Ponder Water: How often do you do water changes?

How often do you do water changes?

• Weekly.

Votes: 106 48.0%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • Once every several months.

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • I only do water changes if something is going awry in my system.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • I don't do water changes.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 30 13.6%

• Total voters

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t do them unless I’m trying to fix a major problem. I use reef moonshiners for trace elements, have a large fuge with chaeto for nutrient export, sometimes supplemented with GFO for PO4.

Before reef moonshiners it was once/month.

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biweekly for me, i have a 90 gallon semi mixed reef, mostly LPS. i change 20 gallons every other week.

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To change my water or not to change my water. Some people think it's absolutely essential. Others shrug their shoulders and leave the tank to do its own thing. But one thing is for sure: There are lots of varying factors and opinions when it comes to this topic. Let's discuss it!

How often do you do water changes, and why? If you're not doing water changes, why is that?
yes, many factors are in play. As an example, I have a mixed reef, 135g with about 6 fish, 2 of them being large tangs that I feed heavily with seaweed. As much as stay on top of my skimmer, filter pads, dose NoPox...I find it very hard in the size tank to keep my nitrates under 10ppm. Currently they run at 18.5ppm most weeks. There are some other corals I'd like to keep, but I know they won't be happy with the elevated nitrates. So I find doing 2 30g water changes a month, keeps things in check and I'm hoping to get down below 10ppm to keep more delicate colorful corals. Per several ICP water tests, the rest of my parameters are on spot on give or take a point.

Ocean BLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any equipment that everyone else has just a canister filter with a UV light in it . A wave maker and a bunch of different lights cause I can’t afford one good one so I do a monthly water change using premade Pacific Ocean water even tho my readings are all good

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is every 2 weeks not an option. haha thats what i aim for. sometimes a week slips by though. i do it for nitrate reduction and trace element additions.
That is usually the goal for me when I remember to do it haha

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change 40 gallons in my 125 gallon 4 or 5 times a year.

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15% weekly, but the tank is only 18 months old and just started to add some lps corals plus zoas, so water changes are to replace what they are starting to take out, soon be moving to every 2 weeks and possibly dropping a bit of AFR to compensate

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that do daily, how often are you mixing? What are you storing water in?

I mixed up 88 gallons at a time in 2 brute cans plumbed together, then used it over a month or two. It mixes once, then not again till a new batch was made.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly.i enjoy the tinkering aspect as much as the corals so I'm very hands on

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back