Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, that’s such shocking and sad news. He did so much to inspire and share his knowledge with the community. So much of my love for this hobby and so much of the knowledge I’ve gained was thanks to his content. My heart goes out to the family, he’ll be missed for sure.

KK's Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be in the minority here, but the first video of Jake's that I came across was of him interviewing someone, and I thought he was a bit of a blowhard. LOL. But the more I checked out Reef Builders, his videos, his mission, the more I realized that his "tude" was just his passion shining through.

Now, I honestly can't go a week without listening to he and Mark's Reef Therapy pod. Such a trailblazer and an asset to the community. I didn't know him and never got a chance to meet him, but he feels like a dear friend. He will truly be missed.

RIP Jake.

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ryshark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is terribly sad. He was such an inspiration to me and I always looked forward to his videos and podcast. Honestly, was happy to watch any content he was in.
This reminds me of the time he was on ReefBum and they were already probably almost 2-hours in and Keith was wrapping it up and Jake just wanted to keep going. He had a true passion for reefing and will be missed.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has helped me learn so much and thx to him part of the hobby has grew. I’m so sad to hear he is gone. My condolences to his family and the ReefBuilders’ crew. I can’t imagine ReefBuilders without him.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard what I thought for sure was a rumor earlier today so I shot him a text, sadly my employer informed me a bit later and I realized that text I sent will unfortunately go unanswered...
His passion and knowledge was unrivaled, he was an ambassador to the hobby who helped and inspired so many.
The world lost a one of a kind human today.

Screenshot_20221021-204210.png

Fishboy-1970

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been recently starting to binge watch the Reef Therapy podcast by ReefBuilders and I cannot believe this news!?! I’m in disbelief and in awe of the leading, brilliant inspiration he has been in this hobby… ):
Sane here, I fall asleep watching them on my phone. Soo sad.

Tamale

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest blow to the hobby in a long time. Jake was a pillar of the community and I can't believe he's gone. I looked forward to Jake and Mark's podcast every week. Just awful.

If anyone hears of anything going around to help his family please post it!

ssdawood

Valuable Member
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
sad news. Im sure everyone can come together for a donation in his name for a reef restoration project or something.
I am thinking maybe forum can organize an auction or sale thread.

We all have equipment laying around. We could donate it. Then the forum can sell it and donate money to family.

He was a young guy. I am sure family can use help.
If this is wrong I am sorry. Trying to help someway.
We all have equipment laying We don't use.
It can be sold here and money sent. This way we know it's done right.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I might be in the minority here, but the first video of Jake's that I came across was of him interviewing someone, and I thought he was a bit of a blowhard. LOL. But the more I checked out Reef Builders, his videos, his mission, the more I realized that his "tude" was just his passion shining through.

Now, I honestly can't go a week without listening to he and Mark's Reef Therapy pod. Such a trailblazer and an asset to the community. I didn't know him and never got a chance to meet him, but he feels like a dear friend. He will truly be missed.

RIP Jake.
Your not alone
A lot of people hated on him when he first started.

Then slowly he built the studio. Finally when he had all his tanks running full with corals community embraced him.

Jake earned the respect. He showed the community he meant business. His passion was revealed slowly over the years.
When you have more than dozen tanks full with acros " The colonies speak for themselves"

He showed us how to grow amazing corals with gravity ATO. Just regular water changes and float valves.

When that level of success is achieved you earn everyone's respect.
RIP

EakTheFreak

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst news possible. RIP Jake. I listen to reef therapy everytime I work on my tank! You will be missed and taught many of us countless lessons and entertainment and easily had the biggest impact of getting me to new levels of reefing.

Condolences to his friends and family.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back