Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I haven't had to properly qt a fish for years. We had a fish pass a week ago and just bought a baby hippo tang. So hard to find a direct answer but do I still minimum copper treat with copper power for 2 weeks even if the fish looms fine? Or is everyone still doing a month anyway? Thanks

AquaCave Logo Banner

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I haven't had to properly qt a fish for years. We had a fish pass a week ago and just bought a baby hippo tang. So hard to find a direct answer but do I still minimum copper treat with copper power for 2 weeks even if the fish looms fine? Or is everyone still doing a month anyway? Thanks
Always one week of prazi (2 dosage) and a minimum of 3 weeks of copper at 2.0ppm

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Go copper 30 days at 2.0-2.25 and you can follow with Praziquantel (optional) for two weeks After the copper treatment.
Even if quarantined fish purchased- Assume they have something. It is essential to use a reliable copper test kit (hanna recommended) as it is not hard to overdose as two reefers Very recently found out

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow our resident staff member Jay Hemdal's methods. He is a marine biologist. See this sticky thread:

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow our resident staff member Jay Hemdal's methods. He is a marine biologist. See this sticky thread:

I read it. But I wasn't sure if it was the same for fish that look healthy. It's ok. It's going to allow dory to have no competition for food and me to observe correctly that she's eating. Plus we can bond

World Wide Corals
Avast

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Always one week of prazi (2 dosage) and a minimum of 3 weeks of copper at 2.0ppm
two dosages in a week- Absolutely not and its a full 30 days of copper and not even the manufacturer recommends this. Having glycol in the medication, would surely remove oxygen and kill a fish

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two dosages in a week- Absolutely not and its a full 30 days of copper and not even the manufacturer recommends this. Having glycol in the medication, would surely remove oxygen and kill a fish
Prazipro is good for 3 days. After a water change, you can do another dosage and that’s in-line with what the box says too (ie no more than once every 3 days) so idk what you’re talking about.

using PRAZI does require good aeration but that’s independent of the dosing regime.

5C6DE691-E954-4DD4-9E2C-AD203712EC92.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Prazipro is good for 3 days. After a water change, you can do another dosage and that’s in-line with what the box says too (ie no more than once every 3 days) so idk what you’re talking about.

using PRAZI does require good aeration but that’s independent of the dosing regime.

View attachment 3059074
It clearly states treat 7 days and if you want to re-treat again, No more than once every 3 days and a huge difference maker which means NO MORE than 4 treatments in 28 days. Be careful what you read:

SHAKE VIGOROUSLY before use. Measure Liquid PraziPro® at the rate of one (1) teaspoon (~5mL) per 20 (76L) gallons of water to be treated (one [1] fl. oz. [29.5 mL] per 120 gallons [454L]). Care should be taken to treat the exact amount of water in the system. This means deductions for substrate, rock or coral and any other internal equipment is necessary. You can calculate the amount of water in your aquarium by taking a measurement of the length x width x depth of the area with water and dividing by 231 for approximate volume. This produces a concentration of 2.5 mg/L. Distribute the proper amount around the edge of the pond or aquarium or directly in to the filter box to achieve the best overall distribution. A single treatment lasting 5-7 days may be sufficient. Retreat as necessary, but no more than once every 3 days. May be used as a preventative, at the standard dosage, when disease is likely. Do not use with any other drugs or disease treatments. May cause noticeable temporary foaming. It's important to note that most parasites in the class that PraziPro® would be used for have up to a 28 day life cycle. This means for major issues, up to four (4), uninterrupted treatments may be required to resolve the issue. Over dosing will not speed

Top Shelf Aquatics

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating fish with medication requires more than just following exactly what the box says and argues or implies others’ opinions are wrong when it isn’t following the script 100%. That’s why we have the existence of industry experts such as Humble fish & others.

I expressed my opinion based on personal experience which covers the spectrum from following exactly what the box says to experimenting experts opinions.

the attached are some of my sources that helped to establish what works for me.

65442966-9D98-41C2-A973-209BB2BE46E1.png 3C7B91CE-D8EB-4D87-8117-A747088DA625.png 3458EA26-6BDE-4B36-B36E-12E31A10F249.png

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always thought that the Prazipro instructions on the container are not clear regarding the 3 days. And I took it to mean the same as OP. You can redose after 3 days. Per this review of the product website "https://www.aquarium-water-treatments.com/review/hikari-prazipro-review/" they say Prazipro will deactivate after 3 days. I would like to know what Hikari says about their wording but since it is a Saturday we can't contact them.

"Add PraziPro according to the dosage instructions on the bottle. Wait for 3 days for the Praziquantel to deactivate. Do a water change of at least 25% on day 4. Rinse and repeat process on a weekly basis to get rid of flukes. The follow up is important to eliminate freshly hatched fluke eggs. If your fish seems overly infected, treat tank with chelated copper, prior to the treatment."

Personally, I have not been successful using Prazipro to treat flukes. In desperation, I tried Seachem Cupramine. My understanding is it does contain copper but what other medicines, I don't know. If you look at the questions on their online instructions, it does state that it will treat flukes. It worked for me. :)

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always thought that the Prazipro instructions on the container are not clear regarding the 3 days. And I took it to mean the same as OP. You can redose after 3 days. Per this review of the product website "https://www.aquarium-water-treatments.com/review/hikari-prazipro-review/" they say Prazipro will deactivate after 3 days. I would like to know what Hikari says about their wording but since it is a Saturday we can't contact them.

"Add PraziPro according to the dosage instructions on the bottle. Wait for 3 days for the Praziquantel to deactivate. Do a water change of at least 25% on day 4. Rinse and repeat process on a weekly basis to get rid of flukes. The follow up is important to eliminate freshly hatched fluke eggs. If your fish seems overly infected, treat tank with chelated copper, prior to the treatment."

Personally, I have not been successful using Prazipro to treat flukes. In desperation, I tried Seachem Cupramine. My understanding is it does contain copper but what other medicines, I don't know. If you look at the questions on their online instructions, it does state that it will treat flukes. It worked for me. :)
These are fish meds and not people meds so those instructions aren’t under the same scrutiny so it is confusing at times and that is exactly why self research and experience are important.

copper such as coppersafe or maybe others does state that it treats flukes. But there are many types of marine fluke so it’s best not to assume a med like copper which is primarily used to treat ick or velvet is just as effective in treating flukes. Praziquantel is the most common meds for the types of fluke that attack fish’s head, eyes, gills, and bodies. Hikari blends that with its own mix of liquid and sells it under the name of Prazipro. It carries a praziquantel concentration of 2.5 mg/l. API mixes praziquantel with metro with their ratio and sells it under the name of General Cure. It has a praziquantel concentration of 2.0 mg/l plus some deworming capability. You can also buy the pure powder form of praziquantel online and make your own by mixing it with DMSO liquid. There are instructions online on how to do that to get to the concentration that you are looking for. In general, 2.0 is for more sensitive fish like wrasses and 2.5 is for everyone else.

outside of praziquantel, another meds called Fenbendazole is also known to treat flukes. I’ve just begun trying that out so I don’t have any advise on that.

it’s important always add extra aeration during treatments.

Last edited:
Avast

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating fish with medication requires more than just following exactly what the box says and argues or implies others’ opinions are wrong when it isn’t following the script 100%. That’s why we have the existence of industry experts such as Humble fish & others.

I expressed my opinion based on personal experience which covers the spectrum from following exactly what the box says to experimenting experts opinions.

the attached are some of my sources that helped to establish what works for me.

View attachment 3059113 View attachment 3059114 View attachment 3059115

The information by humble fish is a little out of date

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back