##### Picture Entry: BC RAINDROP ON ROSES GROW-OUT CONTEST #####

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

am3gross

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BranchingHammer
@lynn.reef.nerd
@Reefing102

My November entry.

Nov12.jpg

Elise_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately mine is not looking as good today. I am continuing to fight a cyano outbreak and have been sick so missed a few days of gently blowing the cyano off the corals so this could definitely be part of it, however I also have some GHA or other green filamentous algae that is starting on some of the other SPS plugs that I got in the same order.

But I just cleaned the tank and noticed afterwards that my raindrops frag has one end of the growth looking white and like it has lost tissue, and a couple of the polyps have long white stringy looking stuff coming from them, I initially thought it was a hydroid or something stuck but I think its tissue from the coral.

I knew I wasn't going to do the best but I was really hoping I could keep this guy alive!

Could it be lack of light? I am in the process of upgrading but didn't think what I had would be that terrible.

Chee-tomorpha

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is white growth good or bad? Mine is more on the teal side. It's not brown or purple like the rest of the frag. I haven't got much new growth though but it's continues to encrust the plug's side. I see you guys are using some kind of filler to smooth out the drop. What are you using?

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is white growth good or bad? Mine is more on the teal side. It's not brown or purple like the rest of the frag. I haven't got much new growth though but it's continues to encrust the plug's side. I see you guys are using some kind of filler to smooth out the drop. What are you using?
I have new growth that is sometimes white and colors up later. I don’t see why it would be bad. What do you mean a filler to smooth out the drop?

Elise_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can STN start from the tips of the branches? I few of my new SPS are turning white on the tips and it looks like my contest frag has lost tissue on one tip.
I know it's a contest but I am hoping not to lose the frag completely :(

IMG_3120.jpg

Chee-tomorpha

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should be a friendly competition and we share and help each other. It is not like my tank would be same as yours. Even if I give you my entire formula it would be hard to replicate the complex ecosystem in my tank, in yours. Just my opinion.

Not an expert but could it be damage from being shipped. It's possible it's how the coral should look like. I mean, the photos show a with tip on BC website.

Elise_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should be a friendly competition and we share and help each other. It is not like my tank would be same as yours. Even if I give you my entire formula it would be hard to replicate the complex ecosystem in my tank, in yours. Just my opinion.

Not an expert but could it be damage from being shipped. It's possible it's how the coral should look like. I mean, the photos show a with tip on BC website.
I agree, we all could aim for the exact same water parameters etc and I think we would end up with different results, even if we all had the same lights.
I am wondering if lighting is part of the problem but the algae issue I am having I am sure is not helping.

I think its probably something to do with my tank as its weeks since it shipped and initially it (and the 4 other SPS I got from battle corals) was doing well and they are all taking a bit of a step back.

I definitely don't have enough light on them, hopefully my new AI prime gets here soon but I wonder if the cyano is a culprit too.

Wiskey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience STN from the tip is usually a fish nipping (It happens, my foxface is a jerk) Light too high (Already ruled out it sounds like) or too high ALK for the nutrient levels. I don't know why on the last one, but it seems to happen.

Reef tanks are allot like the exposure triangle, where one choice has an effect on other choices. If you have really high nutrients you need really high light and really high ALK to get the color, but lower nutrients need less light and less ALK or the coral's health suffers. That's why you see Zeovit tanks running an alk of 7 so much, where someone with a DSB might have the sun in their canopy and an ALK of 12.

There are other causes I'm sure, but that might be a couple things to think about.

Whiskey

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back