Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

BRS

How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to have a minimum of 3 or so. The more the better. I’ll only buy somewhat “established” frags, no fresh chops, that have some healthy and visible matting/webbing between the polyps.

nkyreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-5 polyps. There's too big a chance that one or two will melt away. If someone is selling per polyp I move right along. Doesn't make sense to count how many are on the plug. What is the frag cost? That determines whether I buy it our not.

danny_M

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One polyp is a rip off unless is goes below 1 dollar/euro .. 2-4 is acceptable if they are fast growing.
For the more "exotic ones" i would only buy 4-8 polyps, and then only if the price is right. Far to often the prices are ridiculously high or the type offered based on only colour of their slow growth rate.

anabechara

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you noticed zoanthids (often called zoas) being sold one head (sometimes called polyps) at a time or sometimes with heads that are far less than full size? How do you feel about this? Some may appreciate the chance to get a chance to get an unusual zoa especially if the price per polyp is high. Other people may look for the rock that hosts an entire zoa colony, while still others look for zoas for sale that have between three and five polyps. Please tell us what you expect when you are shopping for zoas. How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

Pro Tip: Not all zoas grow at the same pace and some varieties can even outcompete other types for space. If you are buying fewer heads then consider selecting faster growing and faster replicating zoa varieties.

View attachment 3175044
Photo by @riptide Aquaculture

If you have zoa related questions, feel free to check out the R2R zoa discussion section where you can read, learn, and ask additional questions!

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

View attachment 3175046
“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
Where can I find the info on which zoas grow faster?

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this one for cheap from a fellow collector who was breaking down their tank. There’s some turquoise mushrooms on the rock, too

IMG_2542.jpeg

BRS

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back