Ponder Water: How often do you do water changes?

How often do you do water changes?

• Weekly.

Votes: 106 48.0%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • Once every several months.

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • I only do water changes if something is going awry in my system.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • I don't do water changes.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 30 13.6%

• Total voters

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To change my water or not to change my water. Some people think it's absolutely essential. Others shrug their shoulders and leave the tank to do its own thing. But one thing is for sure: There are lots of varying factors and opinions when it comes to this topic. Let's discuss it!

How often do you do water changes, and why? If you're not doing water changes, why is that?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least once a month, sometimes biweekly. Five tanks, all different parameters. I change about 160 gallons of water a month of 400 gallons total water volume. I do it for nitrate control.

Jjmg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly 10%. I think my corals look better after having the water change done. I also enjoy tank maintenance and tinkering.

Luigi Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is very much dependent on the type of set up one has. For those set ups with load of filtration (large skimmer, large refugium, rollers, etc), then the water changes would be less.

For myself, who has a very minimalist style aquarium, then water changes are more important, so I change 10% per week, and 50% every 3 months.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I voted "other." I aim for weekly but sometimes that gets stretched out to 10 or 20 days. Life happens :)

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for me to go do a water change. Thank you OP. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I don't think I need it. But why not. Lets replenish anything I might be missing and get rid of anything that's had a chance to concentrate.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically 10% weekly sometimes 15% biweekly. I let mine go 2 weeks this time and one of my Goni’s didn’t like it. That Goni is the biggest of the 3 that I have and it just closed up for like 3 or 4 days. Did a water change on Saturday and it was almost back to normal today. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Parameters weren’t out of whack, not sure what changed.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back