become the boss of the tank. When I first put my Powder Blue in (1-2in), he was immediately bullied by my yellow tang, and was hiding for several days. Couple of weeks later, he’s managed to evict my yellow tang (5 inches) from his regular sleeping cave. Oh how the tables have turned so quickly lol.

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a more peaceful tang instead if youre worried about aggression
Just got my lionfish and powder blue from the shipment so I guess now I am stuck with a beautiful but a bad personality fish haha, but who knows he might actually be a kind gentleman, i did hear that not all fish in the species are the same and maybe if i am lucky enough there might be an exception

Attachments

• VID_20241011_112336.mp4
    36.3 MB
OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that they would be big enough to put in with my juvenile eels temporarily in a 60 gallon, but that doesn't seem to be the case, would it be alright to keep the lionfish and the pbt in a 20 gallon till they grow atleast 2 or 4 inches more? I do have another 30 gallon but it will be a hassle to set that up again

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a PBT that is 4-5in will immediately become the boss of the tank. When I first put my Powder Blue in (1-2in), he was immediately bullied by my yellow tang, and was hiding for several days. Couple of weeks later, he’s managed to evict my yellow tang (5 inches) from his regular sleeping cave. Oh how the tables have turned so quickly lol.
That indeed looks like a sight to behold! How long would it take for him to grow 2 to 4 inches more?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, i did hear that they were aggressive but that aggressive!?
Powder Blues are willing to murder and are definitely not afraid of it.

If you have a Powder Blue already I’d probably avoid adding more tangs - your tank may be big but a powder blue will claim even a 6 foot tank as its own and not back down from a fight.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is indeed one of the main reasons on why i set up a quarantine, i did hear that they were quite susceptible to ich when first introduced, though I am sure that they become a beast when established?
Do you QT corals, rocks, sand and inverts? If you don’t, you will absolutely have ich in that tank you just need a stressor to ‘activate’ it.

CWoods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PBT in a 150g with a bunch of tangs hippo, yellow, purple and convict. Also a bunch of misc fish; clowns, wrasse, gobies, damsels, etc.. Only one fish did it bully and that was a sailfin tang. It would not let him eat and it eventually passed. Convict tang was a latest addition and that's after the PBT had been in there for over a year. The PBT will rarely attempt to bully my foxface but it's 30% bigger then him and it's got those spines.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back