+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They were updated 2 months ago on his forum.
Updated on 1/25 and he too states 5-7 days , water change and another 5-7 days. Flukes are flatworms and cannot be eliminated in 3 days. Then to go on to Humblefish and come on here with that advice and insist yet and argue with one of our Fish Medic members who are on same page with our group and is in collaboration With Jay who is our residential medic and tell @MnFish1 that you have various information and you produce a misread label and state 16 years of fish keeping is a little off track.
Im not and repeat am not criticizing you but this is wrong information that will lead to casualties of someone's livestock. Ive run an LFS almost as long as you have been in hobby just hitting my 40th year and Jay just as long managing a public aquarium and has authored quite a few books displays a little bit of experience.
I pointed out the information on label and not intended as a debate or argument but some recommendations become disturbing when they can end up in fatalities in someone's investment/system.

Nutramar Foods

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated on 1/25 and he too states 5-7 days , water change and another 5-7 days. Flukes are flatworms and cannot be eliminated in 3 days. Then to go on to Humblefish and come on here with that advice and insist yet and argue with one of our Fish Medic members who are on same page with our group and is in collaboration With Jay who is our residential medic and tell @MnFish1 that you have various information and you produce a misread label and state 16 years of fish keeping is a little off track.
Im not and repeat am not criticizing you but this is wrong information that will lead to casualties of someone's livestock. Ive run an LFS almost as long as you have been in hobby just hitting my 40th year and Jay just as long managing a public aquarium and has authored quite a few books displays a little bit of experience.
I pointed out the information on label and not intended as a debate or argument but some recommendations become disturbing when they can end up in fatalities in someone's investment/system.
This all sounds very much like reef central all over. I can join whichever forum I want and express my opinion equally as you or anyone else. All the snipe remark about my references are uncalled for and inaccurate.

prazi gets depleted after 72 hours & that’s a common info from both Jay & Humble fish. There is nothing wrong or dangerous with what I’m suggesting.

What is dangerous is how you use the fish medic name to act like you can discount other ppl’s opinion, which was exactly how RC started to go down.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This all sounds very much like reef central all over. I can join whichever forum I want and express my opinion equally as you or anyone else. All the snipe remark about my references are uncalled for and inaccurate.

prazi gets depleted after 72 hours & that’s a common info from both Jay & Humble fish. There is nothing wrong or dangerous with what I’m suggesting.

What is dangerous is how you use the fish medic name to act like you can discount other ppl’s opinion, which was exactly how RC started to go down.
Mnfish requested references and I remarked about what label states. Every 3 days is not dangerous- I'll let you figure it out.
This is not Reef central and to come on here over the last couple of weeks with argumentative attitude and I dont use the name- its earned. I see what bothers you already but not here to argue.

@Jay Hemdal - can you clarify treatment protocol on PraziPro

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mnfish requested references and I remarked about what label states. Every 3 days is not dangerous- I'll let you figure it out.
This is not Reef central and to come on here over the last couple of weeks with argumentative attitude and I dont use the name- its earned. I see what bothers you already but not here to argue.

@Jay Hemdal - can you clarify treatment protocol on PraziPro
I said to use one week to administer two dosage on Prazi, which is different from doing that every 3 days for the foreseeable future. So get it right before calling ppl out.

What I said is based on the info that prazi gets depleted after 72 hours. If that’s right and it’s indeed gone, it makes perfect sense to do a WC and then redose.

I have found quite a few things you said questionable and at least one time laughable. You suggested someone to get chicken flavored Fenbendazole…, yet I never quoted you or called you out. Yet you had no problem quoting me and making negative remarks. I don’t know how that make me argumentative, which appears to be your style of communication.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said to use one week to administer two dosage on Prazi, which is different from doing that every 3 days for the foreseeable future. So get it right before calling ppl out.

What I said is based on the info that prazi gets depleted after 72 hours. If that’s right and it’s indeed gone, it makes perfect sense to do a WC and then redose.

I have found quite a few things you said questionable and at least one time laughable. You suggested someone to get chicken flavored Fenbendazole…, yet I never quoted you or called you out. Yet you had no problem quoting me and making negative remarks. I don’t know how that make me argumentative, which appears to be your style of communication.
I find 99 percent of what @vetteguy53081 says to be correct. Second - My interpretation is that you dose prazipro, as directed, then wait 3 days, then another 3 days for it to de-activate, then on day 4(7) do a water change - then repeat - so it results in about a dose every 7 days. Perhaps I'm misconstruing it. (I.e. the dose is in the water for 3 days. You wait 3 days and on day 4(7 ) one does a water change. Note - I agree with others who have suggested that the directions are somewhat unclear - however the protocol recommended here is clear - on what we recommend.

As to the fish medic title - no one is correct all of the time. However, On this forum - its not a 'debate' between people, instead its this is the protocol we recommend. Whether Humblefish or you or anyone else recommends another protocol (or the directions on the bottle are unclear) - this is the protocol we recommend - and will continue to recommend - so - though you have 16 years of fish-keeping experience, which is great - its not going to be enough to change the protocol - and IMHO - no offense - not appropriate to come and debate the protocols recommended here - without clear references.

BTW - after carefully reading the directions - it seems to suggest that in times of severe illness, etc - you can repeat a dose sooner than 5-7 days. However - this is a routine quarantine protocol - as compared to for severe disease.

Its always good to discuss these things - and appreciate you pointing out (as well as some others) - the poor clarity of the directions on the bottle!

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - Prazipro is not candy. I think this is an unnecessary overdose of the medication for a routine QT situation. Additionally ignores the life cycle of the things one is trying to kill.

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find 99 percent of what @vetteguy53081 says to be correct. Second - My interpretation is that you dose prazipro, as directed, then wait 3 days, then another 3 days for it to de-activate, then on day 4(7) do a water change - then repeat - so it results in about a dose every 7 days. Perhaps I'm misconstruing it. (I.e. the dose is in the water for 3 days. You wait 3 days and on day 4(7 ) one does a water change. Note - I agree with others who have suggested that the directions are somewhat unclear - however the protocol recommended here is clear - on what we recommend.

As to the fish medic title - no one is correct all of the time. However, On this forum - its not a 'debate' between people, instead its this is the protocol we recommend. Whether Humblefish or you or anyone else recommends another protocol (or the directions on the bottle are unclear) - this is the protocol we recommend - and will continue to recommend - so - though you have 16 years of fish-keeping experience, which is great - its not going to be enough to change the protocol - and IMHO - no offense - not appropriate to come and debate the protocols recommended here - without clear references.

BTW - after carefully reading the directions - it seems to suggest that in times of severe illness, etc - you can repeat a dose sooner than 5-7 days. However - this is a routine quarantine protocol - as compared to for severe disease.

Its always good to discuss these things - and appreciate you pointing out (as well as some others) - the poor clarity of the directions on the bottle!
Ppl ask open question and I reply, which has nothing to do with changing your protocol. If ppl ask specifically for fish medic, I see that and often choose to not chime in since they are looking for a specific response. So I don’t know how a comment of mine to an open question is all of sudden an attempt to change protocol.

What I expect and respect is to use the opportunity of having different opinion to promote positive and helpful discussion, and not this back and forth with the fish medic rep vetteguy.

if what I said is indeed dangerous, then what is advising someone to buy an untested chicken flavored med that’s not even for fish…,

44D4D1B8-808C-4494-9FD4-24D086770039.png

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - Prazipro is not candy. I think this is an unnecessary overdose of the medication for a routine QT situation. Additionally ignores the life cycle of the things one is trying to kill.
I never said or even suggested it’s candy. Not sure where you get that. I also didn’t ignore the life cycle of fluke, which is why I suggested two dosages.

Prazi, however, is supposedly “very gentle on fish to the point it can be overdosed with no I’ll effects. The exception is wrasses.” based on the same reference that I’ve used.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ppl ask open question and I reply, which has nothing to do with changing your protocol. If ppl ask specifically for fish medic, I see that and often choose to not chime in since they are looking for a specific response. So I don’t know how a comment of mine to an open question all of sudden an attempt to change protocol.

What I expect and respect is to use the opportunity of having different opinion to promote positive and helpful discussion, and not this back and forth with the fish medic rep vetteguy.

if what I said is indeed dangerous, then what is advising someone to buy an untested chicken flavored med that’s not even for fish…,

View attachment 3059604
To clarify- this person asked if there was a liquid form of it and I sent this as being the only one out there and gave him the formula for breaking up the pill and diluting it and messaged him after to clarify this liquid version is not fish safe or aquarium use.
I’ve never been on reef central but heard of the behaviors of people on that site and it describes you well. You come here ready to fight with the attitude that this is another reef central and you’re not dealing with anyone
I made it clear that I’m not intending to insult you nor argue but you have displayed yourself otherwise and I decided no point carrying this conversation and it’s still my position

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify- this person asked if there was a liquid form of it and I sent this as being the only one out there and gave him the formula for breaking up the pill and diluting it and messaged him after to clarify this is not fish safe
I’ve never been on reef central but heard of the behaviors of people on that site and it describes you well. You come here ready to fight with the attitude that this is another reef central and you’re not dealing with anyone
I made it clear that I’m not intending to insult you nor argue but you have displayed yourself otherwise and I decided no point carrying this conversation and it’s still my position
I’m not here to fight with anyone. U called me out by quoting me so I responded, without quoting you. That’s how it goes so don’t try to turn that around. Check my record n you will see this is the first off topic exchange.

The reference of RC was due to the similarity of arrogant tone and behavior that you have exhibited. I expect a fish medic rep to be better.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m not here to fight with anyone. U called me out so I responded. That’s how it goes so don’t try to turn that around.

The reference of RC was due to the similarity of arrogant tone and behavior that you have exhibited. I expect a fish medic rep to be better.
As stated- not intended and again concern was raised with quick multiple applications and MnFish is correct- the directions from Hikari are very unclear and confusing and not the first time confusion has been expressed as to how it should be properly dosed
We recommend two intervals of one application for 8 days and a water change with one more application for 8 days and what a person does with this recommendation is up to them
Bruce(humble fish says 5-7 day interval based on severity)

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated- not intended and again concern was raised with quick multiple applications and MnFish is correct- the directions from Hikari are very unclear and confusing and not the first time confusion has been expressed as to how it should be properly dosed
We recommend two intervals of one application for 8 days and a water change with one more application for 8 days and what a person does with this recommendation is up to them
Bruce(humble fish says 5-7 day interval based on severity)
You are missing the point. The pt of discussion or confusion is on the 72-hour info.

1A41804A-EF4B-4814-A1ED-72F3FEACDE65.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is good for 3 days. After a water change, you can do another dosage and that’s in-line with what the box says too (ie no more than once every 3 days) so idk what you’re talking about.

using PRAZI does require good aeration but that’s independent of the dosing regime.

View attachment 3059074

I know the person who invented Prazipro, John Kuhns. I've reached out to him on FB to ask him about this issue, but he never responded, I think he is off FB since he sold his company.

Here is the issue - when he developed the dosing for this, he was only thinking of live bearing fluke species. He is a chemist. He didn't realize that praziquantel does NOT kill fluke eggs. He also didn't realize that bacteria in the aquarium breakdown praziquantel in <36 hours (the study that shows that came out long after this product was on the market). So - what happens is you add one dose and that kills the adult flukes, but not the eggs. That prazi breaks down. If the species of flukes were live bearers, you are good to go. About 2/3s of marine flukes are egg layers though. In that case, the eggs in the tank then hatch and the larva attack the fish again. You need to dose a second time to kill those, BEFORE they have a chance to lay their own eggs. The timing for this is around 8 or 9 days between doses. However, prazi is not a 100% medication and the egg hatch timing is not set in stone either. I've seen 3, 4 and even five treatments needed to break the life cycle of Neobenedenia flukes. The trouble is, the bacteria that breaks down the prazi grows and gets better at doing that with each treatment.

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the person who invented Prazipro, John Kuhns. I've reached out to him on FB to ask him about this issue, but he never responded, I think he is off FB since he sold his company.

Here is the issue - when he developed the dosing for this, he was only thinking of live bearing fluke species. He is a chemist. He didn't realize that praziquantel does NOT kill fluke eggs. He also didn't realize that bacteria in the aquarium breakdown praziquantel in <36 hours (the study that shows that came out long after this product was on the market). So - what happens is you add one dose and that kills the adult flukes, but not the eggs. That prazi breaks down. If the species of flukes were live bearers, you are good to go. About 2/3s of marine flukes are egg layers though. In that case, the eggs in the tank then hatch and the larva attack the fish again. You need to dose a second time to kill those, BEFORE they have a chance to lay their own eggs. The timing for this is around 8 or 9 days between doses. However, prazi is not a 100% medication and the egg hatch timing is not set in stone either. I've seen 3, 4 and even five treatments needed to break the life cycle of Neobenedenia flukes. The trouble is, the bacteria that breaks down the prazi grows and gets better at doing that with each treatment.

Jay
Thanks, so isn’t it still an issue to only administer the 2nd dosage 156 hours after praziquantel was used up within the first 36 hours? Since it is reported that praziquantel is “gentle on fish” with the exception of wrasses, would it be a better practice to do a WC after 36 hours and then make the 2nd dosage? Then observe to see how things go before administering more dosage in case if the previous rounds miss on the timing of the eggs hatching.

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Also, what is your experience in using Fenbendazole against marine flukes?

World Wide Corals

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my hippo is over 3 years ago, it was tiny and looked healthy and I put it in the tank, same day I bought it, no QT. I may have been too daring but I hate to take or give medecin when not sick.
The issue with this approach is the reliance on visual observation to conclude if a fish is healthy or not. It’s mostly based on luck. So the question becomes - how much risk are you willing to take?

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the protocol is the protocol - if you want to change it - go for it. IMHO - it's important - to realize that ALL of these medications - whether slightly or much worse - are more toxic than giving nothing. There does not seem to be any reason to give the medication after 3 days - since you're needing to wait for the eggs to hatch. If you think its a low risk medication - and you decide to give it every 3 days - go ahead - I think the issue is - you're just providing more risk to your fish - with no benefit - no matter how simple the medication seems to be on the fish. @Jay Hemdal

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back