+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and thanks for reading.

I have a 133 gallon set up currently and want to add a couple of tangs. I read about both these fish on live aquaria and the powder blue is rated for a minimum of 125 and the Achilles is rated for a minimum of 180 gallons. The powder blue gets larger so I was wondering if anyone with these fish could tell me why the smaller fish needs a larger tank? I've kept kole, naso and hippo tangs in the past. They seem to be jerks over all.

I have a purple tang in the QT too and want the most peaceful reef possible with these tangs. A local shop just text me offering a smaller baby achilles, about 3 inches so it would grow with the tank. I love the look of powder blues more though but they fade with age. Ugh...

Which would you go with?

Top Shelf Aquatics

bif24701

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do the Achilles just because they most of all really need that space for swimming. Of the Tangs of this size and size demand they most of need maximum swimming space and flow.

The PB could be ok, do you have other Tangs?

Nutramar Foods

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the habbits of the fish that determine the tank size. If the fish needs lots of room for exercise and swimming to be happy, it needs a larger tank. Like how you can keep a 3' eel in a 120g tank and it's happy as long as it has a cave big enough. Or how a 10" Achilles needs a large open tank for room to swim.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so Achilles tangs are more active then powder blues?

More active, more prone to aggression, more sensitive to water changes(PB is still sensitive), harder to get eating well... you could say they are "more tangy." lol It's why they are usually listed as expert only.

I don't have a PB or Achilles, I have a Caribbean blue and Lieutenant tang. Both are more hardy than an Achilles and the PB, esp. the blue. That guy is a tank. The Lt. I wouldn't call a tank, but hardy as tangs go. I got them both small(still are) and they get along fine, the plan is for them to grow up together, so there is no aggression between them later.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen powder blues ranked higher in aggression than most other surgeon fish. Also, the achilies is really really really sensitive. if your not going to QT them then don't even think about it. they get ich if you look at them sideways.

"peaceful tank" with a group of tangs.... that's a good one.

Nutramar Foods

bif24701

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More active, more prone to aggression, more sensitive to water changes(PB is still sensitive), harder to get eating well... you could say they are "more tangy." lol It's why they are usually listed as expert only.

I don't have a PB or Achilles, I have a Caribbean blue and Lieutenant tang. Both are more hardy than an Achilles and the PB, esp. the blue. That guy is a tank. The Lt. I wouldn't call a tank, but hardy as tangs go. I got them both small(still are) and they get along fine, the plan is for them to grow up together, so there is no aggression between them later.

I have a powder brown and is much like the PB. Swims all day, hard. Also aggressive to my blenny and foxface. He is only 3-4", I can only imagine how it will be when bigger. My adult Hawaiian Naso Tang is chill and graceful, Love this fish. Naso's get big, and still a better fit for a 133.
e9cbf521fbe9115a4e0899b8350e868e.jpg

OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powder brown and is much like the PB. Swims all day, hard. Also aggressive to my blenny and foxface. He is only 3-4", I can only imagine how it will be when bigger. My adult Hawaiian Naso Tang is chill and graceful, Love this fish. Naso's get big, and still a better fit for a 133.
e9cbf521fbe9115a4e0899b8350e868e.jpg
Great feedback thank you so much

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was a great red, thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. So no powder blue for me.
Thank you! I personally say that both the Achilles and powder blue require 180 gallon minimum tanks long term. Both require lots of swimming room.

Larger tanks are less stressful for the fish, and Achilles stress more easily. I suspect that's one primary reason live aquaria says that the Achilles requires it.

AquaCave Logo Banner

ironeagle2006

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a PBT in the past in a 150 and the sucker would attack my hands in the tank every single time they came into there to do tank care. He killed multiple fish I tried to introduce it got to the point I gave him to my LFS to get him out of the tank as I was tired of seeing fish killed.

victorcan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Achilles in my 220 display and he is a rapid swimmer, my understanding is that achilles tangs are found in surge zones and like to swim in surge-zone waters with speed while powder blues are in calmer reef waters and are more likely to wander and graze

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back